Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Click.....I have cracked why.

Click.....I have cracked why.

Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:32 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Click.....I have cracked why.

Originally Posted by Major Edmund Lockyer
Yes Im reading it, cant help feel human beings bring on racism, division and apartied, been going on for thousands of years why stop now.

All fuelled by greed and selfishness, and religion.

Personally I may be born english british what ever you call it, but hoping I die something else, I aint proud of this empire, country island what ever, its been disassemmbled, destroyed where no one in the English land has an identity. If you look at history we were all governened by spanish and french at one time.

as for the Union Jack yes I am embarrased, over the past years its a symbol of hooliganism im not afraid to say.

As for the Scottish/Welsh/Irish theme, them guys have been planning this role reversal for years, and Mr Brown is certainly accelerating it.
Sounds like a load of English media rhetoric to me .What have the english people done to you that makes you want to turn on your own .
Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:38 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I wonder if anyone else has read this thread and thought how ridiculous us humans can be at times?

Starts off with the celtic chip, descends to the north south divide chip. Shall i narrow it down again to a sourtherner who DOESNT think they are better than anyone else, grew up in a poor working class family, lived in a rough street and can i now say how much i hated the kids from the posh houses in the next suburb? Or shall we narrow it down further to the next street? Or even the house at the bottom of the same street with a new car on the drive?

PMSL...
My thinking was very much along those lines Flea, that's why I could not be ar*ed to bother replying. It's all so pointless and in my humble opinion, pathetic at best.

Yes Im reading it, cant help feel human beings bring on racism, division and apartied, been going on for thousands of years why stop now.

All fuelled by greed and selfishness, and religion.

Personally I may be born english british what ever you call it, but hoping I die something else, I aint proud of this empire, country island what ever, its been disassemmbled, destroyed where no one in the English land has an identity. If you look at history we were all governened by spanish and french at one time.

as for the Union Jack yes I am embarrased, over the past years its a symbol of hooliganism im not afraid to say.

As for the Scottish/Welsh/Irish theme, them guys have been planning this role reversal for years, and Mr Brown is certainly accelerating it.
Are you for real?
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:26 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
My thinking was very much along those lines Flea, that's why I could not be ar*ed to bother replying. It's all so pointless and in my humble opinion, pathetic at best.

Are you for real?
Anyway to gt this thread back on track, I have been back in the UK for 2 months now and loving every minute of it (only downer is that I can't afford to buy a house which I thought would really upset me but I actually don't mind waiting) I was really shocked at myself enjoying the return, no one was more churned up than me about am I doing the right thing? with taking my 2 small children from the states after 6 years and leaving all my materials gains behind.
I have found an undercurrent of people who are just really happy to be in England (no not immigrants) I have had more understanding and people relaying tales of someone who moved out to australia and hated it than what are you doing back? which I didn't expect. It's just my experience of course but I think the ones that are dissatisfied are just louder than the quietly happy ones so they are the ones that are heard. As for myself whenever I hear someone say they'd like to move out to Australia or somewhere (Seems every bugger wants to go to Australia) I find I don't really speak up much about missing the UK (not that I was in Oz but oh well) because I didn't want to hear it before I moved away.
By the same token I recived lots of reassurance that England was going to be fine on moving back but I didn't think it would apply to me, esp. after visiting 2 years ago and wanting to head back to the states ASAP, but I am loving it, it was all ok and I feel like I made myself ill over nothing.

I've blathered on alot but just as a side note, checking out Americans that have moved to the UK they are on the whole much happier and I think that may be due to the fact that they are told all countries beside the states are going to be backward and a bit crap basically. When they get there they are pleasantly suprised. With us Brits we are told anyway is better than the Uk so our culture shock is all downhill from the start.
I think I stayed longer than I should of because I felt going back to England would be failing and admitting defeat- that everyone in England would think I'd love that opportunity you are mad to return etc, but I've found much more understanding and awareness than I thought.
It's lovely. Just my thoughts cheers!

