Wikiposts

Cost of living in UK

Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:34 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in UK

Originally Posted by nun
Over the weekend I spoke to a friend who lives in North London about the cost of living. She said that she and her husband spend around 1000 pounds a month excluding the mortgage. So as it will only be me and I'll be in North Yorkshire which will is cheaper than London I think 1000 pounds (excluding rent/mortgage) seems like a safe monthly budget.
Not completely sure about this. For a start you can normally survive without a car in London (unless your job needs one of course) but I imagine it's fairly essential in parts of north Yorkshire. Heating - almost bound to be more expensive up there, as the heat island effect in the big city means you need it less. Things like eating out are normally more expensive in London I agree, but the availability of good markets means the normal grocery bill won't differ by much. I suspect it's really accommodation (either renting or buying) that would make London more expensive.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

We currently live in the East Midlands and earn approx £1800 between us. We have a Mortgage on a 3 bed house and a 5 year old. We run a car and do a weekly shop of approx £50. We also have a loan that costs us close to £250 a month to pay back and we are fine financially! Granted, we don't go out every weekend etc but when we want to go out we can.

HTH
Good luck with the move.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:03 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linz3112
We currently live in the East Midlands and earn approx £1800 between us. We have a Mortgage on a 3 bed house and a 5 year old. We run a car and do a weekly shop of approx £50. We also have a loan that costs us close to £250 a month to pay back and we are fine financially! Granted, we don't go out every weekend etc but when we want to go out we can.

HTH
Good luck with the move.
A mortgage on a 3-BR house could mean £250 pcm (if you bought 10 years ago on a lifetime tracker at 0.5% above BOE), or £1,000+ pcm (if you bought in 2007 on a fixed rate at 8% interest) ... I think this is for most people potentially the biggest expense by far and yet it is the one that is least often dealt with explicitly.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:28 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
A mortgage on a 3-BR house could mean £250 pcm (if you bought 10 years ago on a lifetime tracker at 0.5% above BOE), or £1,000+ pcm (if you bought in 2007 on a fixed rate at 8% interest) ... I think this is for most people potentially the biggest expense by far and yet it is the one that is least often dealt with explicitly.
Good comment, and makes sense considering house price increases over that time, although obviously the price of a 3 bed house is widely variable depending on the location. Maybe the reason it's dealt with less explicitly is because of those potential variables? You're right though, for most people that has got to be the biggest (percentage of income) expense, no matter where they live.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Good comment, and makes sense considering house price increases over that time, although obviously the price of a 3 bed house is widely variable depending on the location. Maybe the reason it's dealt with less explicitly is because of those potential variables? You're right though, for most people that has got to be the biggest (percentage of income) expense, no matter where they live.
In 1987 when I was living overseas, I bought a house in the UK. Within months of me putting in the offer, the interest rate went up to some ridiculous rate, and at the same time, the pound went from the $1.50's to about $1.80 (I was earning in $$'s and paying my mortgage in ££'s). My mortgage thus went from about 65% of my take-home pay to about 125% of my take home pay (I ended up taking on 3 part-time jobs for almost two years). It was a stressful time. LUCKILY, during those two years, house prices went up and I sold at just the right time, weeks before the house crash of the 90s (and used the "profit" to put myself through grad school in the States). I say "profit" because I calculated it was about the same amount as I'd have had if I had just taken the monthly payments and stuffed them under my mattress for the three years...

Conversely, in 2007 (March) I bought my current house with a lifetime tracker 0.59% above BOE (try getting anything near that these days). Shortly after, a friend bought her house with a 4-year fixed at 8% interest. So now I'm paying 1.09% interest and she's paying 8%. Her house cost £30k less than mine but her monthly mortgage payment is considerably higher than mine. However, my house is now worth about £30k less than I paid for it.

So yes, I think houses are the single biggest cause of financial misery, or joy, depending on your situation and your timing.

Last edited by dunroving; Sep 28th 2010 at 6:06 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:11 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Conversely, in 2007 (March) I bought my current house with a lifetime tracker 0.59% above BOE (try getting anything near that these days). Shortly after, a friend bought her house with a 4-year fixed at 8% interest. So now I'm paying 1.09% interest and she's paying 8%. Her house cost £30k less than mine but her monthly mortgage payment is considerably higher than mine. However, my house is now worth about £30k less than I paid for it.

