British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   could be spending xmas in scotland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/could-spending-xmas-scotland-574717/)

Margaret3 Nov 23rd 2008 7:11 am

could be spending xmas in scotland

Unfortunately under hellish circumstances, by bros phoned , my 80 year old, very frail mother has broke her hip, getting operated on Monday:(

Doctor told him, its a case of damned if they do, damned if they dont:(

Fleaflyfloflum Nov 23rd 2008 7:19 am

Re: could be spending xmas in scotland

I am very sorry to hear that. Best wishes to her.
Sad to have to go back this time of year under those circumstances. :(

Tr1boy Nov 23rd 2008 7:19 am

Very sorry to hear that Margaret. Best wishes to your Mother, fingers crossed for you.

quoll Nov 23rd 2008 7:48 am

Oh Margaret sorry to hear that - well, not sorry that you may be home for Christmas but very very sorry that your mum is not well and will be struggling. I really think the person who said "growing old is not for pussies" is spot on the money. {{{hugs}}}

Cheetah7 Nov 23rd 2008 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 7000573)
Unfortunately under hellish circumstances, by bros phoned , my 80 year old, very frail mother has broke her hip, getting operated on Monday:(

:(

Wishing you all the best Mags and hope your Mum pulls through.

dunroving Nov 23rd 2008 8:23 am

I'm sorry to hear you are going home under these circumstances. I'm sure your mum will be over the moon to see you.

This may be the last thing on your mind, but are you enquiring about a compassionate fare? These are reduced fares that are most often given in cases of bereavements, but I think other close family emergencies are also sometimes considered. There have been a few threads on this over the years but here's one from Englishmum, who knows about these things - she's an expert on the airlines: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...reavement+fare

Mummy in the foothills Nov 23rd 2008 3:09 pm

Thats sad to hear. I hope she recovers from a replacement quickly.

Marmalade Nov 23rd 2008 6:29 pm

So sorry to hear about your mother Margaret. She will definitely be happy to see you, though. Let us know how things get on.

islandergirl Nov 23rd 2008 9:04 pm

Sorry to hear about your mum Mags, I think you should go and be with her, and if you go by yourself it's not such a financial hit.

If you can leave this week flights are not too bad BA has Mel-Gla return for $2838 inc taxes.

Margaret3 Nov 23rd 2008 9:40 pm

thanks all for the thoughtful replies.

Thanks for the info dunroving , will look into it.

am waiting a week or so to hear how the op went, my bros said he would rather i did this as he thinks it would be of more help to him and mum, to see how things are going to stand in the long term.

Poor old soul, she's very frail (about six stone), but done really well all these years, was still living a fairly independent life in her own home, going to chuch and a little social club every week:unsure:

TruBrit Nov 23rd 2008 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 7002232)
thanks all for the thoughtful replies.

Thanks for the info dunroving , will look into it.

am waiting a week or so to hear how the op went, my bros said he would rather i did this as he thinks it would be of more help to him and mum, to see how things are going to stand in the long term.

Poor old soul, she's very frail (about six stone), but done really well all these years, was still living a fairly independent life in her own home, going to chuch and a little social club every week:unsure:

now's that chance for your one way ticket :sneaky:

Margaret3 Nov 23rd 2008 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 7002233)
now's that chance for your one way ticket :sneaky:

trubrit am shocked at you:D (yes it has crossed my mind:huh:)

TruBrit Nov 23rd 2008 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 7002259)
trubrit am shocked at you:D (yes it has crossed my mind:huh:)

good on you gal ;)

all good wishes to your mum for her op and recuperation.

kevin747 Nov 24th 2008 11:18 am

No wish to be disrespectful but it would give you a chance to research a possible return to Scotland

I hope your mum is ok and that you find a way out of Australia

3 go mad in Adelaide Nov 24th 2008 11:26 am

Very best wishes Margaret, for a good recovery for your mum. Must be a worrying time for you, but you do know that she has good support, which is something. When you get to go home, I'm sure it will be under better circumstances:thumbsup: