Claiming child benefit

Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Claiming child benefit

My wife who left the UK in April 08 to join me in the UAE has returned to the UK to have our first kid due April. Job security was the reason for the return as I may be going back myself shortly
She has supposedly been told that she cannot claim child benefit as she has been living out of the country
Surely this cant be right can it ?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming child benefit

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
My wife who left the UK in April 08 to join me in the UAE has returned to the UK to have our first kid due April. Job security was the reason for the return as I may be going back myself shortly
She has supposedly been told that she cannot claim child benefit as she has been living out of the country
Surely this cant be right can it ?
Unless she's given up residency in the UAE and is now a resident of the UK...she's not entitled to NHS treatment or child benefit. If she is now a UK resident I can't see why she cannot claim child benefit. Who told her this? Is your wife British?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

I am british and my son was born in spain last march, we moved back to the UK last november and the first thing i did was fill in my child benefit forms, it took a good 3 months for the money to come through as they had to check out his spanish birth certificate etc etc but then we got it all and it was all backdated! If your wife is having the baby in the UK it will be even easier as all she needs to do is register the baby when it is born and the child benefit will pay out automatically. However, if she then leaves the UK she cannot continue to claim.....
Old Mar 6th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips folks
I will ask her to revisit this issue.
My wife is British and has paid NI etc but currently has a UAE residency visa stamped in her passport
She will however be staying in the UK

Thanks again
Tock
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips folks
I will ask her to revisit this issue.
My wife is British and has paid NI etc but currently has a UAE residency visa stamped in her passport
She will however be staying in the UK

Thanks again
Tock
Doesn't she have to establish UK residency to have free NHS care and delivery?
Once she does that she should be able to apply for Child benefit just like anyone else after the baby is born.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

As per the Swaddling decision, UK citizens who return to the UK to reside are considered resident from day 1 and are therefore entitled to claim benefits and use NHS services.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

I thought everyone and his uncle could claim child benefit in the UK and everything else for that matter. From what I have read on here that is why a lot of people come back to the UK because they can claim, claim, claim!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
As per the Swaddling decision, UK citizens who return to the UK to reside are considered resident from day 1 and are therefore entitled to claim benefits and use NHS services.
True. But it's not always straightforward. Or shall we say the presentation of the circumstances may not come across as straightforward.

From the original post: My wife has returned to the UK to have our first kid due April. Job security was the reason for the return as I may be going back myself shortly..... (my emphasis.)

Put forward like this it actually appears the wife may have only returned to the UK for the birth. Also note that the OP returning to the UK is only a maybe. Maybe she will rejoin him and continue residency out of the UK having returned for a temporary period.

So much depends on what impression is given to those responsible for making the decisions. and what they may know about someone that we (only getting one side of things) do not. This is a general comment and not specific to what happened to Tockalosh.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 7th 2009 at 4:07 am.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok now I think I fully understand the position after the last posts.
To clarify things:
My wife went back at 34 weeks pregnancy because the threat of redundancy was high with many of my colleagues being terminated. To be stuck here with no medical insurance seemed an unacceptable risk so she returned to her parents in the UK.
If I also get the boot then I will permanently return to the UK and so I asked her to find out about child benefit.
If I keep my position then she will fly out here 4 weeks after the birth and we will wish to claim nothing
Hope that clarifies things and thanks for all the contributions folks, very helpful
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:42 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Ok now I think I fully understand the position after the last posts.
To clarify things:
My wife went back at 34 weeks pregnancy because the threat of redundancy was high with many of my colleagues being terminated. To be stuck here with no medical insurance seemed an unacceptable risk so she returned to her parents in the UK.
If I also get the boot then I will permanently return to the UK and so I asked her to find out about child benefit.
If I keep my position then she will fly out here 4 weeks after the birth and we will wish to claim nothing
Hope that clarifies things and thanks for all the contributions folks, very helpful
If your Job is safe, won't the baby need a visa to come back to whatever country you are in, you don't say where you are.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am in the UAE so his residency can be applied for when the pikinin arrives, if he arrives here