So yes, I think houses are the single biggest cause of financial misery, or joy, depending on your situation and your timing.
I've looked at UK mortgages and frankly they suck. The seem expensive and it's impossible to get a fixed rate for any length of time. In the US the 15 or 30 years fixed mortgage is a standard product and makes it easy to budget your housing expenses as you're insulated from interest rate changes. I'm half way through a 15 year, 4.5% fixed mortgage (today I could get a 15 years 3.9% fixed), but when I come back to the UK I won't get anything as good. So my plan is to rent for a while until I find a place that I like and just buy it out right using the equity form the sale of my US house. I'll be spending a lot of capital, but I'll need far less annual income so my tax will be lower.

Last edited by nun; Sep 28th 2010 at 9:14 am.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Good Point - I bought in 2007 and my monthly mortgage payments are £500 per month, this is after i went onto a variable rate, when it was fixed it was £670 a month!

I also need to point out that our income is our NET earnings, not sure if the wage that the OP mentioned is Gross or Net.

HTH
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:01 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linz3112

I also need to point out that our income is our NET earnings, not sure if the wage that the OP mentioned is Gross or Net.

HTH
I'm interested in the cost of living.....so what it actually costs to live in the UK. Food, TV, council tax etc. I'm budgeting 650 pounds /month for rent (until I buy), but wanted to get a feel for the rest of the costs. I'm now budgeting 1000 pounds in addition to the 650 for rent. I'm single and will be living in the NE.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nun
OK so 1800 pounds a month for a single person in NE England to cover everything seems doable then?
Originally Posted by nun
I'm interested in the cost of living.....so what it actually costs to live in the UK. Food, TV, council tax etc. I'm budgeting 650 pounds /month for rent (until I buy), but wanted to get a feel for the rest of the costs. I'm now budgeting 1000 pounds in addition to the 650 for rent. I'm single and will be living in the NE.
I know you are trying to find out about cost of living, I was trying to give you a positive in that i think you would be fine on £1800 a month which is what you asked about in a previous post.

My outgoings (including a £230 a month loan payment and Mortgage) add up to approx £1140 a month.

HTH
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Thank you for bring that up because when I look to rent on RIGHTMOVE I use £600 to see what is available in the different parts of the country.

I've never thought of it but I think I can get by on another £600 for food, power and play.

Yey... no TV license fee for SENIOR, seniors.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:00 am

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Yey... no TV license fee for SENIOR, seniors.
You're a Senior? Then apparently you'll get a heating allowance too, which is more than you'll get in the USA
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
You're a Senior? Then apparently you'll get a heating allowance too, which is more than you'll get in the USA
I'm not a senior yet. I have 18 years to go before I'm 90 years old. Then I'll be a senior and old.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm not a senior yet. I have 18 years to go before I'm 90 years old. Then I'll be a senior and old.
Please accept my apologies!
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:57 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by nun
I've looked at UK mortgages and frankly they suck. The seem expensive and it's impossible to get a fixed rate for any length of time. In the US the 15 or 30 years fixed mortgage is a standard product and makes it easy to budget your housing expenses as you're insulated from interest rate changes. I'm half way through a 15 year, 4.5% fixed mortgage (today I could get a 15 years 3.9% fixed), but when I come back to the UK I won't get anything as good. So my plan is to rent for a while until I find a place that I like and just buy it out right using the equity form the sale of my US house. I'll be spending a lot of capital, but I'll need far less annual income so my tax will be lower.
Yes, it's odd that UK and US have their own unique "norms" when it comes to mortgage preferences. I mean why is the US norm 15-yr or 30-yr, and the UK standard is 25-yr? Why don't UK lenders have much in the way of full-term fixed-interest, and why hasn't the US ever taken up the idea of an offset motgage (which I think is a fantastic idea)?

It might be worth your while using half your capital in order to get a low loan-to-value offset, full-term tracker. That way, you can offset the rest of your capital (therefore paying almost no interest each month), but have the flexibility to use up the capital if you ever needed it in an emergency. To me, that makes a lot more sense than long-term renting (unless you need flexibility to move location). Renting is probably a good idea initially, though, until you know where you want to stay more permanently.

Current best-buys for full-term ("lifetime") tracker mortgages are just over 2% (HSBC, 40% deposit, £99 fee). There are several offsets between 2% and 3%, but none of them are term/lifetime - check First Direct for a 2.39%, 35% deposit, £99 fee.

(I got these out of the "Best Mortgages" section of the Sunday Times Money section)
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:16 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worth your while using half your capital in order to get a low loan-to-value offset, full-term tracker. That way, you can offset the rest of your capital (therefore paying almost no interest each month), but have the flexibility to use up the capital if you ever needed it in an emergency.
Is there any way you can explain what that means to someone who's been away for 21 years? I tried googling it and didn't come up with anything I could understand. Use short words though ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.