Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Contemplating moving back for daughters education...

Contemplating moving back for daughters education...

Old Sep 26th 2016, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contemplating moving back for daughters education...

We're in Florida and have been for about 9 years. (Had a 6 month stint in U.K. Around 5 years ago).
I'm a UKC and DH is USC. Our daughter is 4 and has her UK and US passport.
I'm pretty nervous about the education system here in Florida and the future for my daughter, so I'm seriously thinking about a move back to the U.K. - -although not sure where exactly!
My DH is an attorney and he is nervous about the work prospects over in the U.K. At this stage in his career, he'd have to spend approx $10k on being able to practice British law and then, with no guarantee of work of course. That being said, his employer over here is downsizing so he'll probably be looking for other options anyway - the joys of working in an "at will state!"
I'm getting pretty down about the situation - on one hand,I love our house, beaches etc but on the other I think about daughters future and our future too.
Also the culture, food, seasons, all seem so attractive in comparison to the stifling heat, having to drive everywhere and the usual "cons" of living in the Sunshine State!
Sorry for the long post, but I figured this would be the best place to post! Thanks for reading

Last edited by ExBritFL; Sep 26th 2016 at 6:41 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving back for daughters education...

As your husband is a lawyer, could you afford a private school for your daughter?
Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As your husband is a lawyer, could you afford a private school for your daughter?
Yes and no..
However, to be fair, we are right near a 10 graded public school (and one which is highly recommended by friends and neighbors) so no real need. They also have a fabulous program for "gifted" pupils FWIW
The comparisons of curriculums and the kids being a year behind potentially is more of a concern though as far as the education goes as is the cost of future university and college education.

Last edited by ExBritFL; Sep 26th 2016 at 7:21 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Anenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I saw your post and just had to reply. I left Florida with my husband and daughters last year. We all are UKC except our youngest daughter who is dual with USC aswell. We left as I to thought that my children would be better off with a British education. In America my eldest was in the gifted programme and thrieveing but I was still hankering for her to have the education I had and I thought at the time it was better in the UK. My daughter attended a school in Florida with a Great School rating of 8 in the UK both my children now attend with the youngest just turned four a public school with OFSTED rating it "Outstanding". Is the education any better personally I don't think so. My oldest daughter hasn't even touch on the things that she was learning in her gifted class and is very much ahead of her class peers. My youngest daughter is being taught how to read and write through a programme called "Ruth Miskin Training" not sure if they use this in all schools but thought maybe you could take a look.

I wanted to leave America as I to wanted to have seasons back, country walks and great food with the joys of being able to walk to everything. Wow I was wrong we have not adjusted to the weather well. We have barely visited the beach which is a ten minute drive from us when we used to go to one almost everyday we miss that. The cold seasons seem to last forever and the outdoor life we had is not so much anymore.

Of course there are positive, shopping is cheaper and I do feel more in a festive spirit at Christmas and love the pantomimes.

We are lucky we are moving back to Florida next year and we can't wait!

I know this reply is negative but I wish someone would of told me straight rather than sugar coated everything. If you want to ask me anything please feel free.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 11:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anenglishrose
Is the education any better personally I don't think so. My oldest daughter hasn't even touch on the things that she was learning in her gifted class and is very much ahead of her class peers.
Has she been properly assessed as gifted though? If so, she should be in the Gifted/Talented program in the UK and being taken for extra 1 on 1 work, stretched academically etc. If she's not been assessed, then that will be why, but if the school haven't suggested it themselves (they usually do for anybody that is really high flying academically), then you can ask to have it done.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

I saw your post and just had to reply. I left Florida with my husband and daughters last year. We all are UKC except our youngest daughter who is dual with USC aswell. We left as I to thought that my children would be better off with a British education. In America my eldest was in the gifted programme and thrieveing but I was still hankering for her to have the education I had and I thought at the time it was better in the UK. My daughter attended a school in Florida with a Great School rating of 8 in the UK both my children now attend with the youngest just turned four a public school with OFSTED rating it "Outstanding". Is the education any better personally I don't think so. My oldest daughter hasn't even touch on the things that she was learning in her gifted class and is very much ahead of her class peers. My youngest daughter is being taught how to read and write through a programme called "Ruth Miskin Training" not sure if they use this in all schools but thought maybe you could take a look.

