Was it a conspiracy ?

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 12:12 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was it a conspiracy ?

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Hi Issie - I think that every situation is different. Most people see the UK for what it is - some good points, some bad but would just like to try something different. Others love it here and would never consider leaving. Others like us, listened to negative news reports and believed that Australia would offer us some kind of sanctury.

Whilst I blame only myself for believing this and being so naive, I do think that the TV and newspapers should take some kind of responsibilty for what they are reporting. I (and others) put in a complaint to GMTV this week because of their feature Up Sticks to Down Under. They presented a picture of gloomy, grey UK, then cut to a picturesque Australia complete with happy family, sunny skies and beautiful beaches. To me this is nothing short of brainwashing - and unfortunately it does work. People do listen and believe. We may be thick, stupid or silly but thats the power of the box in the corner - why else do advertisers pay a fortune to market their products there. Fortunately GMTV must have listened to our complaints because they did issue a warning to viewers on Friday that emigrating isn't for everyone.

I must repeat though that I do blame only myself for being sucked in and not seeing through the hype. Bloody idiot I am
A lot of it is the Brits preoccupation of wanting to be some where in the sun and thats why the likes of GMTV flog the idea to death .
What some of the people want is the uk and everything it offers ie great pubs ,castles ,history ,in the sun .It doesnt exist and sitting on the beach is enough to bore the pants off a person after a fortnight let alone doing it for 40 years .
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:22 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
I can sort of relate to what you are saying.

Maybe some of us have to justify our leaving somewhere by "trashing it" - so to speak. We see "problems" that are not really there - or are blown out of realistic proportion by the press.
I think I am guilty of doing this - it made me feel better about leaving!
I agree with you...over the years I've seen people trash the UK only to go back and see the place in a different light....

I love the UK warts and all...I like the USA and can't see myself leaving it in the near future...but I'm glad I never pinned all my hopes on the place because I would of been let down to earth with a big bump....
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
A lot of it is the Brits preoccupation of wanting to be some where in the sun and thats why the likes of GMTV flog the idea to death .
What some of the people want is the uk and everything it offers ie great pubs ,castles ,history ,in the sun .It doesnt exist and sitting on the beach is enough to bore the pants off a person after a fortnight let alone doing it for 40 years .
Spot on! The older I have got the harder I find it to sit on a beach, so I sail, windsurf, read, build sand sculptures, play with the kids, swim etc etc. I am still ready for home after my hol too! Oz is beaches...and not much else...( expecting a slating for that comment!)
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramblebush
Before leaving the UK 18 months ago, I was caught up in the whole negative thing, everywhere I went people were moaning about the country and the government, immigration, youth culture, lack of respect. crime, safety etc, etc

Me and OH were feeling really unhappy about the way the country was and worrying about where it would all end and surely something terrible would happen soon (again, etc, etc)

So, we jumped ship before it sunk, whatelse could we do, it was a really bad situation - apparently

Now I have this feeling of betrayal, I feel that I started running and when I finally stopped to look round nobody had followed, all those people that hate it there are still living there, in the 18 months that I have been gone nothing has changed

I gave up my home, job, moved my children and they all carried on like normal as if none of these terrible things are happening at all and it was one big joke

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter or resentful and I'm not directing this at anyone in particular it is just that I can't explain the feeling any other way.

We are now stuck in limbo, we don't regret leaving but have this strong feeling of wanting to return but are now scared of making the wrong decision

I know that none of you can tell me what I should do but I would appreciate any sort of feedback, perhaps some of you can relate to this feeling
I know youre not looking to place blame, but I do blame the press to a large extent. Everyone has free will, but well, ya know.

I think the British media has a hell of a lot to answer for. Between Murdoch and the Mail the "popular press" is telling everyone the UK is like hell on earth compared to wonderful spain, florida, oz, south france etc etc. People that actually leave, generally learn better.

We know the press is right wing and we have Tony in Governemnt but it came to the point some years ago when the anti Britain rhetoric and sensationalist headlining stopped being poitical and started being counter productive.

The editors need to get abroad, get some perspective and start realising that unfortunately they do have a huge effect on the public and in many ways its devastatingly negative.

