Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Considering a move to Bristol instead of Outskirts of London

Considering a move to Bristol instead of Outskirts of London

Old Feb 20th 2013, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default Considering a move to Bristol instead of Outskirts of London

Does anyone have any experiences living in Bristol? I was born and raised in London and always hoped when we move back to maybe live outskirts of London. So still a decent car drive away to see family. I know Bristol would be further but if family life, cost of living etc would be better.. it might be worth considering.

But I was looking at home prices in Bristol and you definitely get more for your money. It has always been another city i enjoyed visiting and i also used to spend alot of time there for work. I wonder what it would be like there living as a family. I have seen some positive info online comparing London and Bristol but has anyone on this forum actually lived there?

Also for those of you that have tried a different area on returning to the UK, how did you find it?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering a move to Bristol instead of Outskirts of London

Housing isn't cheap. Less than London but more than a lot of places I think.

As a good a place as any, though. But not much in the way of big music events.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look in this thread

and another with a few links.

Last edited by BristolUK; Feb 21st 2013 at 4:46 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

I'm moving back to Bristol mid April after being away in Malaysia for 2 years.

We are renting our house out to great tenants so don't want to move back there. I've looked at 3 bed houses to rent in the Stoke Gifford/Bradley Stoke area of Bristol (close to Parkway Train Station) and you need around £800 per month for rent. House prices obviously vary depending on the area within Bristol but check out www.rightmove.co.uk for more info, also www.thisisbristol.co.uk for the local newspaper

Buses are very expensive and completely unreliable so best to drive or walk to work.

Lots of good pubs around, shopping is good and a nice place to live in general.

Great football team to follow - Bristol Rovers! LOL.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by Scrasey2; Feb 23rd 2013 at 3:10 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

We have also looked at Bristol and are still very willing to consider it. The only thing that really puts me off about Bristol is the lack in decent state schools.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:23 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MagsB
We have also looked at Bristol and are still very willing to consider it. The only thing that really puts me off about Bristol is the lack in decent state schools.
Can't help there...I left school in 1973.