Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:06 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

Originally Posted by Titchski
Stone facing?

Get thee to Number 9 Coronation Street my good man!

http://www.corrie.net/profiles/places/9.gif
That would depress me emotions
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:01 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Thank you Jules for that feed back that is exactly what I was referring to. I am curious if the southern UK townships are more ethnically diverse in your opinion?

I also agree with you that there are towns/cities in the Deep south(usa) which are still quite racist in America.Would not want to live in any of them but of course I've never allowed a few nutters from stopping me from having a good time while visiting.

This info could be particular to these instances but I have heard from a few businessman of color who took short term(24 month) contracts in Scotland, that they did experience racial discrimination.

BTW,they were Brits not Americans so there wasn't any anti Yank attitudes involved.One of those friends actually encountered physical abuse and certain words were use that left no doubt why the attack occurred.Wonder if these were isolated incidents pertaining to Scotland.

In any case that is only one of many factors to do my homework about.This move is going to be incredible I can feel it.
Whether you are in the south, midlands or north I see no difference in ethnic diversity in general, as long as you are within reach of a major city or sizeable urban area, the further you go away from a large urban area the more conservative the people will be...........but this is the same anywhere. London of course will give you every nationality on earth and the Midlands is probably one of the most densely populated and ethnically diverse locations in Europe. A good point that somebody mentioned above is that certain large cities like Birmingham and Manchester etc have satellite cities like Leicester, Coventry and Oldham etc that have certain ethnic minorities principally asian (Hindu,Sikh and muslim) that in some cases will make up a majority population in these cities.

I would recommend that you stay away from the South West, East Anglia, Wales and Scotland in general.............I am not saying the people there are racist but you are probably going to feel less comfortable there, I am not talking about the major cities in these areas like Cardiff or Glasgow but just in general. You would be better of living in the urban areas of the South East (Greater London) Midlands (Birmingham etc) North (Manchester etc) It`s like if somebody was going to the states, urban areas such as New York, Chicago and LA would give somebody equal diversity there as well, whereas states like Alabama and Mississipi far less so.

By the way if you are coming from Orlando you are going to get a shock with the weather Rainy UK is famous across Europe
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend that you stay away from the South West,
I'm from Somerset and my wife is Korean, and when we visit home my wife is made to feel very welcome indeed and has experienced no racism whatsoever. Not even a hint of (at least not in front of us). She did however comment that she missed the diversity, and seeing another Asian (Far East) face was cause for some excitement. But she also said that when we were going to settle in Aldershot in 06.

She said she doesn't need to be on the doorstep of the Koreans etc, but would like fairly easy access to them etc. Given our type of work that kind of fits in with our plan anyway. But we have spent a lot of time in the south west and did not have any problems at all.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:57 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Whether you are in the south, midlands or north I see no difference in ethnic diversity in general, as long as you are within reach of a major city or sizeable urban area, the further you go away from a large urban area the more conservative the people will be...........but this is the same anywhere. London of course will give you every nationality on earth and the Midlands is probably one of the most densely populated and ethnically diverse locations in Europe. A good point that somebody mentioned above is that certain large cities like Birmingham and Manchester etc have satellite cities like Leicester, Coventry and Oldham etc that have certain ethnic minorities principally asian (Hindu,Sikh and muslim) that in some cases will make up a majority population in these cities.

I would recommend that you stay away from the South West, East Anglia, Wales and Scotland in general.............I am not saying the people there are racist but you are probably going to feel less comfortable there, I am not talking about the major cities in these areas like Cardiff or Glasgow but just in general. You would be better of living in the urban areas of the South East (Greater London) Midlands (Birmingham etc) North (Manchester etc) It`s like if somebody was going to the states, urban areas such as New York, Chicago and LA would give somebody equal diversity there as well, whereas states like Alabama and Mississipi far less so.

