Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Council House/Housing Association etc...

Wikiposts

Council House/Housing Association etc...

Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council House/Housing Association etc...

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
One last question on this subject. Does anyone have any idea how the cost of a LA rent compares to the cost of a private rent, in any given area, for similar homes
LA is generally cheaper. Housing Benefit is now a standard allowance based on 'average' rents. But until a couple of years ago it was based on real rent and may have been limited if rent was considered to be too high in relation to what was available.
LA and Housing Association rents were paid in full with no restrictions because they were always reasonable or fair. Only for privately rented properties were benefits resticted to less than the rent.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
LA is generally cheaper. Housing Benefit is now a standard allowance based on 'average' rents. But until a couple of years ago it was based on real rent and may have been limited if rent was considered to be too high in relation to what was available.
LA and Housing Association rents were paid in full with no restrictions because they were always reasonable or fair. Only for privately rented properties were benefits resticted to less than the rent.
So, am example, if I may....

A private 3 bed house in Herts. The asking rent is 1,000.00 gbp per month.
The LHA for that size home and area is on 207.00 gbp per week. (Incidently, who pays the LHA? The LA or the DSS?).
If the qualifying family are claiming income based job seekers allowance whilst seeking work, does that mean they would receive the full allowance? Also, does the family have to make up the shortfall out of the JSA benefits? Once they have income again, they would take over the full payment and not have to move, right?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

They'd get the £207 pw in addition to JSA (If it was indeed that high. I've been away for 4 years).

There would be a shortfall to be made up. One thing I'm not sure of; there used to be similar rules for mortgage interest in Income Support payments. But there was a period where someone could still get high mortgage interest payments in their benefits if they could afford the commitment before the claim.

I haven't seen the fine print since the new system came in, so there may similarly be a shortish period where a higher amount might be paid - giving someone time to find another job or move somewhere cheaper.

Also....LAs have always had little publicised discretion to make 'extra' payments.

I do remember when the scheme was first mooted some years ago that the idea was to encourage people to seek cheaper accommodation. It seems a little harsh, therefore, to restrict the allowance immediately. But who said life is fair?

The rent allowance is paid by the LA not DWP....although nationally there is some accounting process.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 20th 2008 at 6:24 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

They'd get the £207 pw in addition to JSA (If it was indeed that high. I've been away for 4 years).

There would be a shortfall to be made up. One thing I'm not sure of; there used to be similar rules for mortgage interest in Income Support payments. But there was a period where someone could still get high mortgage interest payments in their benefits if they could afford the commitment before the claim.

I haven't seen the fine print since the new system came in, so there may similarly be a shortish period where a higher amount might be paid - giving someone time to find another job or move somewhere cheaper.

Also....LAs have always had little publicised discretion to make 'extra' payments.

I do remember when the scheme was first mooted some years ago that the idea was to encourage people to seek cheaper accommodation. It seems a little harsh, therefore, to restrict the allowance immediately. But who said life is fair?

The rent allowance is paid by the LA not DWP....although nationally there is some accounting process.
Okay, I think I understand now. I'm just so glad there is support available. I'm hoping we won't need to worry ourselves with it all. I suppose these tough economic times are causing all sorts of people to turn to the system. The next few months will tell how we will fare. Thanks again
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:08 am
Oscar nominated

Always remember the Citizens Advice Bureau.

And for anything Housing Related, try Shelter for support/advice.

CPAG are good too.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 20th 2008 at 7:13 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:42 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Oldham, Greater Manchester and I have recently had a conversation and discovered that you actually 'bid' on empty council housing.
Apparently, you write the reference number on a letter and the accomodation is given to the most needy.
Another friend had seperated from her husband and moved into rented accomodation. The landlord decided to sell the property and she went to the council. They told her they could not re-house her until 6 weeks before the official moving date. She arranged another rental.
Hope you get sorted soon,
J x
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

