Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Considering moving back to the UK from US after 10 years

Considering moving back to the UK from US after 10 years

Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering moving back to the UK from US after 10 years

What's the big rush?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Faiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
. Doing nothing will leave you open to US taxation.
I'm sorry, I don't understand this part. Leave me open to taxation on what. exactly?

BTW thank you all for taking time to respond, it's been really helpful.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Faiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond reputeFaiythe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What's the big rush?
Just that my parents are 70 next year, not in great health, and I visited in June and am all too aware that time is passing
Old Aug 9th 2013, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faiythe
Just that my parents are 70 next year, not in great health, and I visited in June and am all too aware that time is passing
Rushing back to no jobs or accommodation doesn't seem like a good way to help them though.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your comments.

Can you give me any advice on how to secure an office job from the US? I was thinking of registering with temp agencies as soon as I get back, because I do not think they will be able to line anything up from over here. The sort of work I would be looking for, basically office work, is not something that a company is going to hold open until I can get there and start in a month.

I would also be reluctant to try to secure accommodations without viewing the property/area, so I was thinking it would be better to wait until we arrived to sort that out.

Like I said before, we are aiming to try to get enough money together to get us through a years rent and at least 2 months living expenses.

I've lived in the US for 10 years now, and I used to think "How can I give up all these things I have?" and now I find myself looking around and thinking "its all just STUFF that can be replaced" and people and time can not be replaced. We might not have many more years left, and I just feel as though it would be better to be there to help them, than to be stuck thousands of miles away.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know, but it just sounds very hasty, unless you feel your parents are really at death's door. I'm not sure you could really present yourself as homeless if you have intentionally given up jobs and a home. Keep saving and set up some short-term accommodation from the US? I think a number of people on this forum have done that when they moved back. WhoFan as I remember had some good information on job centre help if you look up her threads.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you give me any advice on how to secure an office job from the US? I was thinking of registering with temp agencies as soon as I get back, because I do not think they will be able to line anything up from over here. The sort of work I would be looking for, basically office work, is not something that a company is going to hold open until I can get there and start in a month.

I would also be reluctant to try to secure accommodations without viewing the property/area, so I was thinking it would be better to wait until we arrived to sort that out.

Like I said before, we are aiming to try to get enough money together to get us through a years rent and at least 2 months living expenses.

I've lived in the US for 10 years now, and I used to think "How can I give up all these things I have?" and now I find myself looking around and thinking "its all just STUFF that can be replaced" and people and time can not be replaced. We might not have many more years left, and I just feel as though it would be better to be there to help them, than to be stuck thousands of miles away.
I agree with all the points you make here. I've arrived "cold" in the US twice and in the UK once, no job, no housing, very little money, and each time have soon got low wage employment (whatever it takes) and been able to move out of parents/siblings spare room or basement within six weeks. Hell, couch surfing is not enjoyable for them or for us! As you say, getting an appropriate rental and a better job is something you can do more effectively when you are nearby.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I don't understand this part. Leave me open to taxation on what. exactly?

As a green card holder the US will tax you on your worldwide income. There is a double taxation treaty in place that prevents you from being taxed twice, ie by the US and the UK, but you will probably have to file a US tax return to make sure you are paying the correct amounts to each country. US tax payers who live in the UK usually end up paying little to no tax in the US because of the UK's higher tax rates. But if you get UK benefits that are free of UK tax those would be fully taxable by the US........that's if you keep the green card.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:59 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As a Green Card holder your are required to pay tax on income you receive ANYWHERE in the world. You make £10 an hour at Tesco in Essex for a few weeks while still holding a Green Card, you have a US tax owed on that £10.

Now, with the tax treaty that exists, and with exclusions and other bits for Americans (and Green Card holders) living overseas, you actually don't have to "pay" any US tax on that. It's basically -$0- owed. But you still have to file a US tax return every year you hold a Green Card until you formally surrender it to the US government and file the necessary immigration and tax forms to declare "I am no longer resident".

So that's the issue--keep the Green Card alive by filing for a re-entry permit valid for a couple of years, and then go through the yearly process of filing and claiming the deductions for US taxes -OR- formally surrender your Green Card, fill out the US tax form saying 'hasta la vista' and be done with all the paperwork requirements, but then have to jump through hoops if you want to return to the USA one day.

Last edited by penguinsix; Aug 10th 2013 at 12:01 am.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Something to ponder, for sure. Thank you
Old Aug 17th 2013, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Bitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really niceBitzi is just really nice

Hello again, I just found your posts... As you know we're in similar situations and your comment really struck a cord with me. Whilst living in the US my mum who was in the UK suddenly became ill and sadly died quite quickly. Fortunately I was able to fly back in time to spend some time with her but it was too brief. I then flew back again for the funeral and spent time in her house sorting out her belongings and you're right, it is just stuff. I gave away what I could and a lot unfortunately just got thrown away. It completely changed my outlook on all my possessions, the things I cling onto etc.

I soon am returning back to the UK and even with my new perspective on "stuff" am having a hard time letting go of it. Thank you for your post, reading that "people and time cannot be replaced" gave me such a lump in my throat. It's going to be hard going back and there will be a time where we are in shock and grieve for the life we had in the US. BUT stay strong, follow your heart and good luck