Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Considering moving back to UK from US

Considering moving back to UK from US

Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

calle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nice
Default Re: Considering moving back to UK from US

Hi Guys!! Remember me? I had so much trouble logging in to my account so I had to start over. I have been back for over two years now, and I must tell you I found JAJ a real help. Now, I took quite a loss also with the exchange rate. My experience is that I absolutely love being home, even though I had left as a child. Yes, lots had changed but also lots had remained the same according to my memory. As much as I loved it, it was quite a struggle. At first it was all dreamlike amasement, then came the struggle to get a job and finally having to go to a temp agency. I did and the first job they sent me to, decided they wanted me to stay after only two days. I went from warehouse colleague to team leader in only a few months. I loved it there but still the pay was low. I recently applied at a new job, landed it straight away and have moved up already in two weeks. I now earn twice what I started at. I am just putting this in to let you know that it is a struggle and it does take time, but you can gain it back. My children adjusted well, and my youngest is now in six form and doing really well and getting ready for uni soon. I miss nothing about the US except my sisters and mum. I still struggle with that, but I have been back twice already to visit them and my sister is coming here for a visit in the spring. The only other thing that gets me down is we are still renting. After owning my own home for countless years, its hard not having my own place, but I know that if I work hard that will come also. We have been very lucky renting with ease with pets so that can be done as well.
All in all, I am very happy and I really believe my life is better here. I am so happy to finally, after all these years, be in my own country again. Its not perfect, but it is amasing and beautiful. My two dogs are learning to be friendly British dogs as well. They love their walkies here. There are so many nice green areas.
My husband (American) is working and loves it here. He loves the history and loves going on drives and walks to explore places.
So, my advice....go where your heart is...its worth the struggle.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:36 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Calle!!

Great to hear from you again. So glad to know you are so happy there. I'm sure with patience and determination you will continue to succeed and get that house of yours. All the best....xxx
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

alanps is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for all the advice it is much appreciated.

For clarification - we actually like life here, we have done well in the US - but like some others we did not come here because we were looking for a better life, we had a great life in the UK

Funny thing is that the current exchange rate bomb is a reason to consider going back in its own right. Frankly the longer we are here earning dollars the further we fall behind in the UK. The likelihood of a quick recovery to $1.50 is extremely thin, and as things are going the gap is only likely to widen. In short the sensible math is to take a short term hit by returning to the UK, rather than the long term hit of staying here with a declining economy and dollar.

Again just picking up on some of the comments - I get back to the UK quite often through work ( 3 or 4 times a year ) and frankly there is an energy and buzz about the place that I miss so much. I love the US and spend a lot of time defending it to others, but it's a far more negative and resigned place than it was 10 years back...
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

calle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nicecalle 1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Hey Calle!!

Great to hear from you again. So glad to know you are so happy there. I'm sure with patience and determination you will continue to succeed and get that house of yours. All the best....xxx
Hiya! And thanks. There is so much that people take for granted here.

Alan, the 'buzz' is right. I just had a gorgeous day saturday with my daughter. We went to the Bullring. Easy train service straight to it, full of shoppers, loads of shopping, and really alive.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Considering moving back to UK from US

Hi Calle, sounds like you are fitting in just fine. Must feel wonderful to be back. I hope you don't mind, but I sent you a PM asking a couple questions.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I have dreamed about going to live in Canada or the USA (especially USA - hopefully Iowa where I have an Americanm contact I first met here in Edinburgh) sometime in the near future and that is why I enjoy coming into this forum to read all the posts to get info on what fellow Brits now living over there think about their respective adopted countries - positives or negatives. Very interesting, but right now I'm in no position at all to make any move for various reasons, primarily financial Anyway I very much like reading the posts in here.

I've lived in the UK all my life (Edinburgh) and I love it here but would like to live/work outside of the UK / Europe at some stage (hopefully North America) before I get much older (I'm 25) but reckon I would want to come back to the UK after a few years anyway, but there you go.

There was an amusing article in the Times newspaper today 12/11/07 all about Britain today and how we Britons view our own country at the present time, and these are the links, one being all the relevant comments people have made, good or bad.

Maybe for someone thinking of coming to live in the UK (for the first time or returning after a wee while abroad in other countries) it could be of interest - it may make you happy or it may make you sad. I guess there is no such thing as a heaven on earth

http://timesonline.typepad.com/comme...-comment-.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2852658.ece
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I have dreamed about going to live in Canada or the USA (especially USA - hopefully Iowa where I have an Americanm contact I first met here in Edinburgh) sometime in the near future and that is why I enjoy coming into this forum to read all the posts to get info on what fellow Brits now living over there think about their respective adopted countries - positives or negatives. Very interesting, but right now I'm in no position at all to make any move for various reasons, primarily financial Anyway I very much like reading the posts in here.