My friend owned a modest 3-bed semi in Surrey up until recently. She rented it out to a mum with a young son. I think the rent was about £900 a month - a lowish but fairish going rate for the area. The lady received £750 from the LA towards their rent - she made up the shortfall. My friend personally had no issues with them being LA funded tenants - she met up with her first and was happy she was 'normal' and would look after the place. Which she did for the nearly three years she lived there. Just for your info really. Some landlords are fine with this arrangement because the monthly rental is guaranteed.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:59 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by ann m
Some landlords are fine with this arrangement because the monthly rental is guaranteed.
It's not without risk though. Sometimes the 'rent' is paid directly to the landlord who then discovers the tenant has buggered off or committed fraud and the rent has to be repaid by the landlord, leaving him/her out of pocket.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

Do you think there is a stigma and some landlords wouldn't entertain LHA supported tenants?
Like with anything some will and some won't. Often those that will work hand in hand with the local council so the coucil is a good starting point. Also, regarding the deposit, in order to take the pressure off the council my council had a scheme in place whereby they would pay the deposit on privately rented accommodation for people who were homeless. But that was 10 years ago, I don't know if they still do it or if other councils do the same.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lobby lou
Also i dont think you can use a hotel address ,for benefits,unless the law has changed
Of course you can and you always could. Councils have been using B&Bs to house people since the stoneage.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

All good stuff. Thanks to everyone.

One last question on this subject. Does anyone have any idea how the cost of a LA rent compares to the cost of a private rent, in any given area, for similar homes (i.e. a 3 bed council house /association house compared with a 3 bed private rental house)? I assume council tax is according to band and not according to whether it's LA or private.

Will be interesting to see the difference.
In the area I lived in, Berkshire, the average rent on a 2 bedroom private house with a small garden was £1200 per month. My rent, housing association, for a 2 bedroom house with a small garden was £375 per month. That was uptil July last year.

Council tax is on the value of the property regardless of ownership.

Last edited by Celtic Princess; Nov 20th 2008 at 5:42 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Agree with the post except for the above part. The key is, as you say, if you are deemed......
You wouldn't automatically be ineligible because of leaving your home abroad and returning to the UK.

There might be some circumstances where that's decided but that would be quite rare.

And there will always be individual officers with different attitudes and more flexibility than others in good and bad ways.

Without returning to the HRT aspect too much I knew of many cases where the Housing Officers were merely waiting for confirmation that HR was satisfied. Part of satisfying Hab Res would, of course, involve having given up the home (eg selling or ending a tenancy) abroad because of the intention to settle in the UK.

So the LA's were accepting responsibility for people who had voluntarily left homes abroad. They had just accepted that was reasonable in the individual circumstances.
I agree with you, I just wanted to make it very clear to anyone considering this that they have to be very, very careful with this one or they could land up in a heap of dung.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:20 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
Also, regarding the deposit, in order to take the pressure off the council my council had a scheme in place whereby they would pay the deposit on privately rented accommodation for people who were homeless. But that was 10 years ago, I don't know if they still do it or if other councils do the same.
Yes, other councils do. Some may do it for single people only, some for everyone.

There are conditions to be satisfied, but there's room for discretion.

An added advantage of these schemes are that the rents are more likely to be affordable for those on benefits and low incomes.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

As a Regional Manager in a UK housing Association. I think I can answer this question for all of those who are seeking answers. Basically if you are Brit returning to the UK the answers you require are these.

1. If you apply for council housing you have to proof your entitlement of being resident in the UK for the last 12 months and be eligible for state benefits however the state do apply rules for Brits returning and getting entitlement can take weeks. This is what you need to be entitled to a council house.

2. What you need to do is to apply for housing association property, as they cannot and do not eligibility test. All applications are based on ability to pay. Therefore if you can afford to pay for a property then you will be offered one based on availability.

3. If you are seeking accommodation for the over 50's then it should be much easier for you get a property. As there is an oversupply in the country. You may need to be flexible with your choices and area's as some over 50's schemes are more popular than others.

4. If you need family accommodation still apply you will have to wait depending on where you choose. Some area's do have local lettings policies which mean you have to have a local connection with the area. Close relatives, employment or children go to school in the area. However if you are returning Brit you should be able to prove your connection.

5. You can apply from abroad, however you need to be in a position to sign and accept a property when one is offered that is the drawback, as staff in housing associations are under pressure to let properties quickly and usually a tenancy will start the following Monday to the offer. Some associations will do pre-offers based on terminations but there is always the risk that tenant may give back word. If you have applied to a housing association keep in contact with them at least once a month to keep your application fresh in the mind of the allocators.