Last edited by Hayley; Jan 5th 2008 at 10:31 am.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:36 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Anyway to gt this thread back on track, I have been back in the UK for 2 months now and loving every minute of it (only downer is that I can't afford to buy a house which I thought would really upset me but I actually don't mind waiting) I was really shocked at myself enjoying the return, no one was more churned up than me about am I doing the right thing? with taking my 2 small children from the states after 6 years and leaving all my materials gains behind.
I have found an undercurrent of people who are just really happy to be in England (no not immigrants) I have had more understanding and people relaying tales of someone who moved out to australia and hated it than what are you doing back? which I didn't expect. It's just my experience of course but I think the ones that are dissatisfied are just louder than the quietly happy ones so they are the ones that are heard. As for myself whenever I hear someone say they'd like to move out to Australia or somewhere (Seems every bugger wants to go to Australia) I find I don't really speak up much about missing the UK (not that I was in Oz but oh well) because I didn't want to hear it before I moved away.
By the same token I recived lots of reassurance that England was going to be fine on moving back but I didn't think it would apply to me, esp. after visiting 2 years ago and wanting to head back to the states ASAP, but I am loving it, it was all ok and I feel like I made myself ill over nothing.

I've blathered on alot but just as a side note, checking out Americans that have moved to the UK they are on the whole much happier and I think that may be due to the fact that they are told all countries beside the states are going to be backward and a bit crap basically. When they get there they are pleasantly suprised. With us Brits we are told anyway is better than the Uk so our culture shock is all downhill from the start.
I think I stayed longer than I should of because I felt going back to England would be failing and admitting defeat- that everyone in England would think I'd love that opportunity you are mad to return etc, but I've found much more understanding and awareness than I thought.
It's lovely. Just my thoughts cheers!
Hello Hayley, are you in Northants by any chance? I think I remember when you first left USA?

EDIT. Just seen that you are and I do remember when you posted after your return. It's nice to hear you are still content with your decision. I know parts of Northants well as my elder brother lives in Weston Favell, a lovely village near the town centre. We've spent many a w/e there. Have you got your own place yet?

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Jan 5th 2008 at 10:39 am.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:07 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Hello Hayley, are you in Northants by any chance? I think I remember when you first left USA?

EDIT. Just seen that you are and I do remember when you posted after your return. It's nice to hear you are still content with your decision. I know parts of Northants well as my elder brother lives in Weston Favell, a lovely village near the town centre. We've spent many a w/e there. Have you got your own place yet?
We have a rental in Rushden now at 475 a month. It a 3 bedroom victorian with the orginal fireplaces and mod cons like 2 bathrooms and radiators and double glazing really lucked out, hubs starts his new job on tuesday and we just bought a car (only a 94 automatic omega for 500 quid but we are happy)
We miss the village life and are saving to purchase in Wollaston or Bozeat, Rushden is not ideal for us(we wouldn't buy here) but we are optomistic and still loving being back. I think the difference is the attitude I have, it's like I am a learned optimist- I try not to dwell on the negatives as there were plenty in the US. I am putting myself out there to make friends (and it's working) and joining groups ( I am in a play in feb) which I never really did before, and think because of it people are more friendly and open I am attracting more postive people in return (I think that touchly feely shiny happy have a nice day culture in the US has rubbed off LOL)
But it's motivation too, If I'd stayed in the US I didn't have the desire to put myself out there and intergrate totally so it wouldn't have worked, I only see that now of course, how unhappy I really was. I feel like I was in denial about alot of my feelings and now I've finally confronted them and it's all ok. Hard to explain- hope this makes sense.

I see myself in alot of posts on this forum and I really want to help (which is why I still come on every now and then) but I don't really now how to, I never felt reassured totally by anything I read.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:59 am
Banned

geisterbahn will become famous soon enoughgeisterbahn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thydney
Where the hell are they having more sex?
try MARS ! WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY ARE DOING IN THE AIRBRUSHED OUT CITIES. LISTENING TO DAVID BOWIE.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Typical English attitude. Why would you pay for it through your taxes when you live in Montreal?
Actually my business is in the UK so I do end up paying most of my taxes there!!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotch03
British? I think this is part of the issue. Being Scottish I have never felt British in fact I have always felt that British was a colonial term. Maybe if the English could take pride in England and English heritage then maybe that would be a step in the right direction.

