Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Christmassy feeling..............

Wikiposts

Christmassy feeling..............

Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:30 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christmassy feeling..............

Is it just me, or do any of you other "new" returnees feel Christmassy? I haven't felt like this for years, and here I am with me twinkly lights already up! No room for a tree, but I'm determined to find a place for me baubles.......suggestions on a postcard please. I've got the mince pies and choccies already stashed away, and am crossing the days of the calendar for when my daughter arrives to spend Christmas week with us.
Now - where's that bottle of Baileys?
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Christmassy feeling..............

Originally Posted by oldbag
Is it just me, or do any of you other "new" returnees feel Christmassy? I haven't felt like this for years, and here I am with me twinkly lights already up! No room for a tree, but I'm determined to find a place for me baubles.......suggestions on a postcard please. I've got the mince pies and choccies already stashed away, and am crossing the days of the calendar for when my daughter arrives to spend Christmas week with us.
Hmm, i love Baileys with ice

Have a very merry Christmas oldbag
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:19 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I make a chocolate fudge cake with Baileys.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

You are describing the feeling that OH and I were discussing earlier.... or rather discussing the lack of it. We've finally put our Christmas tree up today. I have NEVER waited until 10th December to do that but it's hard to motivate yourself when you know it's over so fast - you really are lucky to squeeze 24 hours out of it here and the whole thing get's treated like just another reason to go shopping. In the UK it was always a struggle waiting til November to put the tree up! We miss Christmas in Britain SO MUCH. The big build up, the cold, the crowds of shoppers on Oxford St, Slade on the radio til it drove you mad, Quality Street, Christmas specials on the telly, sending and receiving so many cards that said 'Merry Christmas' on them and not 'Happy Holidays', popping to the pub for a Christmas bevvy with work friends before finishing early on Christmas Eve and not seeing most of them again until 1st week of January, Christmas Roastie with all the trimmings and silly paper hats, spending the entire time with your family, even though you can't stand half of them LOL . Boxing day??? What's that?! Here, Boxing Day is the day I have to make my December car payment! Bahhhhh Humbug!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 2:25 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1

Wow Cricket1 - you are my new best friend! That sounds absolutely delish!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 7:21 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1

Are you willing to share the recipe, pleeeeeease?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

My little boy and I went to B&Q on Sunday and he picked out a black christmas tree and orange baubles. He was a little upset when a girl at school told him that Santa wouldn't like it but he told her green trees were just boring

Last edited by Elaine B.; Dec 11th 2008 at 2:14 am.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:49 am
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
My little boy and I went to B&Q on Sunday and he picked out a black christmas tree and orange baubles. He was a little upset when a girl at school told him that Santa wouldn't like it but he told her green trees were just boring
Hi Elaine...and I agree with your little boy! Long may he continue to be his own person.
So how's it going now you're home? I hope it's going as well for you as it is for me........have a great Christmas!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Elaine...and I agree with your little boy! Long may he continue to be his own person.
So how's it going now you're home? I hope it's going as well for you as it is for me........have a great Christmas!
Hi OB

I still love being home we can't imagine ever wanting to live in Canada again my OH was just saying how much happier we both are since moving back. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:09 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Are you willing to share the recipe, pleeeeeease?

I don't have a recipe as such, I make it up as I go but here's Delia Smith's chocolate fudge cake recipe

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...e,1749,RC.html

I would replace the evaporated milk with Baileys.

I also make a Baileys chocolate log but I have to warn people that it can cause a war in a household over who gets the last slice and who gets the biggest slice. Honestly, the things people will fight over.