I wanted to leave America as I to wanted to have seasons back, country walks and great food with the joys of being able to walk to everything. Wow I was wrong we have not adjusted to the weather well. We have barely visited the beach which is a ten minute drive from us when we used to go to one almost everyday we miss that. The cold seasons seem to last forever and the outdoor life we had is not so much anymore.

Of course there are positive, shopping is cheaper and I do feel more in a festive spirit at Christmas and love the pantomimes.

We are lucky we are moving back to Florida next year and we can't wait!

I know this reply is negative but I wish someone would of told me straight rather than sugar coated everything. If you want to ask me anything please feel free.
Thanks so much for the detailed info - certainly puts a different perspective in my thoughts regarding the education. I had no idea the schools over in the U.K. don't recognize gifted students as they do in some schools here.
On a separate note, if you don't my asking, how easy was it for you both to find work?
Good luck in the move back - where in FL are you relocating back too?
Old Sep 27th 2016, 4:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
I had no idea the schools over in the U.K. don't recognize gifted students as they do in some schools here.
See my post above, they absolutely do.

HTH.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

HTH.
Hello,

Yes she is registered what does that mean for her well she receives harder homework and class work but still in the subjects taught in her class and never has she had any one on one. In America at her gifted school she had already used a Bunsen burner and done several science experiments she will not touch that again till secondary school. Gifted here is not the same. No time dedicated to learning more and really pushing gifted children's boundaries.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the detailed info - certainly puts a different perspective in my thoughts regarding the education. I had no idea the schools over in the U.K. don't recognize gifted students as they do in some schools here.
On a separate note, if you don't my asking, how easy was it for you both to find work?
Good luck in the move back - where in FL are you relocating back too?
My husband transferred back over with his company so employment wasn't an issue. I found a job in the property industry very easily it looks good on a CV that I had also been employed in similar line of work in the US.

We are moving to Ponte Vedra north of St Augustine South of Jacksonville.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hello,

Yes she is registered what does that mean for her well she receives harder homework and class work but still in the subjects taught in her class and never has she had any one on one. In America at her gifted school she had already used a Bunsen burner and done several science experiments she will not touch that again till secondary school. Gifted here is not the same. No time dedicated to learning more and really pushing gifted children's boundaries.
that's interesting...
Old Sep 27th 2016, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

HTH.
Thanks for the link, lots of useful info on it I will read it
Old Sep 27th 2016, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Florida and have been for about 9 years. (Had a 6 month stint in U.K. Around 5 years ago).
I'm a UKC and DH is USC. Our daughter is 4 and has her UK and US passport.
Before the OP leaves the US, would she considers applying for US citizenship just in case things don't work out for the family in the UK?
Old Sep 27th 2016, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HKG3
Before the OP leaves the US, would she considers applying for US citizenship just in case things don't work out for the family in the UK?
Thanks, and yes I totally would do so :-)
Old Sep 27th 2016, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing the OP may wish to do in the US before coming back to the UK is to open UK bank accounts for your husband and child. HSBC offers this kind of service in the US.

https://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/per...banking-center
Old Sep 27th 2016, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hello,

Very different from my daughter's experience then, I think you should have a word with your school as it seems they're not doing what would normally be expected. My daughter is given plenty of 1 to 1 time, extension work and very much pushed - she's taking her first GCSE two years early due to the extra work she's been given.

Don't tar all UK education with the same brush, it seems your school can't be bothered frankly, but that's not the case everywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.