By the way if you are coming from Orlando you are going to get a shock with the weather Rainy UK is famous across Europe
Thanks for your post.Sounds like your experience has taught you that Scotland's outskirts a distance from the large cities might not be the most progressive place a person of color could visit.To be honest I have always lived in towns that were diverse at this point that type of setting is quite natural to me.I had lived out side NewYork city in Jersey for many years and that enviroment provided some of the best exchange of life styles I have come across.

My idea place in the UK would be a home out side a large city a short drive distance into the city center but far enough away were crime rates are low people let their guard down and take the time to speak to strangers.

So you believe the townships far away from the metro areas in the UK are very conservative and people of color more than likely will be made to feel less comfortable? Has there been alot of racial incidents in Scotland?Would I see many Black people in Scotland? Or would a person of color stand out like a sore thumb in Scotland iyo? A friend of mine was attack by a bunch of drunk guys in their 30's.I like to think it was a isolated incident

BTW, yes I've seen those rainy days in London.I sometime wonder if the rain in England or in Seattle could be any greater than what Florida has shown me to date.Might be kinda close.

Thanks

Last edited by YankeemovingAbroad; Nov 19th 2008 at 5:01 am.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:19 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Oxford
Cambridge
Brighton
Edinburgh
Bath (possibly)
York

All university towns giving a degree of diversity, Brighton has the gay population and Edinburgh the capital city.

It's been a while since I last lived in Leeds and dated a girl from Bolton but neither would be a draw for me. I frequently went to Birmingham and Liverpool for work, again I wouldn't rush back. Manchester was OK.

I agree with much of Jules last post (didn't think I'd ever hear myself saying that) regarding various regions, although Edinburgh should be OK.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:31 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

[QUOTE=

I would recommend that you stay away from the South West, East Anglia, Wales and Scotland in general.............I am not saying the people there are racist but you are probably going to feel less comfortable there, I am not talking about the major cities in these areas like Cardiff or Glasgow but just in general. [/QUOTE]

You know you do have a point there.

Been to Scotland twice and both times felt like we weren't wanted there because of our English accents. Shame really, love Scotland, but the problems between both countries is still a problem. God knows why, people need to move on.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:43 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I'm from Somerset and my wife is Korean, and when we visit home my wife is made to feel very welcome indeed and has experienced no racism whatsoever. Not even a hint of (at least not in front of us). She did however comment that she missed the diversity, and seeing another Asian (Far East) face was cause for some excitement. But she also said that when we were going to settle in Aldershot in 06.

She said she doesn't need to be on the doorstep of the Koreans etc, but would like fairly easy access to them etc. Given our type of work that kind of fits in with our plan anyway. But we have spent a lot of time in the south west and did not have any problems at all.
What I am trying to say, is that the areas that I have mentioned like the sout west would not have the ethnic diversity that the OP is looking for and it is better that they investigate other parts of the UK.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:02 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Thanks for your post.Sounds like your experience has taught you that Scotland's outskirts a distance from the large cities might not be the most progressive place a person of color could visit.To be honest I have always lived in towns that were diverse at this point that type of setting is quite natural to me.I had lived out side NewYork city in Jersey for many years and that enviroment provided some of the best exchange of life styles I have come across.

My idea place in the UK would be a home out side a large city a short drive distance into the city center but far enough away were crime rates are low people let their guard down and take the time to speak to strangers.

So you believe the townships far away from the metro areas in the UK are very conservative and people of color more than likely will be made to feel less comfortable? Has there been alot of racial incidents in Scotland?Would I see many Black people in Scotland? Or would a person of color stand out like a sore thumb in Scotland iyo? A friend of mine was attack by a bunch of drunk guys in their 30's.I like to think it was a isolated incident

BTW, yes I've seen those rainy days in London.I sometime wonder if the rain in England or in Seattle could be any greater than what Florida has shown me to date.Might be kinda close.

Thanks
Your ideal place would be most satellite towns/cities of either London, Birmingham and Manchester etc as for crime rates well the more upmarket the area the less crime etc.

