Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Christmassy feeling..............

Wikiposts

Christmassy feeling..............

Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

buggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to all
Default Re: Christmassy feeling..............

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
Nothing to do with this thread, but can I just say you name made me chuckle. I've haven't heard that expression in years.
Thats what my Mum used to call me when I was little!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buggalugs
Thats what my Mum used to call me when I was little!
Mine too.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
You are describing the feeling that OH and I were discussing earlier.... or rather discussing the lack of it. We've finally put our Christmas tree up today. I have NEVER waited until 10th December to do that but it's hard to motivate yourself when you know it's over so fast - you really are lucky to squeeze 24 hours out of it here and the whole thing get's treated like just another reason to go shopping. In the UK it was always a struggle waiting til November to put the tree up! We miss Christmas in Britain SO MUCH. The big build up, the cold, the crowds of shoppers on Oxford St, Slade on the radio til it drove you mad, Quality Street, Christmas specials on the telly, sending and receiving so many cards that said 'Merry Christmas' on them and not 'Happy Holidays', popping to the pub for a Christmas bevvy with work friends before finishing early on Christmas Eve and not seeing most of them again until 1st week of January, Christmas Roastie with all the trimmings and silly paper hats, spending the entire time with your family, even though you can't stand half of them LOL . Boxing day??? What's that?! Here, Boxing Day is the day I have to make my December car payment! Bahhhhh Humbug!
Perfect...that was spot on.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

I don't feel that "Christmas feeling" here in my part of Canada, but then, I am a miserable depressive right now so maybe I'm missing it
However, I have noticed that in the schools here, they don't put on any Christmas parties for the kids! Back home in their primary schools, they always used to have a Christmas party/disco and offered the roast turkey dinner....the build up and experience was very fun and exciting I found. I spoke to my sister today and her kids are off on a class trip to the cinema to watch Madagascar 2 and then it's back to school for a dance, crisps and pop! Here....no school parties, no disco, no Christmas dinner My daughter handed out christmas cards out to all her classmates on Monday - even to the ones who are mean so that they wouldn't feel left out......they all looked at her like she had 2 heads and she's not yet received one back....miserable lot! Hey and to top that, she went into school today only to find the card she gave to the teacher's assistant IN THE BIN!! I'll be getting to the root of that one!

I feel like I'm going through a right 'Bah-humbug phase', but I want so much to experience a proper UK Christmas now - I've had enough of soul-less Canadian Christmases
Old Dec 11th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricket1
I make a chocolate fudge cake with Baileys.
SEND ME THE RECEIPE PLEASE PLEASE SOUNDS FANTASTIC
CHEERS I.G.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:22 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
SEND ME THE RECEIPE PLEASE PLEASE SOUNDS FANTASTIC
CHEERS I.G.
If you just click on the previous page, I've posted several recipes.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

So just to add to the Christmassy feeling, it's my sons first Christmas at a UK School. So today I'm going to see him preform in the school Christmas play, they didn't do this in his school in Toronto. Lars is going to be a shepherd, he even has a line to say A few weeks ago when he came home to tell me this I asked him "so who's playing Mary and Joseph?" he looked at me in surprise and said "how did you know there's a Mary and Joseph?"
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:07 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that Cricket, she says hiccuping loudly
Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:08 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
So just to add to the Christmassy feeling, it's my sons first Christmas at a UK School. So today I'm going to see him preform in the school Christmas play, they didn't do this in his school in Toronto. Lars is going to be a shepherd, he even has a line to say A few weeks ago when he came home to tell me this I asked him "so who's playing Mary and Joseph?" he looked at me in surprise and said "how did you know there's a Mary and Joseph?"
PMSL.. Love it!!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

THANKS=CRICKET
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
You are describing the feeling that OH and I were discussing earlier.... or rather discussing the lack of it. We've finally put our Christmas tree up today. I have NEVER waited until 10th December to do that but it's hard to motivate yourself when you know it's over so fast - you really are lucky to squeeze 24 hours out of it here and the whole thing get's treated like just another reason to go shopping. In the UK it was always a struggle waiting til November to put the tree up! We miss Christmas in Britain SO MUCH. The big build up, the cold, the crowds of shoppers on Oxford St, Slade on the radio til it drove you mad, Quality Street, Christmas specials on the telly, sending and receiving so many cards that said 'Merry Christmas' on them and not 'Happy Holidays', popping to the pub for a Christmas bevvy with work friends before finishing early on Christmas Eve and not seeing most of them again until 1st week of January, Christmas Roastie with all the trimmings and silly paper hats, spending the entire time with your family, even though you can't stand half of them LOL . Boxing day??? What's that?! Here, Boxing Day is the day I have to make my December car payment! Bahhhhh Humbug!
Not that I don't appreciate the point of this thread, but in all honesty you can get all those things here (with the exception in my case of having all my family around because half of them are in Britain).

What you don't get and I do miss is the snow!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
LOL. Yes, it's obvious he didn't do a nativity play at his school in Toronto then!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
I don't feel that "Christmas feeling" here in my part of Canada, but then, I am a miserable depressive right now so maybe I'm missing it
However, I have noticed that in the schools here, they don't put on any Christmas parties for the kids! Back home in their primary schools, they always used to have a Christmas party/disco and offered the roast turkey dinner....the build up and experience was very fun and exciting I found. I spoke to my sister today and her kids are off on a class trip to the cinema to watch Madagascar 2 and then it's back to school for a dance, crisps and pop! Here....no school parties, no disco, no Christmas dinner My daughter handed out christmas cards out to all her classmates on Monday - even to the ones who are mean so that they wouldn't feel left out......they all looked at her like she had 2 heads and she's not yet received one back....miserable lot! Hey and to top that, she went into school today only to find the card she gave to the teacher's assistant IN THE BIN!! I'll be getting to the root of that one!

I feel like I'm going through a right 'Bah-humbug phase', but I want so much to experience a proper UK Christmas now - I've had enough of soul-less Canadian Christmases
It's a bit hard to imagine many things more insenstive and rude than receiving a card from a child and putting it straight in the bin. I hope you do get to the root of it!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't have a recipe as such, I make it up as I go but here's Delia Smith's chocolate fudge cake recipe

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...e,1749,RC.html

I would replace the evaporated milk with Baileys.

I also make a Baileys chocolate log but I have to warn people that it can cause a war in a household over who gets the last slice and who gets the biggest slice. Honestly, the things people will fight over.

Anyway, for the sponge, you just make a chocolate sponge batter (very best quality dark chocolate is best), pour it into a swiss roll tin. Then you whip fresh cream until stiff, add melted dark chocolate, add some icing sugar and heaps of Baileys. Spread over the sponge, then drizzle a mixture of melted dark chocolate, melted butter, and a tbs of golden syrup (all mixed together to make a ganache) over the cream so it's dark and goohey. Then roll up the swiss roll, cover in left over Baileys cream, sprinkle with grated dark chocolate & icing sugar and add holly & berries.
Throw the bathroom scales out of the window, lock the front door, unhook the telephone and close the curtains then indulge.
Must definitely try that! Does it also work if you put the bathroom scales in the cupboard rather than out of the window (I just got a new one and it's glass, so I'm worried that throwing it out of the window could make a mess I couldn't be bothered to clean up)?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
LOL. Yes, it's obvious he didn't do a nativity play at his school in Toronto then!
He hadn't even heard of Jesus or god until we moved here (of course that was our doing as well as the schools) there have been lots of fun questions over the past few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.