Credit History in UK

Old Jul 7th 2007, 1:10 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit History in UK

I think I read somewhere -- and I don't remember where, but I'll try to find it -- that if you get your US credit report printed out and present it to bank or whatever, it can *help* with getting one in the UK.

When I go back, I'm hoping it'll be ok to maintain a bank account in the US and I'll make electronic transfers and pay credit card bills on line. Hoping this'll work, at least at first.

Sarah in TX
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:18 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baadil
I will defo check out experian and other credit companies websites...
Infocheck is the other one I think...
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

My US bank is owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland but when I moved over it still didn't help with credit rating etc., I'm going in to see them Monday to see if it's any easier the other way round.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:07 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
I think I read somewhere -- and I don't remember where, but I'll try to find it -- that if you get your US credit report printed out and present it to bank or whatever, it can *help* with getting one in the UK.
I hunted around on the Internet last night to see if I could find where I'd read this, but had no luck. Maybe I dreamt it.

However, in my hunting, I didn't find *anything* that was very encouraging about establishing credit when you return.

I did find this http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/b...urocurrent.htm and wondered whether setting up a citibank account in the US now might be helpful when going back . . . On the US side they have this: http://www.citibank.com/geb/global/. May be something to look into. I might not understand all the ramifications . . .

Sarah in TX
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:10 pm
Feels great to be home!

Forgot to say . . . I wondered if it would work to have a family member/friend as a co-applicant . . .

Sarah in TX
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a quick chat with my sister. She lived overseas in the EU for four years and didn't keep residency, banks etc., in the UK.

She managed to get a private rental when she moved back but she did put down three months rent in advance. She opened an account with Barclays who she said were quite good and gave her a switch card but not overdraft facility. She got a small credit line with a credit card company, used it every month and paid it off. Then two years later she was able to apply for and get a mortgage. Huge great scary mortgage.

That was four years ago so I don't know how much it's changed since then. She said her biggest challenge was getting a phone line from BT!

I'll let you know how I get on with my bank on Monday.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DrWho
Infocheck is the other one I think...
Hello Doc,

This seems like a Fake/Advert site where they have nothing but advertisements and the simply send you to other sites after earning their per-click money.

Thanks.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:18 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Doc,

This seems like a Fake/Advert site where they have nothing but advertisements and the simply send you to other sites after earning their per-click money.

Thanks.
Ooer... I was sure there used to be something a little more worthwhile there...!

There's equifax too I think...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

We spoke with a few banks back in England and they said they would accept our credit history here as its the same companies like experian etc. If they actually would when it comes down to it is another story! It usually depends who you get. We are going to print out our credit report and take in as much in the way of mortgage history, bank and card statements. They can still do things manually there.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

does anyone know if the difficulites are eased when you can prove employment and salary? we will be looking for a rental in a couple of months, and also trying to set up things like phone line, etc. I am hoping it's not going to be a huge ordeal (I have no credit in the UK either--but excellent in the US).

One thought. Is there anything to stop you keeping hold of your US credit cards for a while and just paying them off electronically? (Maybe keeping some funds in a U.S. bank account?) What am I not thinking of here? Is it difficult to transfer funds (costly?) This will end up being a larger issue for me, as we'll likely still be paying a mortgage in the U.S.

I might check on UK-Yankees.com for this one.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

this might be helpful if you have bank accounts in the US and the UK. Apparently you can set up a money transfer with moneycorp.com. Its very reasonable (nothing like wire costs) and they will take a set amount out of your UK bank account every month. This might be one way to use U.S. credit cards while you establish credit, and pay them off with your pounds.

I have heard it's important that to get a good rate you set up a regular transfer and sign up for at least a year or two. Also, if your US bank charges a fee for the transfer they refund this fee.. free of charge.

www.moneycorp.com
www.xe.com

See: http://www.moneycorp.com/personal/emigrants/
and: http://www.moneycorp.com/personal/payments/
Old Jul 14th 2007, 4:20 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingajoy
One thought. Is there anything to stop you keeping hold of your US credit cards for a while and just paying them off electronically?
AFAIK there's no legal problem with that. However, if your credit card companies find out that you're leaving the USA long term, they *might* decide that they want you to clear your balances and close the accounts - it's all down the individual policies of the companies concerned.

We're UK expats living in Dubai, and we've kept bank accounts and credit cards in the UK, paying off balances by electronic funds transfer... but then, they're all registered under UK addresses. We don't get any correspondence about them sent to Dubai. It might be different in the USA, but it's highly advisable for UK expats who plan to return permanently to the UK at some point to keep at least one bank account open while they're away - it means you stay on the files of the various credit history companies, which makes it easier to set things up when you come home again.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 5:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
AFAIK there's no legal problem with that. However, if your credit card companies find out that you're leaving the USA long term, they *might* decide that they want you to clear your balances and close the accounts - it's all down the individual policies of the companies concerned.

We're UK expats living in Dubai, and we've kept bank accounts and credit cards in the UK, paying off balances by electronic funds transfer... but then, they're all registered under UK addresses. We don't get any correspondence about them sent to Dubai. It might be different in the USA, but it's highly advisable for UK expats who plan to return permanently to the UK at some point to keep at least one bank account open while they're away - it means you stay on the files of the various credit history companies, which makes it easier to set things up when you come home again.
UK banks and building society will send correspondence to an overseas address.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

subwoofer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My wife and I have excellent credit history here in the US but very limited in UK. We have several bank accounts there with minor usage history in the last 5 years. What is the best/fastest way to build credit history there to be able to get credit card etc?

Last time we went there, I kept my US credit cards and used them as needed. My CC companies sent me my statements to my UK address without any problem. The only thing I do not like about this is that there is always currency conversion and sometime foreign currency add-on charges. Plus to be able to make payment, I have to convert money again.

Is there any credit card company that will check your US history and offer you a card?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.
I understand completley. My wife and I live on Ascension Island which is a British Overseas Territory. For my work I use a mail forwarding address which is via London. Confused? You will be. After over 10 years away from the UK, I cannot get a copy of my credit report because I am not registered as a UK citizen. I dont pay rent, UK taxes or utility bills so I cant use them to prove who/ wehre I am. We want to go back to the UK one day and thats where the fun will start I think
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:22 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
UK banks and building society will send correspondence to an overseas address.
Yes, I know. We *deliberately* do not get any correspondence sent to Dubai.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.