Commutes to North London

Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Commutes to North London

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
hello - i live currently in north london and hope early next year to be living in north california! I lived very near north finchley and its an ok area to live- expensive tho as is all of north west london. I feel milton keynes is a bit far for a daily commute - the M1 from junction 10 is at a standstill. Maybe try areas such as Radlett- v nice but a bit expensive - Watford maybe...or Beaconsfield..or St Albans is v nice....driving into north finchley would be hard - better perhaps to find a tube and commute in...good luck to you!
Beaconsfield and St Albans are very expensive..good idea to just drive into somewhere with parking and tube like Pinner or Northwood and to hop on the underground.
Would save you quit a bit time
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

natashaloder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
Had a telephone interview on Friday evening which went very well and resulted in me being offered the job starting in early September.

The job will be based in North Finchley. I was wondering if anybody had any experience of areas that are within a reasonable commuting distance to Finchley. I would be prepared to drive up to 1 - 1.5 hours as this is what I do now. My initial research has led me to look no further north than areas such as Milton Keynes, Bedford, Aylesbury and High Wycombe.

Anybody know much about these areas i.e. housing, schools, lifestyle, transport, amenities etc.

Thanks
You need to start with the schools really, and work from there. That is the way things are done.

Good areas that are commuting distance include St Albans and Cambridge. But frankly Finchley is just great. And if you want to live in the countryside, try just north of High Barnet. You can get the tube into work, all overground, just a few stops to North Finchley. Also the overground train goes to nearby Mill Hill, so you should look north of that line to find places where you could commute via train.

Commuting via car is really attractive in countries where there is no alternative. In the UK the trains are pretty good. The overground line can get crowded but you'll only be going as far as north north London so it may not be a problem at all.

The other thing is that you'll find the best schools in places where lots of Londoners commute from anyway, and this will typically be by public transport.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:40 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this thread and it made me all homesick! I was born in Finchley, lived in Whetstone and went to school in Barnet. My parents live in Stevenage now which is very nice, and anywhere round there is nice to live. Stevenage, St. Albans, Hadley Wood, Welwyn, Radlet...all nice. Finchley itself is lovely but probably a bit pricy now. I miss it
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Just saw this thread and it made me all homesick! I was born in Finchley, lived in Whetstone and went to school in Barnet. My parents live in Stevenage now which is very nice, and anywhere round there is nice to live. Stevenage, St. Albans, Hadley Wood, Welwyn, Radlet...all nice. Finchley itself is lovely but probably a bit pricy now. I miss it

Strange how different things evoke different feelings for different ppl!

When I first saw this thread, I remembered commuting to London, and how it's soo choka all the time Everyone is miserable and glum

Also, it reminded me of whenever I drove around North London, it tooks hours to get to anywhere and the parking was absolute horror... I guess it must be the same still..

Living in those areas is something I never experienced, but we have families and friends do, and I have to say, they seem to be very happy where they are...
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt make me homesick as such but has got me thinking. I was raised in Hatfield and my parents still live in Welwyn Garden City. Not sure where i would recommend now to be honest. Got family in Bricket Wood which is inbetween Watford and St Albans - is lovely there but on the pricy side!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:19 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Didnt make me homesick as such but has got me thinking. I was raised in Hatfield and my parents still live in Welwyn Garden City. Not sure where i would recommend now to be honest. Got family in Bricket Wood which is inbetween Watford and St Albans - is lovely there but on the pricy side!
Did you ever get a kebab from the Silver Jubilee on Potter's Bar High Street? Yummy.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Did you ever get a kebab from the Silver Jubilee on Potter's Bar High Street? Yummy.
Not that i can remember but do remember Potters Bar fondly. One of my best friends is living there now. Her mum part owns the carpet/curtain shop on the way in (from hatfield side) Cant remember name of place now High place with houses above the shops
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:28 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Not that i can remember but do remember Potters Bar fondly. One of my best friends is living there now. Her mum part owns the carpet/curtain shop on the way in (from hatfield side) Cant remember name of place now High place with houses above the shops
My Husband hails from Essendon, whenever visiting his parents we would decline supper and get a kebab
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

My Husband hails from Essendon, whenever visiting his parents we would decline supper and get a kebab
I know Essendon well. You know the Tate family??
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:59 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Radlet...all nice.
I once played cricket in Radlet. It had been about 28c, there wasnt a cloud in the sky and all i could see from behind the wickets was rolling green trees and small hills towards a church spire sticking out in the distance. Its always stuck with me.

And i hit 40 not out and took one hell of a catch
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:50 pm

I'll ask OH when he gets home from work - it would be to weird if you knew each other
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

As a guide price only, we own a 3 bed semi in Rickmansworth, a little town next to Watford in Hertfordshire, and if prices stay the same we will be putting it on the market for about 365K (POUND, my keyboard has no pound sign!!) in the new year when the tenancy runs out.

I was back in the Uk for a visit in April and popped in to see the local estate agent who knows my house well and he said 365K was about the right asking price. Its a standard 3 bed semi although very modernised.

Hope this helps as as guide price - in terms of rentals we are currently renting it out at 1200 a month (POUND)
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:48 am

I'll ask OH when he gets home from work - it would be to weird if you knew each other
He doesn't no