Credit rating in UK

Old May 3rd 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

wareeswally will become famous soon enoughwareeswally will become famous soon enough
Default Credit rating in UK

Wonder if anyonewho has moved back from another country to the UK and once back, had trouble with obtaining credit rating.

We are moving back to the UK in the summer having been out in Canada for only a year and wonder if we will have the same problems we had when we arrived over here , having no credit rating?
Old May 4th 2009, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit rating in UK

We were out of the country for two years. I don't know if my credit rating disappeared entirely, but I have twice been turned down for credit on account of having been out of the country. Once was for a store card and once for a loan. I am an accountant and had previously a very high credit rating.

So conclusion, you could have some problems. I did however keep a UK bank account open throughout my absence and have been with them for 15 years, so they gave me a mortgage and a new credit card with them.
Old May 4th 2009, 11:00 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

You won't have a credit rating. What you need to do is start transferring funds into a UK bank account on a regular basis. They like to see 500.00 pounds minimum for 3 months, then they may consider giving you a credit card. Once you start paying off your UK credit card, it starts to create a new credit rating but it takes a while.
Make sure you come back to the UK with enough cash to rent upfront for 6 month, buy a car outright and anything else that you might otherwise have bought on credit.
Obtaining a UK credit card is a good starting point to getting your credit rating back on track.
Old May 4th 2009, 12:16 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite a helpful link. One thing to remember, if you get refused credit, make sure they write it down as that you have no credit rating because you've not been in the country. An explanation needs to be included otherwise the more you get turned down without an explanation, the more it's assumed that you are a risk so in fact instead of gaining a credit rating, if you're no careful you'll gain a file which suggests you are too big a risk to be given credit. Don;t leave the shop without making them write down the reason on file for the refusal of credit.
http://www.metro.co.uk/help-and-advi...&in_page_id=36
Old May 4th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

wareeswally will become famous soon enoughwareeswally will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your replies - very helpful.
Old May 4th 2009, 3:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

So does keeping an active CC and a Bank account you use every couple of years give you a credit rating in UK?
Old May 4th 2009, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
So does keeping an active CC and a Bank account you use every couple of years give you a credit rating in UK?
We kept our bank account open in UK, used it now and again over 3 years while we were in Perth, but now we are back in UK we still had no credit rating. Our score was miserable and were 'very high risk'
Makes you sick when you've done nothing wrong and paid all your bills/morgage on time.
I tried hopelessly to explain to credit companies why we had no score, but they don't want to know.
Old May 4th 2009, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

No, I kept a UK CC and an active bank account whilst I was away. My own bank, who I had been with for 15 years were ok with me on my return and was able to get a mortgage with them, but that was based on my good history with them. Elsewhere we were turned down on account of having had an overseas address.
Old May 4th 2009, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

We've kept a UK bank account and credit card going but I was wondering about getting mobile phone contracts set up. We had such a problem here in Canada.
Old May 4th 2009, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wareeswally
We've kept a UK bank account and credit card going but I was wondering about getting mobile phone contracts set up. We had such a problem here in Canada.
I had no problem getting a mobile phone contract set up.
Old May 4th 2009, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by wareeswally
Because we had no credit score we had to pay 300 pounds upfront for a mobile phone on contract.
Old May 4th 2009, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We've kept our accounts open for 13 years...although they are used on a monthly basis to pay direct debits. Our credit score is good...even managed to get a M&S credit card last year.