Commutes to North London

Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Commutes to North London

Had a telephone interview on Friday evening which went very well and resulted in me being offered the job starting in early September.

The job will be based in North Finchley. I was wondering if anybody had any experience of areas that are within a reasonable commuting distance to Finchley. I would be prepared to drive up to 1 - 1.5 hours as this is what I do now. My initial research has led me to look no further north than areas such as Milton Keynes, Bedford, Aylesbury and High Wycombe.

Anybody know much about these areas i.e. housing, schools, lifestyle, transport, amenities etc.

Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:23 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commutes to North London

No idea about the area but congrats on the new job
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. We used to live in High Barnet and I really liked it there but we did leave in 1994. Milton Keynes sounds a really long way?
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks.

Milton Keynes to North Finchley 43 - 49 mile drive depending on which route you take.

To be fair I'd drive a 200 mile commute if it meant returning to the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:30 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I used to live in Finchley and Whetstone...driving into North London is chocka block along the High Street from Barnet.it would take a good 30 or 40 mins.

The better route I would take is along the A1 and cut through Totteridge ' easy from the turn off a South Mimms.

To there from Milton Keynes would take about another 40mins depending on traffic.

So I would look at places along the A1 or M1.

I wouldn´t be keen to live in Milton Keynes myself..but there are lots of other nicer towns nearby. I have only visited Aylesbury but it looked very nice when I been. So don´t know much about it.

Have you considered other places like Potters Bar or Barnet very easy to get into North London with good schools. Or areas around St Albans although property is expensive.

You can check also check upmystreet.com for info about areas such as schools etc.

PS Congratulations on getting a job...
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the job, I was going to also suggest St Albans only because it is the only north london area I know, my sister lived there and i thought it was very nice area, her children went to school there and were very happy.
Where are you moiving home from?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Lestagirl,

We're going back to the UK from Brisbane.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

We live in Pinner which is between Finchly and Watford.
Commuting from MK into Finch would take you a bit longer then 1 1/2 because of the motorway building site. I would recommend Hemel Hempstead, Kings Langley, Abbots Langley, Chorleywood, Watford, Bushey, Rickmansworth..but all not cheap..but any further then Hemel I would not go. Hemel is actually not bad in house prices...Boxmoor in Hemel is very nice and has a really village feel to it..right at the canal and close to town center and has a very good school also good for getting quik onto the A41.

Saying all that..I would look into hemel/Boxmoor.. It has it all, modern city centre, good school, nice area, taking bike tours along the canal, good for commuting..

We did all this research our self couple of years ago when we wanted to move out...and came to the conclusion that this was perfect...but plans changed and we will move to Somerset now.

Last edited by eurotramp; Jun 23rd 2010 at 11:27 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 4:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a little to far but we moved from Biggleswade along the A1, its a lovely little market town (or it was) with a train link into Kings Cross which may or may not be handy. Although think, Baldock, Letchworth and Royston all with direct trains into London.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
Had a telephone interview on Friday evening which went very well and resulted in me being offered the job starting in early September.

The job will be based in North Finchley. I was wondering if anybody had any experience of areas that are within a reasonable commuting distance to Finchley. I would be prepared to drive up to 1 - 1.5 hours as this is what I do now. My initial research has led me to look no further north than areas such as Milton Keynes, Bedford, Aylesbury and High Wycombe.

Anybody know much about these areas i.e. housing, schools, lifestyle, transport, amenities etc.

Thanks

Well done mate, and wish u all the best in the new job.

Ok, I can understand why you want to stay close to the Finchly area, but maybe someone here will contradict me with valid reasonings, have you looked at options like Maidenhead or Slough...I don't think the journey would be an issue and from family point of view (assuming you have a family), the locality to windsor great park, legoland etc.. is so great for summer outings etc..

Also, Reading isn't too far and seems always to enjoy good job market (though haven;t been to UK in the last 2 years so don;t take my words with a pinch of salt)

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
We live in Pinner which is between Finchly and Watford.
Commuting from MK into Finch would take you a bit longer then 1 1/2 because of the motorway building site. I would recommend Hemel Hempstead, Kings Langley, Abbots Langley, Chorleywood, Watford, Bushey, Rickmansworth..but all not cheap..but any further then Hemel I would not go. Hemel is actually not bad in house prices...Boxmoor in Hemel is very nice and has a really village feel to it..right at the canal and close to town center and has a very good school also good for getting quik onto the A41.

Saying all that..I would look into hemel/Boxmoor.. It has it all, modern city centre, good school, nice area, taking bike tours along the canal, good for commuting..

We did all this research our self couple of years ago when we wanted to move out...and came to the conclusion that this was perfect...but plans changed and we will move to Somerset now.

but plans changed and we will move to Somerset now.

That must have been an easy decision?
Old Jun 26th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Syedney

but plans changed and we will move to Somerset now.

That must have been an easy decision?

We had a choice between Belgium near Brussels, Virginia Beach/USA or Somerset and I did choose Somerset..even Hubby was pushing towards the USA..but that was a to big move for me...I had enough of all this moving between country's. We also have two teenagers.
So in that way it was a difficult decision.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eurotramp
We had a choice between Belgium near Brussels, Virginia Beach/USA or Somerset and I did choose Somerset..even Hubby was pushing towards the USA..but that was a to big move for me...I had enough of all this moving between country's. We also have two teenagers.
So in that way it was a difficult decision.
.I had enough of all this moving between country's

I guess it comes to a point when getting back to the roots makes more sense than any other adventure...

Though you may have missed out there: Belgium chocolates!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Syedney
.I had enough of all this moving between country's

I guess it comes to a point when getting back to the roots makes more sense than any other adventure...

Though you may have missed out there: Belgium chocolates!
First..I'm German and second we already did live for 4 years in Belgium and I hated every minute of it and third I just did hit 50 and I need now my own 4 walls and some were to make friends and all of it.
The US just has nothing for we to offer, except the big houses, the nice weather and the beach...but that can mean nothing if you don't feel home.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissystevo

Thanks
hello - i live currently in north london and hope early next year to be living in north california! I lived very near north finchley and its an ok area to live- expensive tho as is all of north west london. I feel milton keynes is a bit far for a daily commute - the M1 from junction 10 is at a standstill. Maybe try areas such as Radlett- v nice but a bit expensive - Watford maybe...or Beaconsfield..or St Albans is v nice....driving into north finchley would be hard - better perhaps to find a tube and commute in...good luck to you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.