Wikiposts

Cost of Living in UK

Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living in UK

Originally Posted by Boodles
Hello, I am new to this forum and would like to ask for some information from all you good folks about the cost of retuning home. My husband (he is a CDN) and I (British) want to return to England. I have been away for far too many years, 30 plus, and have never stopped feeling homesick. Now we are at retiring age, with not too much money at our disposal and I was wondering what kind of income we would need to live an ordinary, quiet, little life back home. I have researched all the requirements with regard to sponsoring my husband but have no idea about day to day living stuff. I do not have any relatives left in England to ask and I would be very grateful for any information. Also, does anyone have any idea what income is needed to pass the requirement by the UK Visa people. Many Thanks. Boodles
What income will you have?, will your Canadian pensions be transferable?, and if so will they get the increases you would get if you stayed in Canada. A lot of things are artificially cheaper in the UK at the moment, this is due to the recession, and the fact that many increases have been 'held back' because of the recession, once that is over, then prices may well take a big hike. If you are renting, then bear in mind that the property will be unfurnished, so you have to factor those costs in.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Hi everyone, I have been away for a few days, just got back, and want to thank everyone who has taken the time and trouble to send my their thoughts and ideas. I have also learnt a lot by scrolling through the back issues of this forum. Once again, many thanks to you all and I hope one day to be back in England also.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We spent last winter near Bournemouth and rented a vacation place for 6 months. It was one bedroom adjacent to the main building so like a bungalow in a way. Very comfortable and well furnished. We were very fortunate.
We paid rent plus utilities plus council taxes (property tax as we say here). Can't remember what we paid would have to look at our bills, but we enjoyed staying there, weather was really great -down south! We were able to go out walking each day except when it rained which was not often.

We are in your age group and had thought of returning to UK at sometime or another and decided to go over for winter first. We like it here in Ontario just as much though we think it is more expensive. However, we are going back this coming winter to the same vacation building which is just across the road from the sea and we hope to do this for a few years before making the complete move over.

So you could consider holiday apartment/let to start with where you will get it furnished etc while you look around. You ask for a winter let rate and there are several who will do this.

We kept our grocery bills down to £200-250 a month shopping at Asda (Walmart), Sainsburys, sometimes Tesco and sometimes M & S on specials all were in the same complex except Tesco which was down the road.

We often didn't use the car for 3 days since we could walk to nearby shops and get the bus back.

We bought a '97 Ford Fiesta car (automatic) and found car insurance is about 3 times less than we pay in Ontario. We sold on gumtree before we left - it sold in 3 hours or listing! Used cars have no sales tax in UK.

Seniors get free bus rides with a bus pass. Lots of seniors discounts for one thing and another.

If you do rent an unfurnished place leases are 6 months which is better than the one year here in Canada and as Flea said you may be asked for the full 6 months rent, then again you may not, just depends.
Thats interesting and something we have thought of doing but a lot of the places seemed very expensive 700.00 pounds a month furnished plus utilities.
However, its the only wise to test the waters and see if you can adjust and we are quite keen to try at some point in the future.

Regarding the initial question-
members of our family retired back home and never found it too expensive at all- the only complaint was the cost of phone calls although that may have improved, I dont know.
There is email now so thats an option.
Petrol too was costly but you have to stop comparing it to Canadian dollars and just accept it.
Dont know about buying a house- rent first if possible
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:58 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Pennyfarthing, £700 or thereabouts is about normal for renting for a month, sometimes more and as you say utilities extra and also the council taxes for which we paid £85 a month. If you can get an inclusive rent all the better.
We were fortunate to get a very, very nice place nicely furnished many of them are mediocre furnished and many are twin beds but our place was twin but they are zipped together to make a king size which in UK is called super king. Mind you I had to go and buy a super king fitted sheet. Linens are not always included.

Regarding phone calls. For long distance we bought the phone card from the Post Office and it was 4p a minute for Canada and USA.

Yes petrol is more expensive as we all know but again as you say you have to stop comparing currency difference. Folks in UK don't seem to even consider the cost of petrol like they do in N. America. If they want to go somewhere they just go anyway whereas over here people do count the cost more and will do more of doing several things in one trip instead of constantly going out for something on single errands.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:28 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Overall all, a typical city outside of london is much the same as vancouver (renting and not owning that is).

