Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

cost of living for a single person

cost of living for a single person

Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default cost of living for a single person

I know that this is like asking how long's a piece of string, but what would it cost for a single person to live in the UK, excluding housing costs, living a comfortable life. So no Ferraris just a mid-range 2 door car, no expensive restaurants just a few pints down the pub. No expenses associated with kids or spouses.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:36 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living for a single person

Originally Posted by nun
I know that this is like asking how long's a piece of string, but what would it cost for a single person to live in the UK, excluding housing costs, living a comfortable life. So no Ferraris just a mid-range 2 door car, no expensive restaurants just a few pints down the pub. No expenses associated with kids or spouses.
Really depends on where in the UK you are living, London and the South is general going to be more expensive but then you will probably get a higher wage in these area's. Cars have gone down in price in the last few years due to imports.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
Really depends on where in the UK you are living, London and the South is general going to be more expensive but then you will probably get a higher wage in these area's. Cars have gone down in price in the last few years due to imports.
OKI I'll be in NE England. If I don't have to pay mortgage or rent would it be possible to live comfortably on 1000 pounds a month.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
OKI I'll be in NE England. If I don't have to pay mortgage or rent would it be possible to live comfortably on 1000 pounds a month.
Most definitely. In fact you should live very comfortably off that. I used to and payed rent out of that sort of sum.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:02 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Most definitely. In fact you should live very comfortably off that. I used to and payed rent out of that sort of sum.
That's encouraging, but remember I'll have to put a fair amount aside to pay for anti-depressants as I'll be living on Teesside
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
That's encouraging, but remember I'll have to put a fair amount aside to pay for anti-depressants as I'll be living on Teesside
Good point.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 4:04 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Well if you take into account the minimum wage I think is now £5.05/hr (for over 22) and a normal week is 37.5hrs you should be more than ok if you are not paying rent etc.

£5.05 x 37.5 = £189.38 x 4 = £757.50/month

I've not been up to the NE but I'm sure the beer's cheaper too
Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:25 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britontour
Well if you take into account the minimum wage I think is now £5.05/hr (for over 22) and a normal week is 37.5hrs you should be more than ok if you are not paying rent etc.

£5.05 x 37.5 = £189.38 x 4 = £757.50/month

I've not been up to the NE but I'm sure the beer's cheaper too
Yes, most stuff is cheaper up there, I was quite shocked the last time I visited ,after about 5 years away, by the basic poverty of the place. You forget these things. The minimum wage thing is useful, looks like my budgeting is on course