EDIT: Just read lousieD's repsonse, aye, totally agree. It's not just the blatant "fun in the sun" type reporting thats the problem imo. Its the way it has almost become habit to see which aspect of life in Britain we can run down today.

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; Apr 3rd 2007 at 7:42 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:59 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Before leaving the UK 18 months ago, I was caught up in the whole negative thing, everywhere I went people were moaning about the country and the government, immigration, youth culture, lack of respect. crime, safety etc, etc

Me and OH were feeling really unhappy about the way the country was and worrying about where it would all end and surely something terrible would happen soon (again, etc, etc)

So, we jumped ship before it sunk, whatelse could we do, it was a really bad situation - apparently

Now I have this feeling of betrayal, I feel that I started running and when I finally stopped to look round nobody had followed, all those people that hate it there are still living there, in the 18 months that I have been gone nothing has changed

I gave up my home, job, moved my children and they all carried on like normal as if none of these terrible things are happening at all and it was one big joke

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter or resentful and I'm not directing this at anyone in particular it is just that I can't explain the feeling any other way.

We are now stuck in limbo, we don't regret leaving but have this strong feeling of wanting to return but are now scared of making the wrong decision

I know that none of you can tell me what I should do but I would appreciate any sort of feedback, perhaps some of you can relate to this feeling
Its not a conspiracy , its just happening slowly and slower than what you predicted .

The country is still struggling on and on the surface looks much the same , However when you look under the carpet so to speak there is many things that are chipping away , which will in time lead to the inevitable crumble !!

I am sure many would love to follow you , i know when i say about getting away everyone says i dont blame you , if i could afford to i would etc,etc.
So its more a case of most are heavily in debt in the Uk stuffed with Mortgages or in rented accomodation which they cant just get capital enough in order to do the major move !!!

In 18 months let me think Hmmmmmm whats changed ,,,
1/ Rates have gone up 10%
2/ Countrys gone NO Smoking crazy
3/ Taxation added to virtually everything , The UK is going through a sort the worlds global warming problem by itself !! With taxes added to on land fills and flying and well anything they can !!
4/ Rubbish collections changed to once a fortnight .
5/ Another 1 million immigrants have appeared , and added further drains on the dentists, hospitals ,housing etc..
6/ House prices have gone up even further about 10 - 20% in some areas .
7/ Hospitals have severe MRSA outbreaks more regularly
8/ Numerous BIG Manufacturing Companies have closed or relocated production to the Far East
9/ Food bills rose by about 10% added costs of Haulage costs and taxation on the packaging and stuff i imagine.
10/All Computers and accessories cheaper than ever ,likewise all electric goods
11/The country is now officially multi racial ,a trip up town can very often be like a International airport waitting lounge .
12/England football team still useless.
13/Weather seems to be warmer in general but wetter ,from Last November til this March has been so wet ! Add to this the warmer weather been a lot of Mossies and creepy things that normally were killed by our frosts ! so summer will be interesting ?
14/All utility bills have risen its getting so expensive to live and a lot of people work there socks off to make a living.
15/Finance is so easily achieved with low interest rates so lots of new cars and the country is favouring the buy now pay later way of life .
16/Credit cards given away like confetti , Uk has i believe one of the highest debt ratios per person than anywhere in the world , dont know if thats true or not ? heard it somewhere .
17/Crime is on the increase with more violent killings happening.
18/Have heard some towns now have micro chipped rubbish bins and if you dont recycle you get fined .
19/Coastal holiday resorts in serious decline and so dull and gloomy ,had poor summer seasons and it shows .
20/Road congestion getting worse ,travelling distance gets harder and takes longer
21/Government planning to introduce road toll charges , and even planning a car meter so they charge you by the mile on when you drive.
22/Cigarettes now up to £ 6 a pack in some places
23/Pint of Beer about £ 2.50p
24/Litre of Petrol £ 1
25/Road Tax on 4x4 vehicles now £ 400 a year
26/Many small shops in our town forced to close as Tescos , Asda, etc and excessive rates and rents are driving them out of business
27/TV licence £165

Hope this helps you ?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Its not a conspiracy , its just happening slowly and slower than what you predicted .

