Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

CRB checks/warning on wait time, if returning to UK!

CRB checks/warning on wait time, if returning to UK!

Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

loubie will become famous soon enough
Default CRB checks/warning on wait time, if returning to UK!

Just a warning to anyone that requires a CRB check.....we returned from Australia in Decemember 09. I signed up with a nursing agency....the frist CRB got lost in the post and another submitted in early January. I since have a job in the NHS and have joined another agency....i have 3 checks in there at present and none back!!

The frustrating thing is that we sold our house in Aus......so we have some funds from that....which we were hoping to use as a deposit.....we are now having to live on that money as we are not entitled to any benefits, due to not paying NI.....and having some savings

Just thought it maybe useful for anyone returning.....also anyone got any tips about where i can take this......as its crazy! The work is there...but i cant work
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CRB checks/warning on wait time, if returning to UK!

Originally Posted by loubie
Just a warning to anyone that requires a CRB check.....we returned from Australia in Decemember 09. I signed up with a nursing agency....the frist CRB got lost in the post and another submitted in early January. I since have a job in the NHS and have joined another agency....i have 3 checks in there at present and none back!!

The frustrating thing is that we sold our house in Aus......so we have some funds from that....which we were hoping to use as a deposit.....we are now having to live on that money as we are not entitled to any benefits, due to not paying NI.....and having some savings

Just thought it maybe useful for anyone returning.....also anyone got any tips about where i can take this......as its crazy! The work is there...but i cant work
Have you tried your MP for wherever you're living now?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

4/6 wks is the Norm..

Give them a call....they will let you know..
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by jaxslad
4/6 wks is the Norm..

Give them a call....they will let you know..
4-6 weeks is the norm, except if you're returning from living overseas it can take up to 3 months. Mine took about 11 weeks, and I got through savings needed for other things. Returning to the UK isn't all it's cracked up to be. Don't even get me started about the poxy council tax.........
Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

So did'nt pay any property tax where you came from?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks...i contacted the MP.....and they are on the case! Its so crap....that we have to eat through savings!! Its good to hear from other people in the same boat! But........it shouldnt be that hard in our mother country...i could have gone back and earnt some more money in Aus!!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:37 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

OH had the very same problem when we returned.

Also be aware with nursing agencies that you also have to complete induction courses before you can start work too!! This can be a right pain as you have to wait until the course dates come up.
I also dont understand why you have to go through repeated CRB checks for each agency. OH applied to 3 agencies and he had to go through and wait for the outcome 3 times.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

yes its crazy.....and its thirty six pounds a time! The only one i havent had to pay for is the good old NHS!! Thanks for the agency advise!! Hopefully i can start work in the nhs first, as the induction there apparently will satisfy the nursing agencies!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Hi,
regarding claiming benefits on returning, such as job seekers, as I understand it, if you pass the Habitual Residency Test and are a British Citizen you should be able to claim. I could be wrong though...
Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:06 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodfan
Hi,
regarding claiming benefits on returning, such as job seekers, as I understand it, if you pass the Habitual Residency Test and are a British Citizen you should be able to claim. I could be wrong though...
No you are not wrong.

If you are a British citizen you can claim, but we couldnt as my husband is a New Zealander who has just arrived on a spouse visa. Send a PM to BristolUK. He used to work for the DSS and has given a lot of helpful advice to people on this subject.

Anyone who will need a CRB for their field of work must factor the time it takes to complete the red tape, when budgeting your return.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

We are not entitled to benefits because we have savings and have not paid national insurance for the past 4 years! We have been down that route....could get job seekers with no money but they will pay national insurance! Its crap!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:33 am
I don't give a damn

We are not entitled to benefits because we have savings and have not paid national insurance for the past 4 years! We have been down that route....could get job seekers with no money but they will pay national insurance! Its crap!
Oh i see, sorry, i didnt notice that you had savings.

What field of nursing are you in?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mental health and learning disability!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:19 pm
I don't give a damn

Mental health and learning disability!

Well. what a coincidence. My husband is in mental health, but forensic phychiatry.

He is about to make the biggest career leap of his life being head of nursing within a prison.

What area of UK are u in? He used to get quite a bit of good work from one of the agencies he signed up with if you are anywhere near Essex i can PM you their details
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi.....yes we live in North Essex......pm the details! That is a big leap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.