Cost comparisons

Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Mark Seymour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost comparisons

I've read the Wiki entry outlining the pros and cons of K-1 vs Immigrant Visa: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas
however Im trying to find a similar article outlining the differences in total costs between either going K1 or CR1 route
Many thx
Mark
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all
Default Re: Cost comparisons

I've got as far as K-1 visa received - so still Adjustment of Status to go to get to the same level as a CR-1 (i.e., 2-yr conditional green card in hand).

So far:

I-129F petition by USC $340
Medical £210 ($330 roughly)
Visa Interview fee $350
Adjustment of Status to Lawful Permanent Resident $985
Biometrics fee for above $85

So, to get to Lawful Permanent Resident status from K-1 visa petition, which will be the same as CR-1 (i.e., 2-year conditional green card) is currently $2,090
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Seymour
Im trying to find a similar article outlining the differences in total costs between either going K1 or CR1 route
It's not that hard to figure out. From filing the initial petition until the non-USC becomes a PR, the CR-1 is far less expensive.

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
So, to get to Lawful Permanent Resident status from K-1 visa petition, which will be the same as CR-1 (i.e., 2-year conditional green card) is currently $2,090
Not true. There is no AOS involved with a CR-1 visa... which will save well over $1K.

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Curious why 'money' is the deciding factor on which approach you take? If you are in the unfortunate position to be without adequate funds, then perhaps it is wise to hold off until you have plumped up yours savings a bit to be able to use either approach without fear of financial diaster.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Rete
Money is not the deciding factor... no need for sarcasm
I would just like to know.. Isnt that ok ?

Many thanks for all the other replys
M
Old Aug 1st 2011, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not true. There is no AOS involved with a CR-1 visa... which will save well over $1K.

Ian
Would you prefer an extra set of brackets in there to iterate that K-1 + AOS = CR-1?

In that, both paths are now at 2-year conditional green card status.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rete

M

Not being sarcastic. Just wondered why someone wants to compare costs. To my way of thinking it is because they are frugal, which many Brits seem to be , or they are lacking funds.

If you just expanded your search, you would be able to set up your own cost comparison easily enough. There are additional costs for the K-1, i.e. the cost of the I-129F and the additional medical expenses in the US for the vaccination supplement.

What truly needs to be compared is the length of time you wish to and can afford to, be out of employment. With the K-1, you can't work for a minimum of 90 days after filing for AOS plus the time you enter the US and marry while you can work immediately with the spousal visa.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Mark
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Rete

M
Hi:

Rete was not being sarcastic -- she brings up a legitimate point.

Many people are more concerned about the time frame. Also, the location of the marriage ceremony is often important.

Also, the K-1 category came into existence in Spring 1970 just before the 747 took flight. Air travel was quite expensive. In fact, people still traveled by ship. The idea was to save the AmCit the necessity of making a trip abroad just to get married.

I am often amused by the FAQ here of people inquiring about being able to fly over to the US to "visit" [aka "live"] with their beloved while awaiting visa processing. The amusement comes from the fact that historically it was not easy to travel. [Also, the stated social mores of the time were different -- no one blinked an eyelash that Will and Kate were already living together -- a change from his parents' time.]
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

i added fee's too the link in my signature for my CR1. Worked out to be about $1280 ish

Add in also.... transportation costs to from london for the medical and embassy, plus hotel costs if needed. Also add in postage costs and photocopying fees if applicable
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've read the Wiki entry outlining the pros and cons of K-1 vs Immigrant Visa: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas
however Im trying to find a similar article outlining the differences in total costs between either going K1 or CR1 route
Many thx
Mark
A cost comparison article would be hard to keep up to date, as the fees and costs change frequently. Also, doctors (and lawyers) set their own fees, so there's no way to post what the fee would be for sure.

For those mentioning the K-1 costs, don't forget the cost of having the vaccination supplement done in the USA for the AOS package (fee set by individual doctors).

My own layman's input would be that the CR-1 Immigrant Visa in regards to FEES is probably less expensive than a K-1. However, the I-129F can be filed right away (if you've met in person within the past 2 years), whereas for the Immigrant Visa you still have to meet up again and get married in order to begin (so you have to add in the cost of another visit plus whatever you do for a wedding).

If you budget $2,500 - $3,000 for the entire process, you'll probably be OK either way.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 1st 2011 at 2:36 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 3:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of process this is a valid equation.
In terms of cost it is not.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by rallybug
Would you prefer an extra set of brackets in there to iterate that K-1 + AOS = CR-1?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of hidden incidental costs. It feels like I spent hundreds on passport style pictures alone.

I recently filed for citizenship and did a rough total of all money spent from filing for K1 to date. I did have a lawyer at the start but she wasn't too expensive. I can't remember the exact number but I think it was just short of $8k including the lawyer fees, say around $6k without.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:54 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience I have to say I wish we hadn't gone down the K1 route. I have been in the US for over three months now, and face probably the same again before I can consider employment. It's a long time to wait. I would have been better off waiting in the UK for the CR-1, working while I waited, and then come to the US.

In all honestly I don't know if I can make it another 3 months waiting for EAD. I am seriously thinking about going home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.