The country is still struggling on and on the surface looks much the same , However when you look under the carpet so to speak there is many things that are chipping away , which will in time lead to the inevitable crumble !!

I am sure many would love to follow you , i know when i say about getting away everyone says i dont blame you , if i could afford to i would etc,etc.
So its more a case of most are heavily in debt in the Uk stuffed with Mortgages or in rented accomodation which they cant just get capital enough in order to do the major move !!!

1/ Rates have gone up 10%
2/ Countrys gone NO Smoking crazy
3/ Taxation added to virtually everything , The UK is going through a sort the worlds global warming problem by itself !! With taxes added to on land fills and flying and well anything they can !!
4/ Rubbish collections changed to once a fortnight .
5/ Another 1 million immigrants have appeared , and added further drains on the dentists, hospitals ,housing etc..
6/ House prices have gone up even further about 10 - 20% in some areas .
7/ Hospitals have severe MRSA outbreaks more regularly
8/ Numerous BIG Manufacturing Companies have closed or relocated production to the Far East
9/ Food bills rose by about 10% added costs of Haulage costs and taxation on the packaging and stuff i imagine.
11/The country is now officially multi racial ,a trip up town can very often be like a International airport waitting lounge .
12/England football team still useless.
13/Weather seems to be warmer in general but wetter ,from Last November til this March has been so wet ! Add to this the warmer weather been a lot of Mossies and creepy things that normally were killed by our frosts ! so summer will be interesting ?
14/All utility bills have risen its getting so expensive to live and a lot of people work there socks off to make a living.
15/Finance is so easily achieved with low interest rates so lots of new cars and the country is favouring the buy now pay later way of life .
16/Credit cards given away like confetti , Uk has i believe one of the highest debt ratios per person than anywhere in the world , dont know if thats true or not ? heard it somewhere .
17/Crime is on the increase with more violent killings happening.
18/Have heard some towns now have micro chipped rubbish bins and if you dont recycle you get fined .
19/Coastal holiday resorts in serious decline and so dull and gloomy ,had poor summer seasons and it shows .
20/Road congestion getting worse ,travelling distance gets harder and takes longer
21/Government planning to introduce road toll charges , and even planning a car meter so they charge you by the mile on when you drive.
24/Litre of Petrol £ 1
25/Road Tax on 4x4 vehicles now £ 400 a year
26/Many small shops in our town forced to close as Tescos , Asda, etc and excessive rates and rents are driving them out of business
27/TV licence £165

Hope this helps you ?

Maybe those who have lived overseas can help you do you think you could actually do a bit of research on other countries before posting again, just so you know what your talking about.

Smoking outside in Uk, are you oblivious to the fact that in say OZ you cant smoke, in beaches, parks, 10m of buildings and soon to be cars, on the spot fines.

Your always going on about hospitals, how about the 40 people in NZ with possible mad cow disease from hospital instruments, now big pete if that was the UK it would have been SLIGHTLY BIG NEWS probably acompanied by your favourite headline, " Lets get the furk out of here were all gonna die"

You comments about food, taxes and and bills are laughable, given what some of that costs here

Debt levels in other countries, again, do a bit of study.

Just about everything your saying is similar elsewhere, but best of all
your complaiining britain is multi racial so your going to solve that one by becoming an immigrant.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:52 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too !!
Me too. I was sucked in with the hype! we fell for it huck line and sinker. I remember slagging off the UK before we left, now i know this was to justify my reasons for leaving. I lied to myself.

Now the truth hurts as i finally realise moving away from the UK was all for the wrong reasons. This will be put right though, we all make mistakes at some stage, this one was just too bloody expensive
Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:07 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

High taxes - don't make me laugh! As a self-employed person in the US I am paying 52% of my net earnings in various taxes (federal, state, Social Security, Medicare). And healthcare premiums/co-pays/non-covered-bits and property taxes on top of it. If you thought council taxes were high - come to California....).

