Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Credit Checks in UK after Canada

Credit Checks in UK after Canada

Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold
Default Credit Checks in UK after Canada

Hi

Does anyone have any insight or experience of the following?

We are applying to rent a house in the UK. Hubby is already there and I am still here in Canada. We have agreed to pay 6 month's rent in advance as assurity since we won't have jobs initially. Estate agent has just sent me the application forms (for which there is a 185 pounds fee to submit). The forms (one for me and one for HUbby) are from the company "Rent4sure". From loking at their website, I can see that this company carries out a type of background check on us and provides the Estate Agent with an "Accept" or "Deny" determination, along with a profile. They verify employment, do a reference check with previous landlord, and do a credit check. Further internet research tells me that Rent4sure has a contract with "Callcredit" for the credit checks. From what I can tell, this is a UK company.

So this brings me to my questions/worries....

All of our (good) credit history is based in Canada. I have recent copies of my Canadian equifax reports-all good.

Will this "Callcredit" company simply run a UK search on us-to which they will find no history therefore bad credit score....or will they access Canadian records, for example run a Canadian Equifax report?

I am obsessively stressing out over every detail of this!!

If we could just secure this house, I would feel so much more relaxed. I'd know that me and the kids have a "home" to go to, I'd have somewhere to ship the dogs to, and somewhere to ship our stuff to. I would also know how early we can all get over there.

Anyways, if someone could shed some light on this whole credit check issue that would be great.

Thanks!!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Checks in UK after Canada

Originally Posted by cancov
Hi

We are applying to rent a house in the UK. Hubby is already there and I am still here in Canada. We have agreed to pay 6 month's rent in advance as assurity since we won't have jobs initially. Estate agent has just sent me the application forms (for which there is a 185 pounds fee to submit). The forms (one for me and one for HUbby) are from the company "Rent4sure". From loking at their website, I can see that this company carries out a type of background check on us and provides the Estate Agent with an "Accept" or "Deny" determination, along with a profile. They verify employment, do a reference check with previous landlord, and do a credit check. Further internet research tells me that Rent4sure has a contract with "Callcredit" for the credit checks. From what I can tell, this is a UK company.

All of our (good) credit history is based in Canada. I have recent copies of my Canadian equifax reports-all good.

Will this "Callcredit" company simply run a UK search on us-to which they will find no history therefore bad credit score....or will they access Canadian records, for example run a Canadian Equifax report?

If we could just secure this house, I would feel so much more relaxed. I'd know that me and the kids have a "home" to go to, I'd have somewhere to ship the dogs to, and somewhere to ship our stuff to. I would also know how early we can all get over there.

Anyways, if someone could shed some light on this whole credit check issue that would be great.

Thanks!!
Hi,

My husband is now also back in England while I sort everything here. We rented a house over the internet before we left.
We were told that if we paid for 6 months rent in advance then no credit check was needed.
We were initially going to do this but instead let them do the credit check. It went on our landlord here in NZ and a reference from my husbands employer. They may ask for bank details as you are not returning to a job.

Off topic but just to say I we also hail from Coventry. We lived there all our lives before coming here. We are now going to North Yorkshire for something completly different.

Good Luck with the move.

Carole
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,

My husband is now also back in England while I sort everything here. We rented a house over the internet before we left.
We were told that if we paid for 6 months rent in advance then no credit check was needed.
We were initially going to do this but instead let them do the credit check. It went on our landlord here in NZ and a reference from my husbands employer. They may ask for bank details as you are not returning to a job.

Off topic but just to say I we also hail from Coventry. We lived there all our lives before coming here. We are now going to North Yorkshire for something completly different.

Good Luck with the move.

Carole
Thanks for that....it seems we are having to pay the 6 months rent in advance AND go through this reference and credit check thing too. How frustrating. I just really hope they do a Canadian Credit check. If I knew this Rent4sure company used Equifax then I wouldn't be so worried, since they have it in Canada. But I've never heard of Callcredit or whatever it is.