Most things are on a par, others more and some less. Overall it balances out. I didn't really notice any real differences when I was last in the uk about 18 months ago. The only thing that really struck me was the fact that eating out was twice the price as vancouver - although booze was cheaper.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by uk_vette
What TF, and Who TF want's to live like that !

£40.00 a week, stale crusty rolls, **** that for a game of soldiers.
I just can't wait for the end of the day to pick up all the left overs.
get real.

Is that how some people live in UK, a supposedly 1st world country ?

'vette
What a very strange response to a perfectly reasonable post

Its this kind of thinking that gets people in deep sh*t financially. we've all got to live within our means and I couldn't agree more with Flea. Unlike some people who think they should get what they want irrespective of whether they can afford it, she is shopping sensibly. We often buy joints of meat that are nearly past the shelf life and then freeze them - you can get it for almost half the price! I certainly don't have a problem with any of that nor would any sane person. And perhaps you could come down from cloud cuckoo land to spare a thought for the people who live on very tight budgets.

Last edited by merleoberon; Jul 1st 2009 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough

Rent in a non too desirable (compared to what I was used to) place in north London is £900 for a 2 bed flat. Council tax is about £100 a month. Utilities are about £100 a month. Add in another £100 (round numbers) for internet, telephone, mobile and other such services etc.

Food (including nappies etc.) for the baby and myself works out at about £200 a month I suppose, perhaps more ?

A big shock was the cost of actually setting up again. I knew there would be costs and I'd rented a fully furnished place but loads of little and not so little things creep into the budget. Toaster, hairdrier, different clothes (came from a hot country), computer, DVD player, toys etc., all cost way way more than I thought.

Even now, a month or so after arriving back, I'm still amazed at the cost of some things and I shudder to think just how much it has cost to get to where i am now.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

JudyH7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have a contact email or address for short term winter lets in Uk. What price range is reasonable - can you give a range?
appreciate hearing from you on this query. JC

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We spent last winter near Bournemouth and rented a vacation place for 6 months. It was one bedroom adjacent to the main building so like a bungalow in a way. Very comfortable and well furnished. We were very fortunate.
We paid rent plus utilities plus council taxes (property tax as we say here). Can't remember what we paid would have to look at our bills, but we enjoyed staying there, weather was really great -down south! We were able to go out walking each day except when it rained which was not often.

We are in your age group and had thought of returning to UK at sometime or another and decided to go over for winter first. We like it here in Ontario just as much though we think it is more expensive. However, we are going back this coming winter to the same vacation building which is just across the road from the sea and we hope to do this for a few years before making the complete move over.

So you could consider holiday apartment/let to start with where you will get it furnished etc while you look around. You ask for a winter let rate and there are several who will do this.

We kept our grocery bills down to £200-250 a month shopping at Asda (Walmart), Sainsburys, sometimes Tesco and sometimes M & S on specials all were in the same complex except Tesco which was down the road.

We often didn't use the car for 3 days since we could walk to nearby shops and get the bus back.

We bought a '97 Ford Fiesta car (automatic) and found car insurance is about 3 times less than we pay in Ontario. We sold on gumtree before we left - it sold in 3 hours or listing! Used cars have no sales tax in UK.

Seniors get free bus rides with a bus pass. Lots of seniors discounts for one thing and another.

If you do rent an unfurnished place leases are 6 months which is better than the one year here in Canada and as Flea said you may be asked for the full 6 months rent, then again you may not, just depends.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 9:05 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

JudyH7, If you are looking for holiday winter let put in a search in yahoo for the area you are looking - or google search.

We went over and stayed for a month (October) at a self-catering holiday place while we looked around. It was very nice and they do take winter lets. The only snag was no washing machine so you have to go to the local launderette in West Moors. Also they have twin beds which we pushed together. The shower is on the small side but we managed being slim people! Very nice couple who own it. A one bedroom bungalow type adjoined to the main house. You have your own entrance.

