Reload this Page >

Civil partners, returning to UK

Wikiposts

Civil partners, returning to UK

Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

clivechafer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Civil partners, returning to UK

I have been in the US for 30 years and am returning to the UK this year with my partner and infant son. My partner and I are not married, but are registered domestic partners in our city. Does anyone have any experience of entering the UK as civil partners and trying to get a work permit for such a partner? (I am a UK citizen, she's US.) We have no intention of marrying, but don't know how much trouble this will cause us. We read on the ukinusa website that civil partners are recognized, but you need to show evidence of having cohabited for at least 2 years. We've been together for longer than that, but have kept everything separate.

Also, does anyone know if it's safe to arrive on a one-way ticket, or is it better to buy a round trip, even if we don't know when we will use the return portion? I have heard of Americans arriving on one-way tickets being hassled and even turned around at Heathrow.

I'm appealing for info here since it is no longer possible to submit such a query to an actual humanoid in the embassy or consulates here in the US. Many thanks for any help or guidance you can give, or experience you can share.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:07 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Civil partners, returning to UK

You can even take in a partner if you are gay (unlike the US!). Peter Mandelson (now Lord Mandelson - can't stand the slimy toad) is/was a senior govt. minister is gay and brought his Brazilian lover to reside in the UK.

No idea about one-way flights vs round trip ones. Best place to look is on the forums at http://www.uk-yankee.com

You will find loads of info here (or can post your own query):

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=17.0

Hope this helps!