Reload this Page >

Cost of moving possession to England

Cost of moving possession to England

Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Gidi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of moving possession to England

Hello,

I'm a British citizen whose moving to England after living his entire life abroad.
One of the things I'm trying to figure out is whether I am better off selling my possessions and buying new stuff in England, or whether it would be worth shipping everything over.

I am a professional photographer and have equipment which is both heavy and expensive. I can easily figure out the cost of shipping but I'm wondering about what kind of taxes I'd have to pay when bringing thousands of pounds worth of equipment into England.
So, does anyone know what I should take into account on that front?
Any advise from people who have moved to England from other countries regarding shipping their possessions into the country?

Cheers
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:14 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Cost of moving possession to England

Which country are you moving from?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Gidi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of moving possession to England

I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be rude, but I'd rather not go into the details in that sense, for personal reasons.

But, how is it relevant which country I'm moving from?
Other than shipping costs, of course, which I am already aware of... I'm wondering about costs of entry into the country. Is there some kind of taxation when bringing things into the country? Am I supposed to pay, perhaps, some for of VAT on my possessions? etc.

Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2013, 7:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

So long as it's your personal possessions and not all new stuff you have bought to sell on they don't usually charge you.
We are shipping my Dh's own shop tools and were told by the shipping company so long as it's all his and not new and we make an inventory we should be just fine, it'll all be packed along with the household things.
The reason for asking country was the cost for the shipping varies depending on where you are coming from.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:52 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gidi
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to be rude, but I'd rather not go into the details in that sense, for personal reasons.

But, how is it relevant which country I'm moving from?
Other than shipping costs, of course, which I am already aware of... I'm wondering about costs of entry into the country. Is there some kind of taxation when bringing things into the country? Am I supposed to pay, perhaps, some for of VAT on my possessions? etc.

Thanks
It's difficult to answer your question about whether it's cheaper/better to ship or sell without some idea what country you are moving from.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:39 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

I'll take a stab at this: sell.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 7:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler
I'll take a stab at this: sell.
Why?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's difficult to answer your question about whether it's cheaper/better to ship or sell without some idea what country you are moving from.
Exactly - whether he can get a good price for stuff where he is, plus the exchange rate could affect whether its more cost effective to ship - plus the small matter of the variances in shipping costs!
Moving from France is a heck of a lot cheaper than coming home from Aus
Old Jun 26th 2013, 11:14 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Editha
Why?
Based on the information given I thought I'd take a 50/50 punt.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

We are having our furniture shipped from USA to UK and we have been quoted around $8,000, although with luck it should be less than that when it's finally weighed as we have sold a couple of sofas and corner units since the initial estimated costs.

Anyway, we went to various UK furniture stores online and compared the quality of what we have now to the cost of buying similar in UK and came to the conclusion that it's cheaper to ship.

If you try and sell used furniture/tools/photographic equipment etc you will get people making ridiculously low offers and will end up making next to no money for them.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 7:06 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
We are having our furniture shipped from USA to UK and we have been quoted around $8,000, although with luck it should be less than that when it's finally weighed as we have sold a couple of sofas and corner units since the initial estimated costs.

Anyway, we went to various UK furniture stores online and compared the quality of what we have now to the cost of buying similar in UK and came to the conclusion that it's cheaper to ship.

If you try and sell used furniture/tools/photographic equipment etc you will get people making ridiculously low offers and will end up making next to no money for them.
Yes, the quality of your belongings make a difference, but as the OP doesn't seem willing to share much information, it's hard to advise. So, we will likely end up stringing 80 posts together between us before we realise we are just talking to each other.

Most of my furniture was used and not great condition - it would have been cheaper to sell and buy new or used. Moving back is often an opportunity to start anew - I also think it depends on the size of the furniture. So many folks bring back huge sofas from US, South Africa, etc., and end up having to saw the end off it in order to squeeze it into a tiny UK house!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:43 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the quality of your belongings make a difference, but as the OP doesn't seem willing to share much information, it's hard to advise. So, we will likely end up stringing 80 posts together between us before we realise we are just talking to each other.

Most of my furniture was used and not great condition - it would have been cheaper to sell and buy new or used. Moving back is often an opportunity to start anew - I also think it depends on the size of the furniture. So many folks bring back huge sofas from US, South Africa, etc., and end up having to saw the end off it in order to squeeze it into a tiny UK house!
I've only shipped a few pieces of furniture that I was particularly attached to and couldn't replace. Much as I loved my sofa, I didn't bring it because I thought it would be too big for the size room I am likely to be able to put it in here - let alone getting it through the door in the first place. It wasn't even that big by US sofa standards, but it certainly would dominate a room in the UK.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

I have noticed that the OP has been quiet since the first couple of postings, yes
Anyway, we were quite savvy when we bought our furniture, always keeping in mind the liklihood of returning one day to UK, so as far as I can guess we won't need to chop off any bits to make it fit in

Having said that, the amount of other useless shite I've managed to accumulate (and now find very difficult to part with) over the last 17 years may well end up going in the tip once it arrives !
Old Jun 28th 2013, 2:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I have noticed that the OP has been quiet since the first couple of postings, yes
Anyway, we were quite savvy when we bought our furniture, always keeping in mind the liklihood of returning one day to UK, so as far as I can guess we won't need to chop off any bits to make it fit in

Having said that, the amount of other useless shite I've managed to accumulate (and now find very difficult to part with) over the last 17 years may well end up going in the tip once it arrives !
The OP may be struggling with the after effects from the malware issue. Even some of the moderators are unable to get on the forum reliably, and for a new member, the warnings are likely to keep them away
Old Jun 28th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
The OP may be struggling with the after effects from the malware issue. Even some of the moderators are unable to get on the forum reliably, and for a new member, the warnings are likely to keep them away
True, I too am still having the warning pop up when I attempt to come in via firefox, internet explorer allows me in without a problem though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.