Where in Cov are you from? How long have you been in NZ?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that....it seems we are having to pay the 6 months rent in advance AND go through this reference and credit check thing too. How frustrating. I just really hope they do a Canadian Credit check. If I knew this Rent4sure company used Equifax then I wouldn't be so worried, since they have it in Canada. But I've never heard of Callcredit or whatever it is.

I grew up in Mount Nod, finished living in Tile Hill, kids went to Tile Hill and Woodlands. Moved here 5.5 years ago. Was very happy with the schools and more than happy in Coventry.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
I grew up in Mount Nod, finished living in Tile Hill, kids went to Tile Hill and Woodlands. Moved here 5.5 years ago. Was very happy with the schools and more than happy in Coventry.
I used to live in Tile Hill too about 15 years ago, but in the council estate in Delius St. My ex MIL lived in Hathaway Road.

Small world!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

I used to live in Tile Hill too about 15 years ago, but in the council estate in Delius St. My ex MIL lived in Hathaway Road.

Small world!
Ha very much so, I went to Tile Hill Wood as did my sister, and then as a family we moved to Nutbrook Ave ready for our daughter to go to Tile Hill. The others went to surrounding schools.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this thread by SallySimmonds... it might help about the credit check question. Good luck!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753085
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:26 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Thanks!!
Hi Cancov
We were told they couldn't do a credit check as we had been out of the country (albeit for a shorter time than you) but we did have a print out of our equifax report which they looked at plus proof of funds from bank account. If you are paying 6 months up front then it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gillyd65
Hi Cancov
We were told they couldn't do a credit check as we had been out of the country (albeit for a shorter time than you) but we did have a print out of our equifax report which they looked at plus proof of funds from bank account. If you are paying 6 months up front then it shouldn't be a problem.
I was also told the same over the phone, however my question to everyone is, do they still take a reference/admin fee from you even though you are paying 6 months rent in advance.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Back2UK
I was also told the same over the phone, however my question to everyone is, do they still take a reference/admin fee from you even though you are paying 6 months rent in advance.
They did with us. We had to pay 185 pounds. And if we are successful with "referencing" (which according to the form includes checks on employment, income, credit check, and previous landlord reference), we then have to pay 95 pounds "for the tenancy agreement, one and a half month's rent as a bond, AND six month's rent in advance!!!!!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

They did with us. We had to pay 185 pounds. And if we are successful with "referencing" (which according to the form includes checks on employment, income, credit check, and previous landlord reference), we then have to pay 95 pounds "for the tenancy agreement, one and a half month's rent as a bond, AND six month's rent in advance!!!!!
Thanks Cancov, Robbers lol

Good luck with it all.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:12 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you this for certain, they cannot run your credit in Canada from the UK, its just not possible, I am pretty certain your landlord/Estate Agent knows you'll have no credit in the UK, which is not as bad as actually having bad credit btw. Thats why you are paying 6 months in advance.

You need to stop stressing. Even if you have bad credit 6 months rent in advance pays for a lot of "blind eye syndrome" on behalf of your landlord i'd suspect
Old Aug 24th 2012, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ldollard
I can tell you this for certain, they cannot run your credit in Canada from the UK, its just not possible, I am pretty certain your landlord/Estate Agent knows you'll have no credit in the UK, which is not as bad as actually having bad credit btw. Thats why you are paying 6 months in advance.

You need to stop stressing. Even if you have bad credit 6 months rent in advance pays for a lot of "blind eye syndrome" on behalf of your landlord i'd suspect
Thanks.....

as an update, we did get the house.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 12:23 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.....

as an update, we did get the house.
Thats great.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Paws3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All
Am running into the same problem. Did you go through a estate agent/letting agent or just an ad in the paper? We are coming home in Dec and want to get into a flat before Christmas but these 'credit checks' seem to take a long time. Is there anything I can do from over here to speed things up? Six months rent would not be a problem for us (I don't really want a 6 month rent but I can't find any shorter...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.