Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

The closest comparison to a township you will get in the UK is a parish, and the comparability doesn't go an awful long way.

I'd suggest considering Bristol too.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:48 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You know you do have a point there.

Been to Scotland twice and both times felt like we weren't wanted there because of our English accents. Shame really, love Scotland, but the problems between both countries is still a problem. God knows why, people need to move on.
I wonder how it would work for an American living in Scotland.This is a bit of a process of elimination.Finding what places that would work well and what might work but with conditions.Not to mention the places that would make me wonder why I had not move there years ago because it is so terrific.I know you can't really generalize but...what is the Scottish mentality toward foreigners?

I know some Scotish still are angry at the British but does that anger include ,most foreigners including the Americans as well and what about the chocolate flavored Yank variety.Usually in countries were there are few if any Black Americans the inhabitants of that country tend to be excited to speak and greet them.Don't want to assume to much because that theory could easily be turned on its head and the reality can be the opposite.Do the Scots have a anti American attitude?

Excuse me for asking this question.Is there a skin head culture in Scotland?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I wonder how it would work for an American living in Scotland.This is a bit of a process of elimination.Finding what places that would work well and what might work but with conditions.Not to mention the places that would make me wonder why I had not move there years ago because it is so terrific.I know you can't really generalize but...what is the Scottish mentality toward foreigners?

I know some Scotish still are angry at the British but does that anger include ,most foreigners including the Americans as well and what about the chocolate flavored Yank variety.Usually in countries were there are few if any Black Americans the inhabitants of that country tend to be excited to speak and greet them.Don't want to assume to much because that theory could easily be turned on its head and the reality can be the opposite.Do the Scots have a anti American attitude?

I think you're overthinking it a bit. Good to see you doing your homework, but don't tie yourself in knots. You're putting a lot of emphasis on the American thing and personally I really don't think people care where you are from, as long as you pay your way, get involved etc.

I think a quick trip will sort out a lot of your questions. You could ask questions here to possily decide where you definitely don't want to go, which is common sense. I don't think anyone will roll the red carpet out, or give you or your partner a hard time either. I don't think you'll find a place that 100% fits your needs, but I really doubt there are many places that will be 100% misfit either. But then we could all say that.

Just come over, see what you like, see what you don't like and decide. That's half the fun.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:29 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks tr1boy for those words of wisdom.Part of the fun of making decisions for me is the research.I'm all about the questions the more I learn the better prepared I can be.

Thank you everyone for giving your experiences.It helps me to learn that the Scots still hold daggers for the Brits those are the kind of things a person would want to know I would think.I want to know those things that relate to historical differences that influences public opinion.It can help to avoid misunderstandings whilst interacting with people for the first time.I have two british friends who spent a few months in canada who got into several conflicts simply because the canadians were not use to the British type of sense of humor. I just thinks its wise to know before I leap.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:55 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks tr1boy for those words of wisdom.Part of the fun of making decisions for me is the research.I'm all about the questions the more I learn the better prepared I can be.

Thank you everyone for giving your experiences.It helps me to learn that the Scots still hold daggers for the Brits those are the kind of things a person would want to know I would think.I want to know those things that relate to historical differences that influences public opinion.It can help to avoid misunderstandings whilst interacting with people for the first time.I have two british friends who spent a few months in canada who got into several conflicts simply because the canadians were not use to the British type of sense of humor. I just thinks its wise to know before I leap.
I think i totally agree with Triboy.....Your worrying too much. If your planning on spending 6 mths at a time over here....Why dont you spend your first 6 mths by picking out afew places and spend a mth in each? Thats the only way your going to know for sure.
You seem very interested in Scotland, so why not spend some time their too....to say the Scots dont like the English their are 1000's of them living here in England....
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Oxford
Cambridge
Brighton
Edinburgh
Bath (possibly)
York

All university towns giving a degree of diversity, Brighton has the gay population and Edinburgh the capital city.

It's been a while since I last lived in Leeds and dated a girl from Bolton but neither would be a draw for me. I frequently went to Birmingham and Liverpool for work, again I wouldn't rush back. Manchester was OK.

I agree with much of Jules last post (didn't think I'd ever hear myself saying that) regarding various regions, although Edinburgh should be OK.
Jules believe that my budget of 650k-700k will not buy in a great neighborhood a very nice 3bd 2 bth house in the cities on your above list.Would most of you agree with that opinion?

Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sans
I think i totally agree with Triboy.....Your worrying too much. If your planning on spending 6 mths at a time over here....Why dont you spend your first 6 mths by picking out afew places and spend a mth in each? Thats the only way your going to know for sure.
You seem very interested in Scotland, so why not spend some time their too....to say the Scots dont like the English their are 1000's of them living here in England....
I'm sorry didn't mean to say the Scotish don't like the English.Many love the Brits like the rest of us do.Don't get me wrong not at all concern or perplexed about the issues I'm asking about.Just learning and putting questions to people who know more about the subject than I.Basicly just excited
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:24 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry didn't mean to say the Scotish don't like the English.Many love the Brits like the rest of us do.Don't get me wrong not at all concern or perplexed about the issues I'm asking about.Just learning and putting questions to people who know more about the subject than I.Basicly just excited
No need to apologize , i wasn't taking offense. Some probably dont like us Brits....they just dont mind living here either
Oh the Peak District is stunning....thats Derbyshire and also the Lake District....Lincoln is pretty special too....
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:28 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt even try hard with your figures and I came up with this one. Situated in one of the poshest areas in greenbelt Buckinghamshire. The countryside around there is stunning.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=5&tr_t=buy

If you can find this standard of property in one of the most expensive areas in the UK, you can find something anywhere. Note it also says guide price. In this financial climate, you will probably get it at a reduced price.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I didnt even try hard with your figures and I came up with this one. Situated in one of the poshest areas in greenbelt Buckinghamshire. The countryside around there is stunning.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=5&tr_t=buy

If you can find this standard of property in one of the most expensive areas in the UK, you can find something anywhere. Note it also says guide price. In this financial climate, you will probably get it at a reduced price.
There's posh and there's posh. That road isn't in the posh bit
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:46 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
There's posh and there's posh. That road isn't in the posh bit
LOL...maybe not, but if you look on the website he has a plethorer of choices, new builds and character properties!
I just clicked on the first thing i came up with in his range.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
LOL...maybe not, but if you look on the website he has a plethorer of choices, new builds and character properties!
I just clicked on the first thing i came up with in his range.
I know I reckon that's a bit pricey for that road. Wonder how long it's been on the market.? I think the days of paying a premium for a postcode are long gone.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:43 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

One tip for living in Scotland is to not confuse British with English, something which I find regularly annoys Scottish and Welsh people.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:46 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
One tip for living in Scotland is to not confuse British with English, something which I find regularly annoys Scottish and Welsh people.
But that's just the thing that is confusing, on my Scottish friends passport it says..nationality 'British'.

Whys doesn't it say she is "scottish"
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:51 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
But that's just the thing that is confusing, on my Scottish friends passport it says..nationality 'British'.

Whys doesn't it say she is "scottish"
English, Welsh and Scottish are all British. The Scots and the Welsh tend to dislike it when British and English are used interchangeably (wrongly) as it negates them. I have heard CNN call Tony Blair the English PM before. Would be a bit like mixing the US with North America and forgetting the Canadians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.