You mention the word "townships" I don`t think anybody uses this in the UK, the only time I have heard this is in reference to South Africa.

Its not that I am saying, that people would be less receptive of a person of colour in towns and villages far away from sizeable urban areas but with majority white populations in many of these places, you yourself may not feel so comfortable.

As for racial incidents in Scotland etc and their attitudes to people of colour well maybe somebody from Scotland would be better off answering that.

When I lived in the UK, I personally found that both the Scots and the Welsh to be the most friendliest toward me when I was there, I also went to some pretty remote places as well, but then again I am not a person of colour.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
What I am trying to say, is that the areas that I have mentioned like the sout west would not have the ethnic diversity that the OP is looking for and it is better that they investigate other parts of the UK.

Agreed. Mind you, three pints of scrumpy down your neck and you see people of all colours.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:06 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Oxford
Cambridge
Brighton
Edinburgh
Bath (possibly)
York

All university towns giving a degree of diversity, Brighton has the gay population and Edinburgh the capital city.

It's been a while since I last lived in Leeds and dated a girl from Bolton but neither would be a draw for me. I frequently went to Birmingham and Liverpool for work, again I wouldn't rush back. Manchester was OK.

I agree with much of Jules last post (didn't think I'd ever hear myself saying that) regarding various regions, although Edinburgh should be OK.
The cities that you mention are all great places and I know them all but the OP`s budget is probably not going to allow him to live there

As for agreeing with me................There is always a first time for everything. I still remember my first time like it was yesterday
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:06 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz

Been to Scotland twice and both times felt like we weren't wanted there because of our English accents. Shame really, love Scotland, but the problems between both countries is still a problem. God knows why, people need to move on.
being a scot, these comments are not too unfair tbh. lot of jocks still have an issue, but it is the minority.Edinburgh is about as diverse as it gets and should not present too many problems but will still lag behind the big smokes in England. sad but true
that said, the real scottish issue is still sectarianism.

Last edited by kporte; Nov 19th 2008 at 8:09 am.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:12 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz

I think people were receptive to me in these places Scotland and Wales etc because of my foreign accent (even though I now speak English with very little trace of one) I once mentioned on a previous thread, that I went to Wales with an English friend and in a rural pub there, they refused to speak to him in English but then saw that I wasn`t English and spoke to me no problem.............In fact I was treated like royalty there
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:25 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Which sizable cities in the UK would you recommend that has ethnic diversity(very important),culture,fun night life,pro sporting events and direct flights out to central Europe and America?Can I also spend $550,000 (dollars) and buy a nice 3bd-2bath detach house in good neighborhood? Are there gated communities in that price range? In my price range is a home purchase 30 minutes out side London not doable?Can I find everything I'm looking for in a smaller big city like Leeds,Manchester,Birmingham,Bristol,Glasgow?

Can you give me idea of the offerings(high lights) a city you recommend might have concerning the things I listed and those not listed.I'm open to the north as well as the southern region of the UK.Just don't want to be too far away from entertainment 20-30 minutes drive max.Currently living on the outskirts Orlando so a slower pace doesn't bother me as long as fun is reasonably nearby.Clubs and dinner bars are major plus!!

Thank you very much

P.S. Would you rule out Scotland because of the harsher weather and the lack of ethnic diversity and or acceptance?

Canning Town, gateway to the east.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:31 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Canning Town, gateway to the east.
Canning Town..........How depressing But saying that I find much of East London quite depressing
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I went to uni in Leeds - and yes, Leeds has a fantastic nightlife and some fantastic clubs. Great shops and a great market, great architecture and cultural pursuits and history, even before the industrial revolution. Even since I was there at uni (2000 to 2004) there have been some amazing new developments and modernising schemes, and as I have good mates down there still I love going to visit them and having a good time in the city and also the lovely pubs not too far away in the Dales.

Leeds is ace big time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.