The Welsh and Irish do this, just like the Scots and I notice that the English seem to refer to being British more than being English. Why is this? Does it even matter?

Oh, well, I'm off to eat haggis!
Everyone else has answered this eloquently enough for me already.

But if I write "English", I'm damned by one person, and if I write "British", I'm damned by another person !

I am English but inclusively call myself British - Cape Blue summed it up well.
I think we could all be more inclusive of our small gathering of countries and stick up for all of them equally - we should feel like a united kingdom. Yes, you should be proud to be Scottish, but nowadays, if everyone could fly a metaphorical British flag from all corners of our isles, perhaps some pride in our nation could swell nicely It ain't paradise, but it hasn't gone to the dogs either ....
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:11 pm
Banned

Major Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant futureMajor Edmund Lockyer has a brilliant future

appears anyone moving back to the Uk has prove their origin and alliance to the realm.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Major Edmund Lockyer;5742294]

Personally I may be born english british what ever you call it, but hoping I die something else, I aint proud of this empire, country island what ever,

Based on your above comments, why are you bothering to have a house there and spend any time there? As for hoping to die as something else. Please tell, what nationality is going to be lucky enough to have you.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:17 am
'In limboland'

[QUOTE=manc1;5745288]

Personally I may be born english british what ever you call it, but hoping I die something else, I aint proud of this empire, country island what ever,

Based on your above comments, why are you bothering to have a house there and spend any time there? As for hoping to die as something else. Please tell, what nationality is going to be lucky enough to have you.
...or unlucky.

Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;5745329]
Originally Posted by manc1

Lol spot on.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 1:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
The thing I really noticed when I was back in the UK ....was that there is this "Country has gone to the Dogs!" attitude.

It is almost an infectious attitude in the UK, and I do think it will get worse.
I've been in Canada for over three years now. There's a forum in Moncton where many of the posters say the same things...but about Canada. Perhaps everyone thinks the same about their own countries.

Many dispute whether things have gone to the dogs in the UK. Crime stats suggest not. It may well be true that crime has gone down or got no worse. But am I wrong to think that the nature of some crimes is worse?

I'm thinking of despicable assaults like those men beating up a disabled person peeing on the victim and filming it on a mobile phone. The guy actually had to clear space on the phone to be able to do it so it wasn't like a quick button push.

The callousness of such an assault doesn't show up on stats. That's the kind of thing that maybe makes people think things have got worse in the UK.

As for the British/English issue, I'm English...but my first few passports were clearly marked British and my nationality was officially British. So when asked for my Nationality or Citizenship by an official or an official document, I simply give the official answer.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 12th 2008 at 1:39 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've been in Canada for over three years now. There's a forum in Moncton where many of the posters say the same things...but about Canada. Perhaps everyone thinks the same about their own countries.

Many dispute whether things have gone to the dogs in the UK. Crime stats suggest not. It may well be true that crime has gone down or got no worse. But am I wrong to think that the nature of some crimes is worse?

I'm thinking of despicable assaults like those men beating up a disabled person peeing on the victim and filming it on a mobile phone. The guy actually had to clear space on the phone to be able to do it so it wasn't like a quick button push.

The callousness of such an assault doesn't show up on stats. That's the kind of thing that maybe makes people think things have got worse in the UK.

As for the British/English issue, I'm English...but my first few passports were clearly marked British and my nationality was officially British. So when asked for my Nationality or Citizenship by an official or an official document, I simply give the official answer.
Sadly this callousness has spread everywhere, Canada not excluded.

In montreal almost every week now there are "home invasions" one person was shot dead in their own home last year, thankfully that gang was caught but only last week an elderly man and his son were beaten up and robbed again in the supposed security of their own home.

The other recent one springing to mind was the 85 year old nun beaten to death in the homeless shelter for few dollars drug money.

There isn't any escape from it
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I've been reading all of the comments on this thread with interest and found that I would answer the same way. Inserting Scottish for the English bit of course, seeing I'm Scottish.

We don't all see the English as our enemies, what's the point. We are all British and should be proud of it. But, I am first and foremost proud to be Scottish, then British. Nothing wrong with that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.