And the significance of 'nice weather' is highly overrated.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
And the significance of 'nice weather' is highly overrated.
' nice weather ' I love that one, often quoted whilst overlooking small technical points such as level 5 water restrictions or entire states so brown they are a dust bowl. Nice tho
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You comments about food, taxes and and bills are laughable, given what some of that costs here
I personally find the cost of living cheaper in Oz. Suppose it depends on your lifestyle though!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 6:12 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

1/ Rates have gone up 10% The average council tax rise in 2006 was 4.3%.
2/ Countrys gone NO Smoking crazy Great idea, will help some give up and save others from second hand smoke, about 5 years behind many other more progressive places.
3/ Taxation added to virtually everything , The UK is going through a sort the worlds global warming problem by itself !! With taxes added to on land fills and flying and well anything they can !! It needs someone to take the lead and show the way, good that the UK is doing it.
4/ Rubbish collections changed to once a fortnight . To promote recycling
5/ Another 1 million immigrants have appeared , and added further drains on the dentists, hospitals ,housing etc.. Most of the immigrants are the ones working in the hospitals etc keeping them afloat
6/ House prices have gone up even further about 10 - 20% in some areas. I remember the good old days when we complained about prices going down.
7/ Hospitals have severe MRSA outbreaks more regularly. As do many other countries - resistant bugs are a fact of life
8/ Numerous BIG Manufacturing Companies have closed or relocated production to the Far East. Same as for any western country, you want the cheap computer then expect it to be made overseas
11/The country is now officially multi racial ,a trip up town can very often be like a International airport waitting lounge . Nothing wrong in that, makes UK life more interesting
12/England football team still useless. no argument there
13/Weather seems to be warmer in general but wetter ,from Last November til this March has been so wet ! Add to this the warmer weather been a lot of Mossies and creepy things that normally were killed by our frosts ! so summer will be interesting ? see (3) above
14/All utility bills have risen its getting so expensive to live and a lot of people work there socks off to make a living. Promotes energy efficiency
17/Crime is on the increase with more violent killings happening. In murders per capita the UK has less than the US, Australia, Canada, Germany and around the same as Spain & France.
18/Have heard some towns now have micro chipped rubbish bins and if you dont recycle you get fined . You really have a bee in your bonnet about recycling don't you?
21/Government planning to introduce road toll charges , and even planning a car meter so they charge you by the mile on when you drive. In response to your complaint (20) above
24/Litre of Petrol £ 1 promotes fuel efficiency and public transport
25/Road Tax on 4x4 vehicles now £ 400 a year - should be controlled by the price of fuel
27/TV licence £165 amazing value

Hope this helps you ?
Boy are you going to enjoy yourself in Spain
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:47 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Boy are you going to enjoy yourself in Spain
Totally agree with your replies. Trouble is, Big pete is blinkered about the UK and reckons that Spain will be way better for him. Good luck to him I say. I have an uncle who emigrated to Spain 10 years ago now. They live in a nice area between Alicante and Valencia, they had lots of upheaval because of that land grabbing issue. Then they were broken into up in the mountains, so they moved into the town to a top floor penthouse apartment. Three weeks later....they were broken into. They return yearly to the UK for health treatment because they reckon the Spanish doctors by them are useless. My uncle would love to return to the UK...can't afford to now.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:27 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand why comments like the above are made by Big Pete and people like him. I was of a similar mind before I emigrated

All I ever saw was that the UK was rubbish in every way possible - how different and wonderful Oz was going to be - great lifestyle, low taxes, low cost of living OMG after a year living away did I wake up and realise that it wasn't that bad here at all.

Hope your dreams come true Pete - and if you do find Utopia please give us a shout and we'll follow
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:42 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Was it a conspiracy ?

Just had a quick run through Costa Del Big Pete's "list of Doom", to see how many of those alledged points are having a major impact on my life. It appears to be none. Phew!

11/The country is now officially multi racial
I must have missed this. Was there a ceremony, or an announcement, like when we went decimal?

Marvellous isn't it? "I don't approve of people from other "races" being here, so I'm off to the Mediterranean".
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:48 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo

Marvellous isn't it? "I don't approve of people from other "races" being here, so I'm off to the Mediterranean".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.