Credit History in UK

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit History in UK

Hi,

My wife and I have excellent credit history here in the US but very limited in UK. We have several bank accounts there with minor usage history in the last 5 years. What is the best/fastest way to build credit history there to be able to get credit card etc?

Last time we went there, I kept my US credit cards and used them as needed. My CC companies sent me my statements to my UK address without any problem. The only thing I do not like about this is that there is always currency conversion and sometime foreign currency add-on charges. Plus to be able to make payment, I have to convert money again.

Is there any credit card company that will check your US history and offer you a card?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 12:42 am
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit History in UK

Originally Posted by Baadil
Hi,

My wife and I have excellent credit history here in the US but very limited in UK. We have several bank accounts there with minor usage history in the last 5 years. What is the best/fastest way to build credit history there to be able to get credit card etc?

Last time we went there, I kept my US credit cards and used them as needed. My CC companies sent me my statements to my UK address without any problem. The only thing I do not like about this is that there is always currency conversion and sometime foreign currency add-on charges. Plus to be able to make payment, I have to convert money again.

Is there any credit card company that will check your US history and offer you a card?

Thanks.
I am sure most will , as there Visa and mastercard linked worldwide so a good rating in US will be reflected here in the UK ..
so no worrys on that one .
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Big Pete
I am sure most will , as there Visa and mastercard linked worldwide so a good rating in US will be reflected here in the UK ..
hmmm, I tried Capitol One and they told me they are owned by the parent company but are handled as seperate for each country and they cannot check credit in the US. This is a big blow as I can close my eyes and get a platinum card in the US while in UK I may have hard time getting 1,000 card limit.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:43 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

This situation is ludicrous in this day and age. I have also been told several times by people that even though i have 2 credit cards held by companies trading in UK that they cannot use my exemplorary Australian credit history to score me for a UK one from the same people!!
Makes you wonder what the point is of this new technological age, when you cant even secure something this simple by references from your current card issuer!!
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
This situation is ludicrous in this day and age. I have also been told several times by people that even though i have 2 credit cards held by companies trading in UK that they cannot use my exemplorary Australian credit history to score me for a UK one from the same people!!
Makes you wonder what the point is of this new technological age, when you cant even secure something this simple by references from your current card issuer!!
So true. Even though we have had our accounts for over 5 years in UK, I do not thik I will get card worth any £ at all initially. I am so used to using cards that it is hard to believe I will have to use cash or checks again. But that might be better. No cash no shopping :-)
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So true. Even though we have had our accounts for over 5 years in UK, I do not thik I will get card worth any £ at all initially. I am so used to using cards that it is hard to believe I will have to use cash or checks again. But that might be better. No cash no shopping :-)
The reason behind it is actually to protect people's privacy.
Because privacy laws are different in each country its not possible for a company in one country, bound by that country's laws, to check credit details in a different country because its not bound by the laws of the second country. If country B released info on someone to country A, then country A could easily misuse/publish/broadcast the info and country B would have no recourse because the company in A is not bound by the same laws.

Bit confusing, but basically it comes down to protecting the private and personal info of the individual.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The reason behind it is actually to protect people's privacy.
Because privacy laws are different in each country its not possible for a company in one country, bound by that country's laws, to check credit details in a different country because its not bound by the laws of the second country. If country B released info on someone to country A, then country A could easily misuse/publish/broadcast the info and country B would have no recourse because the company in A is not bound by the same laws.

Bit confusing, but basically it comes down to protecting the private and personal info of the individual.
hmmm, you are probably true. But it makes me thing we are in a different era now. Global economy and all. They could probably come up with options where they get authorization from you before checking your credit in a different country. I dunno, I am just babbling but in this age of technology I am sure they could fine a way
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 2:39 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a nightmare as I haven't lived there for so long I have a zero credit rating. They reckon once you get a credit card and pay it off on time monthly that it builds it up. But you can't get a credit card until you've been here a year (seemingly). Although now i'm quite glad I havent been able to get credit as I'm not in debt.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't work that way when you come to live in the US. You can't transfer Mastercard or Visa accounts...having them in the UK means nothing when applying for one in the US.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It doesn't work that way when you come to live in the US. You can't transfer Mastercard or Visa accounts...having them in the UK means nothing when applying for one in the US.
I do not think its to do with uk at all, but instead with credit card companies. I do not think they are keeping up with some of the newer technologies etc.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think its to do with uk at all, but instead with credit card companies. I do not think they are keeping up with some of the newer technologies etc.
It's because they are separate companies. ie US Visa vs UK Visa
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:16 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.
have a look on the uk sites for experian and the other credit site whose name has completely gone out of my brain!!!
anyway, one of the first things you must do is get yourself on the electoral roll where ever it is you move to in the uk, as i beleive this is one of the first things you need to 'credit score'. ring around all the banks and building societies to find out who will give you a credit card as a newly returned expat ... there are some that will give you credit, its just a case of finding the right one - and if you have kept accounts open with a bank in the uk, have you enquired with them? surely if you get on the electoral roll and take us bank statements/proof of uk income once back working they should offer you some sort of credit card; even one with a low limit??
good luck,
sue
Old Jul 6th 2007, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sue. Isn't Electoral Roll for citizens only? I am not a UK citizen.

I will defo check out experian and other credit companies websites. I totally spaced that out.

Yes, we kept our accounts and I have now applied for some cards from my banks and others like Amex. I guess until I get my UK cards, I will just use my US credit cards. They have sent me statements in UK before or I can simply go with electronic statements.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
have a look on the uk sites for experian and the other credit site whose name has completely gone out of my brain!!!
anyway, one of the first things you must do is get yourself on the electoral roll where ever it is you move to in the uk, as i beleive this is one of the first things you need to 'credit score'. ring around all the banks and building societies to find out who will give you a credit card as a newly returned expat ... there are some that will give you credit, its just a case of finding the right one - and if you have kept accounts open with a bank in the uk, have you enquired with them? surely if you get on the electoral roll and take us bank statements/proof of uk income once back working they should offer you some sort of credit card; even one with a low limit??
good luck,
sue
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:52 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, I tried Capitol One and they told me they are owned by the parent company but are handled as seperate for each country and they cannot check credit in the US. This is a big blow as I can close my eyes and get a platinum card in the US while in UK I may have hard time getting 1,000 card limit.
Hmmmmmm you suprise me .

I am getting away to Spain and opened a account with SOLBANK and they was practically giving me a chinese burn to have one of there cards !! hmmmmm weird that ,
Mind you i bank with HSBC and i know they work closely with SOLBANK ie; they do all there Mortgages in Spain..
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmm you suprise me .

I am getting away to Spain and opened a account with SOLBANK and they was practically giving me a chinese burn to have one of there cards !! hmmmmm weird that ,
Mind you i bank with HSBC and i know they work closely with SOLBANK ie; they do all there Mortgages in Spain..

The UK can share credit information within Europe, but not any further afield than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.