Anyway, for the sponge, you just make a chocolate sponge batter (very best quality dark chocolate is best), pour it into a swiss roll tin. Then you whip fresh cream until stiff, add melted dark chocolate, add some icing sugar and heaps of Baileys. Spread over the sponge, then drizzle a mixture of melted dark chocolate, melted butter, and a tbs of golden syrup (all mixed together to make a ganache) over the cream so it's dark and goohey. Then roll up the swiss roll, cover in left over Baileys cream, sprinkle with grated dark chocolate & icing sugar and add holly & berries.
Throw the bathroom scales out of the window, lock the front door, unhook the telephone and close the curtains then indulge.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

buggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
You are describing the feeling that OH and I were discussing earlier.... or rather discussing the lack of it. We've finally put our Christmas tree up today. I have NEVER waited until 10th December to do that but it's hard to motivate yourself when you know it's over so fast - you really are lucky to squeeze 24 hours out of it here and the whole thing get's treated like just another reason to go shopping. In the UK it was always a struggle waiting til November to put the tree up! We miss Christmas in Britain SO MUCH. The big build up, the cold, the crowds of shoppers on Oxford St, Slade on the radio til it drove you mad, Quality Street, Christmas specials on the telly, sending and receiving so many cards that said 'Merry Christmas' on them and not 'Happy Holidays', popping to the pub for a Christmas bevvy with work friends before finishing early on Christmas Eve and not seeing most of them again until 1st week of January, Christmas Roastie with all the trimmings and silly paper hats, spending the entire time with your family, even though you can't stand half of them LOL . Boxing day??? What's that?! Here, Boxing Day is the day I have to make my December car payment! Bahhhhh Humbug!
Hi USA
Oh gosh, you described how I feel here in Canada.
And the telly! Well, its nowhere near half as good as back home especially at Christmas, they often put on Christmas specials weeks before the actual day and if I am quick and get my act together I try to record them so that we have something Chrismassy to watch. You have got me all nostalgic....remember Christmas morning telly back home where a celebraty (cant for the life of me remember who) used to go around Childrens hospital wards (I know its ancient but someone may remember) and used to get me all teary eyed watching the sick kids opening their gifts. And for those old enough to remember....Morcambe and Wise Christmas specials....Christmas wasnt Christmas without them! And of course....The Queens Speech.
Aaah, them were the days
Merry Christmas
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by buggalugs
Hi USA
Oh gosh, you described how I feel here in Canada.
And the telly! Well, its nowhere near half as good as back home especially at Christmas, they often put on Christmas specials weeks before the actual day and if I am quick and get my act together I try to record them so that we have something Chrismassy to watch. You have got me all nostalgic....remember Christmas morning telly back home where a celebraty (cant for the life of me remember who) used to go around Childrens hospital wards (I know its ancient but someone may remember) and used to get me all teary eyed watching the sick kids opening their gifts. And for those old enough to remember....Morcambe and Wise Christmas specials....Christmas wasnt Christmas without them! And of course....The Queens Speech.
Aaah, them were the days
Merry Christmas
Nothing to do with this thread, but can I just say you name made me chuckle. I've haven't heard that expression in years.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by USAGypsies

I must say from somebody that loves living in Oz ,this is the one thing i miss ,the xmas atmosphere with the hustle an bustle in the cold!!
Enjoy your day whatever you do.
donna
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:34 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh Baileys

You have just brought back a christmas memory from many years ago.

I had a gay friend who loves the stuff ( i do too) So on Boxing day I took a very lrge bottle of it round to his place. When i got there, he was n somewhat of a state as he had just had huge row with his partner.
We decided to get stuck into the Baileys to drown his sorrows. Several hours later after finishing the entire bottle plus other alcoholic delights!!, his partner returned to find the pair of us sitting on the kitchen floor leaning against the cooker, absolutely pickled

I was so ill the next day, and can no longer bare more than a few sips of Baileys.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:05 pm
Banned

I love cooking and am compiling a book on all the recipes I've invented over the years. Here's a recipe for a frozen pudding which include Baileys. I'm making it on Christmas eve to take to friends the next day. (If there's any left )

You need a tub of good quality vanilla ice cream like Streets or Peters. You need to break it up in a bowl and soften it without it defrosting too much.
Then add a mix of dried and glace fruits that have been soaked overnight in enough dark rum to cover them. I use raisins, cherries, candied orange peel, roasted almonds, strawberries & chopped mango.
Add some melted dark best quality chocolate and the Baileys along with a tsp of mixed spice. Mix it all up, pour it into a lined basin and freeze.

Or if you don't like the fruit version, use broken toblerone, marshmallow, crunchie bars & maltesers. Luckily for me I'm not a fan of sweet stuff. I just make it for everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.