Take a look at their webpage www.thegables31x.com for pictures click on Links and then click on Holiday Cottages and scroll down to their place The Gables. Large living/dining area with kitchen one end of the room. Very comfortable. We could have stayed there all winter if wanted but we preferred to be in the Southbourne area, hence our move to

www.griffinholidayflats.co.uk They may be full already. I will try and find out. We are taking one flat but there are two others. Garden Flat is for a 6 month let. You pay rent plus utilities plus Council Tax and phone.

We looked at the Poole area. There is a large townhouse complex called Baiter Park where owners rent out for summer and long winter lets. 3 Bedroom places. We looked at one, which had already been let for last winter but it was for future reference, but it was not for us. These places in this area do get let quickly. References are required.

If you put in selfcatering holiday winter lets and the area you want or selfcatering Baiter Park Poole there are numerous websites for letting.

Another site is www.pooleview.co.uk/accom/baiterpark.htm
You could also put in holiday cottages, or holiday selfcatering. Cottages tend to be rural and in winter could be bleak. Lymington is a nice area and there are places.

We took The Gables while we looked around as we found places online but we wanted to actually see them since we were to be in it for 6 months.

Hope this helps. Pamela.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:12 am
Pamela 1

JudyH7, If you take a look at the Griffin Holiday flats you will see The Garden flat which is adjacent to the main building and also Flat 3 which is on the 2nd floor. I have found out that both of these are available for winter.

Garden Flat has everything you need. Flat 3 has no dryer for laundry and I think it is a small under the counter fridge. Double or Queen bed not sure which. Sea view. Walk out balcony.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 2:38 pm

london cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud of

All i can say is don't come to London, i dont know what life is like up north or in the countryside but to live in London you need to be earning big money to have half a decent lifestyle. A decent coffee is £2, diesel £1.07, £6.50 for a packet of fags, £1 for 6 mins on a parking meter, £8 as soon as your front wheels enter the congestion zone, go to see a film in the west end and you wouldn't get a great deal of change from £20 after buying your ticket, a tub of popcorn and a coke. In Westminster if you so much as stop for a newspaper you get a £60 fine and that is no exageration.

My council tax is £180 a month, my gas/electric is £181 a month and i pay £45 a month water rates, Not massive amounts but throw in trips to Sainsburys and clothes and maybe a night out, if you have kids or run a car with tax, insurance etc.

Just thought i would put you in the picture about London at least and i know i prob shouldn't have posted this on MBUK. You all have your reasons for returning home but let me tell you its not all about green green grass, country pubs and robin red breasts, its hard work here to survive ....but its worth it !!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london cabbie
A decent coffee is £2
Cheaper than Australia then.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 4:55 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by london cabbie
All i can say is don't come to London, i dont know what life is like up north or in the countryside but to live in London you need to be earning big money to have half a decent lifestyle. A decent coffee is £2, diesel £1.07, £6.50 for a packet of fags, £1 for 6 mins on a parking meter, £8 as soon as your front wheels enter the congestion zone, go to see a film in the west end and you wouldn't get a great deal of change from £20 after buying your ticket, a tub of popcorn and a coke. In Westminster if you so much as stop for a newspaper you get a £60 fine and that is no exageration.

My council tax is £180 a month, my gas/electric is £181 a month and i pay £45 a month water rates, Not massive amounts but throw in trips to Sainsburys and clothes and maybe a night out, if you have kids or run a car with tax, insurance etc.

Just thought i would put you in the picture about London at least and i know i prob shouldn't have posted this on MBUK. You all have your reasons for returning home but let me tell you its not all about green green grass, country pubs and robin red breasts, its hard work here to survive ....but its worth it !!
You are right there's seems to be as many rose tinted glasses looking at the UK as there are looking at other destinations. I guess at the end of the day it's where you ultimately find contentment, be it a flat in London, a terrace house in Manchester or a condo in Vancouver.

In the present economic climate, i think people ought to consider things a lot more carefully than perhaps they normally would.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:36 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
I guess at the end of the day it's where you ultimately find contentment, be it a flat in London, a terrace house in Manchester or a condo in Vancouver.
Yikes! Are those my choices?

Just joking, but....

Bev