christmas in uk

Old May 3rd 2007, 10:03 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: christmas in uk

Originally Posted by Rascal
You know you are homesick when you start wanting to b back in snow and cold weather! Especially me who is a sunlover!
Hubby kept saying we would have Xmas in UK, I will not repeat what I said to him, but cold, snow and me dont mix! More so when its summer here and I will miss the short supply of sunny weather we get here.
But, I actually want to go now to Uk for Xmas! Sod the sun, sea sand, BBq;s, there's only so much of those you can take eh?
Aaahhh Xmas with snow, cold, frost, dark nights, sparkly trees, and loads of rellies and friends to enjoy it with!
It sounds better every minute!
and all the songs they roll out for Christmas in the UK. Slade, Wizzard, The Pogues etc. Over here it is all sickly sweet American Christmas carols like 'I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus' etc.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:15 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alicecat
and all the songs they roll out for Christmas in the UK. Slade, Wizzard, The Pogues etc. Over here it is all sickly sweet American Christmas carols like 'I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus' etc.

You want to try listening to Chirstmas songs in 35 degree heat...."Frosty the snowman la la la la la la!" Bloody mental
Old May 4th 2007, 11:42 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
You want to try listening to Chirstmas songs in 35 degree heat...."Frosty the snowman la la la la la la!" Bloody mental
I grew up with it and only after having a few Christmases in the UK did I realise how ridiculous it was!!!

Last edited by alicecat; May 4th 2007 at 12:19 pm.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:15 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jangle
Mmmm narrow minded.........no I won't go there. I can understand that some people want to return home for whatever reasons they have, as not everyone will settle in a new country. We all know it costs us a fortune and that we all miss family and things we are used to. The reason I asked the question (without touching an obviously very raw nerve) is what did you expect when you were going through the visa process, selling your house, leaving your job, family etc? Obviously family is a massive pull and some people want to return due to family matters, health etc. but some of the posts on here go on about missing the UK and the "great" things about it. If our lives were so fantastic and the country so fantastic, why bother with all the upheaval of moving abroad in the first place?? So not a stupid comment in my eyes, just somewhat perplexed.
Because we all make mistakes. I hope you don't end up making any mistakes as large as this.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really niceJangle is just really nice

Originally Posted by arkon
Because we all make mistakes. I hope you don't end up making any mistakes as large as this.
Hopefully I won't thanks.
Old May 5th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

oh, yes, proper mince pies...and clotted cream in general, in fact cream teas at home. Oh no I am getting foodie now, not Christmassy.
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:58 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the UK Christmas terribly too. I've been in the US for about 4 and a half years now, and the first Xmas here was awful for me. My hubby's family are great, and there were a lot of them, but it just wasn't the same. Last year, my mum and brother came to visit me for Crimbo, and while it was wonderful, it still wasn't the same. It was pouring down rain and thundering. Nice that it wasn't the usual 90 degree weather we always have, but I'd have killed for some snow.
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

We arrived back in UK mid December 2005, stayed in Rugby then on Boxing Day we drove across to Kesgrave/Ipswich on th A14. As we drove across it suddenly started to snow so by the time we arrived in Kesgrave it was an inch thick and how that warmed our hearts! Our poor dog, only ever seen Perth, was like a spring lamb jumping all around absolutely hilarious to see. That Christmas Day with my son his lovely wife and two gorgeous grandtoddlers was the best I have had in years and years - then driving across to Kesgrave to Sister in Laws and kids just made it for us. Its amazing how much fun you can have getting wet and sloshy plus one dog who has never seen snow It FELT like Christmas

Heres a picture for you.
Kesgrave, view of opposites house in late afternoon covered in snow, forgot just how lovely the snow looks and how the street lights look too. My lovely OH and Bella all wrapped up in her coat. Arrh happy memories.
Thanks for letting me post this!
Attached Thumbnails christmas in uk-img_0668.jpg   christmas in uk-img_0679.jpg  
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alicecat
Gee's never thought I'd admit to missing Slade and The Pogues songs at Christmas time but I do!

They made Christmas didn't they!
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:56 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PLANTS
Gee's never thought I'd admit to missing Slade and The Pogues songs at Christmas time but I do!

They made Christmas didn't they!
I think Christams in the UK has a 'togetherness' about it that doesn't exist here. The entire nation gets hyped up and goes out en-mass to shop etc. The pubs are full of people being merry and it's just an altogether nice experience. Here by contrast, people stick together in little family groups and if they venture out at all it's to have another bloody BBQ. There's no togetherness as nation about it at all. It can be all very depressing.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Ah I've now got Christmas scenes as my backdrop!!!!!

I love the way it feels when it snows. Looking out of the window as the flakes fall past the streetlights, it all seems magical somehow.

Thanks guys
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:10 am
Account Closed

I think Christams in the UK has a 'togetherness' about it that doesn't exist here. The entire nation gets hyped up and goes out en-mass to shop etc. The pubs are full of people being merry and it's just an altogether nice experience. Here by contrast, people stick together in little family groups and if they venture out at all it's to have another bloody BBQ. There's no togetherness as nation about it at all. It can be all very depressing.

Totally agree. I didn't think I'd miss the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping. Getting my knickers in a twist 'cos I couldn't get a parking space, or developing shopping rage around Tesco's, or buying a turkey that wouldn't fit into the freezer (could never buy a fresh one. It was like putting a turkey on death row to me if I'd ordered one!)....ahhhhh those were the days!

Over here it's just like another day. How I miss getting up really early to put the turkey in, prepare the veggies and wait for the family to arrive. Hopefully this Chirstmas coming will be the last for many of us. Fingers crossed eh
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:12 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

It is tough, but of course it all has to do with the weather. We never got as Christmassy in S.AFrica as we do here, mainly due to the heat. Who the heck wants to be all Christmassy when it is 100 degrees out. Pool and BBQ is the only way to cope with a southern hemisphere Christmas!
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Atmosphere is sadly lacking here.

After going late night shopping to get those last minute things on Christmas Eve and getting home to the lovely central heating and a house full of family and Christmas spirit.....

Roll on next year...only one more lifeless one to endure!

LibbyX
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Totally agree. I didn't think I'd miss the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping. Getting my knickers in a twist 'cos I couldn't get a parking space, or developing shopping rage around Tesco's, or buying a turkey that wouldn't fit into the freezer (could never buy a fresh one. It was like putting a turkey on death row to me if I'd ordered one!)....ahhhhh those were the days!

Over here it's just like another day. How I miss getting up really early to put the turkey in, prepare the veggies and wait for the family to arrive. Hopefully this Chirstmas coming will be the last for many of us. Fingers crossed eh
I'm going home for Christmas. Cannot bear the thought of having it here again. How dull it was, such a shame there is no spirit here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.