Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Correction of what I said last week.

Correction of what I said last week.

Old May 15th 2004, 9:12 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Correction of what I said last week.

I have to say I agree with this about quality of the housing.

We had a brand new house in Australia which was a typical McMansion with vast floor space and the pool etc etc etc. But the thing that struck me was it was'nt going to last more than 20 years and in fact it was expected that after this long you would knock it down and build a new one. I wonder if people realise this in the UK when they watch the ridiculously misleading TV shows featuring mcmansions in Oz.

If you think about it a UK house is a bargain if like our current Victorian has lasted in excess of 150 years. If it was a current Oz house it would have needed to be demolished and rebuilt 7 times at huge cost during the same period.

Would also say in Oz we had huge noise problems from neighbours (music, weed whacking, v8 lawnmowers) and we had to run the ducted aircon during most of the summer and winter time. Whereas our current home in the UK is peaceful and quiet with considerate neighbours plus given the wall thickness rarely gets too cold or too hot.

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Hi Dotty&Jane

We are currently house hunting too, and many prices do seem to be extremely inflated. We are hoping for a slow down or even a u-turn in prices onxce interest rates start to bite.

The difference here is we would spend the money on a house and not have any regrets. In Perth I just couldn't see anywhere I wanted to live and we were far from inpressed with the standards over there.

I think it great that some familiar faces are posting on the returnee forum now it will be good to see how things are all working out for us.

Unfortunately it also seem that new trolls have followed but hey!! some people will never have a life will they.

We are spoilt for choice on where to go for a holiday in the Summer, OZ will definately NOT be on the list.

Donna
Old May 15th 2004, 9:17 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Correction of what I said last week.

Originally posted by dugongs
I have to say I agree with this about quality of the housing.

We had a brand new house in Australia which was a typical McMansion with vast floor space and the pool etc etc etc. But the thing that struck me was it was'nt going to last more than 20 years and in fact it was expected that after this long you would knock it down and build a new one. I wonder if people realise this in the UK when they watch the ridiculously misleading TV shows featuring mcmansions in Oz.

If you think about it a UK house is a bargain if like our current Victorian has lasted in excess of 150 years. If it was a current Oz house it would have needed to be demolished and rebuilt 7 times at huge cost during the same period.

Would also say in Oz we had huge noise problems from neighbours (music, weed whacking, v8 lawnmowers) and we had to run the ducted aircon during most of the summer and winter time. Whereas our current home in the UK is peaceful and quiet with considerate neighbours plus given the wall thickness rarely gets too cold or too hot.

Dugongs sorry what part of Surrey are you in?? I came from Coulsdon and Caterham.