christmas in uk

Old May 28th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: christmas in uk

Originally Posted by arkon
Could also do with the exchange rate doing a nose dive.
That'd be handy
Old May 28th 2007, 10:46 am
Just Joined

dieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nice

....all this talk about a UK Christmas got me looking out the photo I took of my last UK Christmas tree...it was the night before it was due to be taken down and I thought I'd better take a wee piccy to remind me of happy times in my UK home....can't believe I am now staying in a pokey, over priced rental flat in Perth!

Happy Christmas everyone!...well...it'll soon be Christmas in July!!...isn't that what they do over here?

: )
Attached Thumbnails christmas in uk-my-last-uk-christmas-tree.jpg  
Old May 28th 2007, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dieseljocky
....all this talk about a UK Christmas got me looking out the photo I took of my last UK Christmas tree...it was the night before it was due to be taken down and I thought I'd better take a wee piccy to remind me of happy times in my UK home....can't believe I am now staying in a pokey, over priced rental flat in Perth!

Happy Christmas everyone!...well...it'll soon be Christmas in July!!...isn't that what they do over here?

Oh what a lovely tree, oh dear, all this talk about Christmas makes me wish I was going back for this years! Instead it will be hot with aircon on I suppose! Just not cricket is it!!

Di
Old May 28th 2007, 11:25 am
Just Joined

dieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nicedieseljocky is just really nice

Originally Posted by PLANTS
Oh what a lovely tree, oh dear, all this talk about Christmas makes me wish I was going back for this years! Instead it will be hot with aircon on I suppose! Just not cricket is it!!

Di
Thanks very much Plants, I know what you mean, Christmas/Christmas spirit just isn't the same in 40deg heat!

Old May 28th 2007, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dieseljocky

lovely. Room looks nice...I have wondered about having those curtains that drape on the floor a bit. Do they get dusty? And also, (moving to new house soon so planning away!)..open fireplace or gas living flame? I am erring towards gas as have had open before and was filthy!
Old May 28th 2007, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seasprite
lovely. Room looks nice...I have wondered about having those curtains that drape on the floor a bit. Do they get dusty? And also, (moving to new house soon so planning away!)..open fireplace or gas living flame? I am erring towards gas as have had open before and was filthy!
a wood burner, a bit mucky but not as much as an open fire, alot warmer and so so lovely....
Old May 28th 2007, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by seasprite
Hi Seasprite - thanks very much. I must admit I am a bit of a clean freak so dust doesn't get time to settle!!...the curtains are draping because I was too lazy to take them up!...but it looked ok. We had a real open fireplace and agree it's a lot of work but it does look lovely and it's sooo cozy...especially where we lived in Scotland, if there was a powercut you needed a real fire to snuggle up beside. Gas would be much cleaner and easier. How exciting moving to a new place.....it's hard having to decide all the interior bits and bobs...if you're like me you'll change your mind a million times!! Good luck with the move!

Old May 28th 2007, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

sakhee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fitz
moving back to the uk{scotland}in october this year,can't wait for christmas day in the uk,possibly snow and building snow men with my daughters,
really missed all that,sitting in 40 c with all the blinds closed and aircon on
just isn't for me,give me a cold snowy christmas anyday,also can't wait for
guy fawkes night.
a good old fashioned xmas beats a barbie on the beach anyday.
there aint snow tat often during christmas where i live in the uk for the last few years it alwayz after...
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:27 am
Just Joined

granma2b will become famous soon enough

I live in a cold place in oz and yes where i live it gets as cold as uk. Our winters are freezing and also we get beautiful autumms just like uk. We get a dawn chorus, except that the birds are different, but we also have english birds here that were brought over originally. Our christmas day and i dont know anyone who goes to the beach, we live nowhere near a beach. We have a traditional english christmas dinner and last year it was so cold, we had our gas fire going flat chat all day. I dont know where alot of you live but you seem to have been seduced by warm weather and beaches. I wake up to mists rolling in from the valley opposite my house and its gorgeous. I live in a village and its so different to the sterotypical aussie lifestyle that most brits seem to think about. We have snow everyyear where i live.It reminds me of uk, except i have a better ecconomic life here. Yes its true it can be sooo boring i do agree. But i disagree that its all heat and beaches cos its not. We know all our neighbors in our street and i know that if i needed anything they would be there for me.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:31 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by granma2b
I live in a cold place in oz and yes where i live it gets as cold as uk. Our winters are freezing and also we get beautiful autumms just like uk. We get a dawn chorus, except that the birds are different, but we also have english birds here that were brought over originally. Our christmas day and i dont know anyone who goes to the beach, we live nowhere near a beach. We have a traditional english christmas dinner and last year it was so cold, we had our gas fire going flat chat all day. I dont know where alot of you live but you seem to have been seduced by warm weather and beaches. I wake up to mists rolling in from the valley opposite my house and its gorgeous. I live in a village and its so different to the sterotypical aussie lifestyle that most brits seem to think about. We have snow everyyear where i live.It reminds me of uk, except i have a better ecconomic life here. Yes its true it can be sooo boring i do agree. But i disagree that its all heat and beaches cos its not. We know all our neighbors in our street and i know that if i needed anything they would be there for me.
Are you sure you've left England?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:56 am
Just Joined

granma2b will become famous soon enough

lol yes i have left uk, been here for 27 years. Sometimes i do wonder why i live in such a cold place, i live in the blue mountains apt name i can tell you. At the moment it is about 1 degree outside and its been like this for about 3 weeks now. Raining which is good because we havent had alot of rain, but freezing. My nearest beach is about 100 kilometeres away. Dark and overcast.I do love it cos i can stay inside all nice and cosy. No its not always like this, we do get summers but no humidity like other parts of oz and our summers are mild. I saw uk on the news and i thought they looked hotter than where i live. The blue mountains is a great place to live. Its in nsw and i have visited gold coast which is where alot of people seem to live when they come over from uk, but very hot and humid there. I would never chose to live there. As anyone on this site ever checked out south australia as their countryside is just like the tuscan valleys. Mild weather. Grow a lot of wine grapes there. Australia at the moment seems to offer me and my family a better standard of living, though i do miss uk, but it seems to have changed alot some of it seems to be for the worse.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:35 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by granma2b
lol yes i have left uk, been here for 27 years. Sometimes i do wonder why i live in such a cold place, i live in the blue mountains apt name i can tell you. At the moment it is about 1 degree outside and its been like this for about 3 weeks now. Raining which is good because we havent had alot of rain, but freezing. My nearest beach is about 100 kilometeres away. Dark and overcast.I do love it cos i can stay inside all nice and cosy. No its not always like this, we do get summers but no humidity like other parts of oz and our summers are mild. I saw uk on the news and i thought they looked hotter than where i live. The blue mountains is a great place to live. Its in nsw and i have visited gold coast which is where alot of people seem to live when they come over from uk, but very hot and humid there. I would never chose to live there. As anyone on this site ever checked out south australia as their countryside is just like the tuscan valleys. Mild weather. Grow a lot of wine grapes there. Australia at the moment seems to offer me and my family a better standard of living, though i do miss uk, but it seems to have changed alot some of it seems to be for the worse.

i visited sydney inc the blue mountains in january, and i loved it too.......... we wish we had moved there to begin with but are too fed up of trying different places etc so are going home.

some of the villages over that way were so full of character and seemed to have a bit more history and culture to them, i cant think of their names off the top of my head now the temperatures were lovely, and when we returned from sydney to brisbane boy did we notice the difference!!!! we drove there and back, and coming back, at each stop you could feel it heating up and the humidity rising!