Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

To clean or not to clean, that is the question

To clean or not to clean, that is the question

Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To clean or not to clean, that is the question

Originally Posted by Donna Allan
Hi la-chica-irlandesa
At least I stuck it out for a week so I don't feel so bad. Well as one door closes another one opens. I got a call earlier from a recruitment agency that I had registered with and they have just had a job come in for an admin person in a design company. My previous job in South Africa was managing a small design studio so this job would suit me down to a T. It's also part-time (9-1) and the salary is £14k which is fantastic.
Congratulations!!

Sounds great. I'd love to go part time, but in my field it's more all or nothing.

Anyway hope you have a wonderful weekend and nail that job on Monday.

Good luck.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

I feel like a giant weight has been lifted of my shoulders today although my body feels like it has been pounded by that weight first. Had a call back from the recruitment agency and the company is interested in my CV. They did however want to know how many GCSE's I had but having been educated in South Africa where they don't work on GCSE's I wasn't able to tell them. I didn't finish school in SA either. Let's hope that this doesn't deter them from giving me an interview were I can give it my best shot to impress them. Hell I've left school 22 years ago anyway, would I still remember what I was taught then anyway....
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:05 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

I feel like a giant weight has been lifted of my shoulders today although my body feels like it has been pounded by that weight first. Had a call back from the recruitment agency and the company is interested in my CV. They did however want to know how many GCSE's I had but having been educated in South Africa where they don't work on GCSE's I wasn't able to tell them. I didn't finish school in SA either. Let's hope that this doesn't deter them from giving me an interview were I can give it my best shot to impress them. Hell I've left school 22 years ago anyway, would I still remember what I was taught then anyway....
Good luck, Donna.

Out of curiousity - is the 14K pro rata - i.e. 7K in your part time case, which would mean 14K as a full time person? Or would it be 28K full time?

Just trying to get an idea of Belfast salaries as a recruitment agent for solicitors recently suggested the salary was going to be around 25K - which seems low if admin jobs are going at the higher rate suggested above. I'd just go for an admin job then and have a nice life!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

Hi gotoronto, it's 14K for a 25 hours a week which to me is a really good salary as quite a few of the jobs I came across were offering the minimum wage of £5.52 an hour which is like paying peanuts to a monkey.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:48 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Hi gotoronto, it's 14K for a 25 hours a week which to me is a really good salary as quite a few of the jobs I came across were offering the minimum wage of £5.52 an hour which is like paying peanuts to a monkey.
Wow! I am impressed. So it's slightly more in terms of hours than part time, but still. Let us know what happens. Good luck again!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

For those of you who were interested, I was not successful in getting the part time job which was paying 14K. The recruitment agency said it was through no fault of mine as they reckon I "interview well", whatever that means, they just found someone who fitted into the mould they were looking for. So it's been back to the drawing board and with Xmas drawing nearer and my son's list getting longer I've decided to look now go for full time time work. Had to do an aptitude test on Tuesday for a position I applied for at one of the hospitals (what fun) and should be getting the results within the next couple of days and I also have an interview on tomorrow. So the job hunting continues.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

la-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nice

hi Donna, sorry to hear that it didnt work out.
Although these things often happen for a reason, so no doubt your dream job is around the corner!!!
good luck with the interviews
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi la-chica-irlandesa
Thought I'd let you know that I've eventually found a job, Yippee..... It's admin work at the National Trust for 6 months. At least I can now look forward to a decent Xmas.
Cheers for now
Donna
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi la-chica-irlandesa
Thought I'd let you know that I've eventually found a job, Yippee..... It's admin work at the National Trust for 6 months. At least I can now look forward to a decent Xmas.
Cheers for now
Donna
Well done Donna hope you can relax now and plan a lovely Christmas
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Elaine B
Yes, I can buy a turkey now and not a skinny little chicken....
Donna
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

la-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nice

Congratulations Donna,
I am happy for you!!

I hope you can now have a happy and worry free xmas.

Are you enjoying being at home still?
Are you all adjusting well? I remember your husband is South African, how is Northern Ireland treating him, very well I hope!!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Hi la-chica-irlandesa
I did enjoy being at home for the first 4 months or so but then started to find that I was becoming a bit of a recluse. I think more often than not a wife/mother never really gets the recognition she deserves for what she does in and around the house and we all need feel needed. At least when you work, even if you don't get that occasional pat on the back you at least get paid for doing it.
I still love being back "home" and we've just passed the 6 month mark. I booked OH's ticket back home for a visit to SA in Feb/Mar as he wants to go back for his mom's birthday. He's going on his own for two reasons; we can't afford three tickets and I'm not ready/interested in going back just yet. He seems pretty much settled in and enjoying his job at the call centre cos they are a nice bunch of people he works with which always helps.
Donna
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi Donna,
I think many women feel that way when they are SAHM/Housewife and probably alot of us who work too!!!

It is good to hear you are still there and not regretting your decision to move back, also that the job is going well for your OH.
That for me is one of my biggest worries, how my OH will adjust to life in NI, but I am sure it will be fine, he will at least have my family who all love him.
We are already teaching him all the funny sayings and expressions in NI, so hopefully that will prepare him a little!!

good luck again for any upcoming interviews, and keep us posted