Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

COST OF LIVING IN SCOTLAND

Wikiposts

COST OF LIVING IN SCOTLAND

Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COST OF LIVING IN SCOTLAND

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Thanks for that link. That is really helpful to me to really understand how much money I would be making when I move back home
Not sure if you haven't already said but where are you planning to move back to?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

The Scottish Borders. That's where I'm from. Nearly moved back this Summer, but decided to stay one more year here to get my US citizenship before moving back. Puts my mind at rest just in case I do move back here some day
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Very sensible.

If I can help when you are ready to come back, PM me. I'm not overly taxed with stuff to do (read, bored witless at present!) and always happy to help people.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
Very sensible.

If I can help when you are ready to come back, PM me. I'm not overly taxed with stuff to do (read, bored witless at present!) and always happy to help people.
Thanks, that's very nice of you
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
That does help thanks.

So £ 877 a month excluding rent - if we say rent @ £ 550 pm = £ 1427 per month

I don't think our food bill would be like yours - two of us + a 6 y/old

On a salary of say £ 36 k what would you expect to bring home?

So if the above figures don’t cater for petrol (or commuting), entertainment etc etc would you say squaring off to £ 2 000 p month?

Cheers and thanks for all the input
Yes I think you could live fairly comfortably on £2k a month, I think no matter what you earn you cut your cloth accordingly! The whole migrating thing for us has made us realise that we wasted so much money at home as we both had good salarys, now we are more careful!lol In comparison to Oz so far our utilities have been half price of what they were at home, entertainment doesn't cost so much cos of the weather, insurance cheaper, food the same but meat better quality, fuel cheaper etc. I would make sure that you def had a job to go to in Scotland due to the current recession.
Scotland is a fantastic place though and the people are fab
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

shazniko is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks

Living on 2K a month should be no problem as long as you don't land yourself with a massive mortgage! A mortgage of around £100,000 would cost you around £800 per month. With the resession though, banks are reluctant to provide mortgages at the minute and there are so many repossessions now. Houses are selling really really slowly cos people are finding it so difficult to sell their houses and then in turn having problems in getting finance from banks. Its a vicious circle! However, if you are fortunate enough to cash buy then you could really snap up a bargain just now!!

Just make sure you have a job before you come back though or you may find yourself struggling. There have been so many redundancies in the past few months all over the country that I think it would be a huge risk to leave security to take a chance on coming back to Scotland without a definite job offer.

We live in Fife and live very comfortably on £2000 per month but we are mortgage-free which makes a huge difference. We were actually considering emigrating to NZ this year but after reading mountains of posts on this forum we are now having second thoughts as there seems to be masses of folk struggle financially as they don't realise that the wages are so low compared to cost of living and so end up just coming back before they are totally skint. We are planning on starting our own business so really don't want to throw away money emigrating when we could plough it into the business! We really don't know what to do for the best.

Good luck with everything though.

Shazniko
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by shazniko
Hi folks

Living on 2K a month should be no problem as long as you don't land yourself with a massive mortgage! A mortgage of around £100,000 would cost you around £800 per month. With the resession though, banks are reluctant to provide mortgages at the minute and there are so many repossessions now. Houses are selling really really slowly cos people are finding it so difficult to sell their houses and then in turn having problems in getting finance from banks. Its a vicious circle! However, if you are fortunate enough to cash buy then you could really snap up a bargain just now!!

Just make sure you have a job before you come back though or you may find yourself struggling. There have been so many redundancies in the past few months all over the country that I think it would be a huge risk to leave security to take a chance on coming back to Scotland without a definite job offer.

We live in Fife and live very comfortably on £2000 per month but we are mortgage-free which makes a huge difference. We were actually considering emigrating to NZ this year but after reading mountains of posts on this forum we are now having second thoughts as there seems to be masses of folk struggle financially as they don't realise that the wages are so low compared to cost of living and so end up just coming back before they are totally skint. We are planning on starting our own business so really don't want to throw away money emigrating when we could plough it into the business! We really don't know what to do for the best.

Good luck with everything though.

Shazniko
Hi Shazniko

I used to live in Aberdour, or at least my mum still does.

Yes, it is a tricky one the decisions. There is NO doubt that both NZ and Australia have gone through the roof (I have lived in Australia for 7 years, but back working in London now) - dual citizen.

The decision I made was in-part financial, but also for culture and boredom of Australia at the moment (every weekend is the same) - that will change later though. But for now my decision is a good one - I can ear very decent money here and the cost of living is on par with Australia for many things, and some instances Australia is way more exi than the UK - 2nd hand cars and food for example). The wages were a good third less than what I earn in the UK. MY profession is also 20 years ahead in its thinking in the UK than Australia and NZ could ever hope to be. They are both stunning countries, but I find the people very unengaged by in-large, and they seem not interested in anyone really, apart from themselves and how much money they can make (the almighty dollar rules there! -SAD). I think Australia is in for one HELL OF A HUGE SHOCK this year - and they still think they are protected form global issues! - that's typical thinking, and they moan like anything when things don't go right for them. I think many Aussies are like spolit kids without their toys at times!.

Anyhows I think when all said and done it's a personal choice of course and everyone is different. I keep hearing this irritating phrase on the naff TV programmes of seeking a 'better life' - what is better? People have to think why they are moving?, to 'better' what exactly?. They will take their issues with them. They seem to do alot of the time for their kids too - here is a newsflash - kids are on loans to you for 18 years, then they do their own thing. People also ought to think about their own welfare too - if they are happy the kids will be perhaps?

rararararar

Cheers
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amandabee
G586 we will be moving to Abderdeen.
Hi there,
We are from Aberdeen and are moving back in a couple of weeks after only being away for 5 months.
Aberdeen is a lovely city, have you been there before?
Any more questions than you may need to ask regarding areas etc. Just ask
Shabee
x
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by shabee
Hi there,
We are from Aberdeen and are moving back in a couple of weeks after only being away for 5 months.
Shabee
x
Bring your jumpers though!. grrrrr, cold!. Nice place though. Lovely scenery into the countryside and Deeside etc. Very pretty indeed.

Best of luck
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Shabee
x
furry boots ye fay?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:30 am
Account Closed

jackuk is an unknown quantity at this point

How much is.... a deep fried mars bar now days ?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:37 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackuk
How much is.... a deep fried mars bar now days ?
I think it costs two cardiac arrests and a coronary bypass.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

A few links to housing in the East Lothian/Borders area:

http://www.gsbproperties.co.uk/
http://www.espc.com/UniversalPages/D...Criteria1.html
http://www.bspc.co.uk/

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,
Shabee
x
good luck on your return. we moved back to aberdeen after only 7 months in perth and best decision ever. Children so much happier here. Life is so much more fulfilling for us here, bit of a buzz, great aberdonian humour and just so happy to be back and appreciate so much more. Ran down the beach this morning beautiful sunset, clear sky but a wee bit of a chill!!

Bring your pennies as a few house bargains to be had!

All the best on your return
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lorids
good luck on your return. we moved back to aberdeen after only 7 months in perth and best decision ever. Children so much happier here. Life is so much more fulfilling for us here, bit of a buzz, great aberdonian humour and just so happy to be back and appreciate so much more. Ran down the beach this morning beautiful sunset, clear sky but a wee bit of a chill!!

Bring your pennies as a few house bargains to be had!

All the best on your return
Yes may be a good time to buy a house.again!!!!! lol

Could actually work out quite well for us. Money has been transfered back so may only need a small mortgage or even a load with a bit of luck.
Where in Aberdeen ane you living now?
x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.