I've lived in the UK all my life (Edinburgh) and I love it here but would like to live/work outside of the UK / Europe at some stage (hopefully North America) before I get much older (I'm 25) but reckon I would want to come back to the UK after a few years anyway, but there you go.

There was an amusing article in the Times newspaper today 12/11/07 all about Britain today and how we Britons view our own country at the present time, and these are the links, one being all the relevant comments people have made, good or bad.

Maybe for someone thinking of coming to live in the UK (for the first time or returning after a wee while abroad in other countries) it could be of interest - it may make you happy or it may make you sad. I guess there is no such thing as a heaven on earth

http://timesonline.typepad.com/comme...-comment-.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2852658.ece
OK I'll be the first to ask you...what visa do you intend to use when you are eventually in a position to move from the UK?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OK I'll be the first to ask you...what visa do you intend to use when you are eventually in a position to move from the UK?
To be honest with you I really don't know for sure right now. I will be happy to explain my circumstances in here as best I can and all I can do is ask advice which I'm pretty sure will be forthcoming in this forum. But as I say I really can't see myself making any any real move towards this goal for at least a couple of years or so, unfortunately. It all sounds very complicated re the visas and quite a challenge to meet up with all the American immigration controls - apparently it's bad enough getting past those guys even if you're only going there on holiday.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
To be honest with you I really don't know for sure right now. I will be happy to explain my circumstances in here as best I can and all I can do is ask advice which I'm pretty sure will be forthcoming in this forum. But as I say I really can't see myself making any any real move towards this goal for at least a couple of years or so, unfortunately. It all sounds very complicated re the visas and quite a challenge to meet up with all the American immigration controls - apparently it's bad enough getting past those guys even if you're only going there on holiday.
Take a look at this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanps
Thanks so much for all the advice it is much appreciated.

For clarification - we actually like life here, we have done well in the US - but like some others we did not come here because we were looking for a better life, we had a great life in the UK

Funny thing is that the current exchange rate bomb is a reason to consider going back in its own right. Frankly the longer we are here earning dollars the further we fall behind in the UK. The likelihood of a quick recovery to $1.50 is extremely thin, and as things are going the gap is only likely to widen. In short the sensible math is to take a short term hit by returning to the UK, rather than the long term hit of staying here with a declining economy and dollar.

Again just picking up on some of the comments - I get back to the UK quite often through work ( 3 or 4 times a year ) and frankly there is an energy and buzz about the place that I miss so much. I love the US and spend a lot of time defending it to others, but it's a far more negative and resigned place than it was 10 years back...

Good luck with whatever you decide. The "expat curse" can affect people just like you, who like both the U.K. and the U.S. and find something missing in both places. Ultimately you have to decide on a place to settle, accept it, and go from there.

Even with dual citizenship, the attractions of ping-pong migration fade over time. Dual citizenship is a good insurance policy but realistically it's not something that can continually be utilised. The only residual benefit is the emotional gain from having a passport from both places you call "home".
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Hi Calle, sounds like you are fitting in just fine. Must feel wonderful to be back. I hope you don't mind, but I sent you a PM asking a couple questions.
Hi Marmalade! No, of course I dont mind...but I checked my PM's and dont see one from you.?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I'll send another one. Thanks.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Wow....a lot to take in there. Many thanks for that link....I've filed a copy for reference.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Christ on a bike.
I love it! Thank you for making me laugh. It's people like you that make me want to go back to the UK. Why does no-one say 'Christ on a bike' in the USA? They say 'Christ our lord and savior' and 'Christ is the reason for the season' and one of my neighbours proudly states on every vehicle they own ( 6 at my last count) that they were former drug addicts with 'Crack to Christ!' but never do I hear or see 'Oh for Christ sake', 'Jeeeesus H flippin' Christ' or Christ on a bike, Do you know how many people I would offend if I exasperated 'Christ on bike' during a conversation here in politically correct gated suburbialand?

OP, sorry for jacking your thread.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:39 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I love it! Thank you for making me laugh. It's people like you that make me want to go back to the UK. Why does no-one say 'Christ on a bike' in the USA? They say 'Christ our lord and savior' and 'Christ is the reason for the season' and one of my neighbours proudly states on every vehicle they own ( 6 at my last count) that they were former drug addicts with 'Crack to Christ!' but never do I hear or see 'Oh for Christ sake', 'Jeeeesus H flippin' Christ' or Christ on a bike, Do you know how many people I would offend if I exasperated 'Christ on bike' during a conversation here in politically correct gated suburbialand?

OP, sorry for jacking your thread.
OMG! You can't even say the word hell down here without everyone in the room getting their knickers in a twist!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.