Christmas at home (UK)

Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

atkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of light
Default Christmas at home (UK)

Just thought I would update out circumstances. We moved out to Adelaide in October 2006 and within weeks my OH couldnt stand it and we came home.
just to say we are a stronger family for our experiences out in Oz. I certainly dont regret what we did. If we had never had done it I would have always wondered.
It has made me a stronger person and doing well at work - feel like i've grown up! (no comments please). We lost alot of money doing what we did but we have a smaller house but it is a real home and we love it. Kids are happy and getting on with their lives. OH still a little unsettled but more confident in himself and looking forward to the future.
At Christmas looking around at my family I felt quite proud how we had come through it all together. It wasnt a easy ride nothing is in life, i still think of Adelaide and what would we have been doing now however, the Uk is definalty where I want to be.
Good luck to all those waiting to come home and going through the awful guilt trips. It will all come right in the end.
Helen
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:27 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas at home (UK)

Originally Posted by atkinsfamily
Just thought I would update out circumstances. We moved out to Adelaide in October 2006 and within weeks my OH couldnt stand it and we came home.
just to say we are a stronger family for our experiences out in Oz. I certainly dont regret what we did. If we had never had done it I would have always wondered.
It has made me a stronger person and doing well at work - feel like i've grown up! (no comments please). We lost alot of money doing what we did but we have a smaller house but it is a real home and we love it. Kids are happy and getting on with their lives. OH still a little unsettled but more confident in himself and looking forward to the future.
At Christmas looking around at my family I felt quite proud how we had come through it all together. It wasnt a easy ride nothing is in life, i still think of Adelaide and what would we have been doing now however, the Uk is definalty where I want to be.
Good luck to all those waiting to come home and going through the awful guilt trips. It will all come right in the end.
Helen
Nice to see another success story. I think it takes something like a move abroad to realize just how good you had it. I'm looking forward to my move back and feeling settled and happy again. All the best to you with your new life.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:45 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Helen
Glad to hear you're all settled. All the best

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:57 am
Just Joined

oz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant futureoz1967 has a brilliant future

Helen
Glad you've all settled back in,U.K is not all bad is it.We return back home from Brissie on Feb6,we can't wait.Shippers booked Jan24,still got a mazda and corner settee to sell though.Lets hope this is our final move.Happy newyear to all (especially us born again brits)!!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really niceMrs Muesli is just really nice

Helen
Congratulations on getting through the rough times and coming out the other end!
Have a wonderful New Year - may it bring all you wish for.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Familytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to all

We are feeling exactly how you must have been feeling before you went home.

I cannot wait to get back, we have flights booked for mid February this year (i can say that now 'this year' hurrah!!).

Just really wanted to say, i cannot wait to have those feelings that you must be experiencing, i.e. being back home and looking around at your family and knowing you have come through it stronger and able to feel normal again.

It's just nice to hear that you feel you made the right decision to go home to the UK and you don't regret going back.

All the best!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Helen
you certainly would not want to be in Adelaide this week 43 Degs, the hottest day in over 100 years...... who in their right mind wants to survive in that heat. It just makes me feel sick.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
you certainly would not want to be in Adelaide this week 43 Degs, the hottest day in over 100 years...... who in their right mind wants to survive in that heat. It just makes me feel sick.
Looks like you have a taste of Perth's weather. Now you know why us Perthies complain

I wish we had gone home for Xmas. It was a real bummer here.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Looks like you have a taste of Perth's weather. Now you know why us Perthies complain

I wish we had gone home for Xmas. It was a real bummer here.
We went to Tasmania for our Christmas,returned to Adelaide on the 30th , just in time for all the hot weather.

Have to say the weather in Tassie was just perfect. We went down to the Harbour to see the Yatchs arrive from Sydney into Hobart.....it was a great sight watching Wild Oats come into the Harbour.

If Perth is as hot as Adelaide then I have no wish to go there
Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Helen

It took courage to come out an give it a go
It took courage to admit it wasn't right for your family & to go back to the uk

good luck with 2008 and hope its a fabulous one for you and the family

Ali
Old Dec 31st 2007, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

After my 2nd Xmas and new year here, i am now 100% sure that moving back to UK is the right thing to do. Glad it's all over with now, just took the tree down, roll on Aug
Old Dec 31st 2007, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy New Year to you all.

To those of you back home in Blighty, well done for having the courage to try to live out your dreams, and the strength to admit it wasn't right, go back and start again.

I took the tree down today too, I just wanted to forget Christmas ever happened really. It was a complete none event in our house, even OH says he hates Christmas here!!!!!! He still enjoys Oz for the other 364 days though....bummer

This was our fourth, and hopefully our last, Christmas in Australia. Roll on whatever 2008 has to throw at me..........bring it on mole, I'm ready for it
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

atkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of light

Just to say thanks for everyones replies. I know alot of you are in the same boat and I hope our experiences give you all courage to face the future. waht ever it may hold.
Wishing everyone a happy new year.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

varnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nicevarnold is just really nice
Default Going home!

Just want to say I feel a big relief reading some of your comments knowing that I am not alone. Coming to Australia has been one BIG adventure and we have seen and done things we may never of experienced, so I am grateful for that. It has been a challenge and certainly made me realise what I want out of life. It is was a huge move out here and will be going back but I feel like my life is on hold at the mo and look forward to getting back to some normality and familiarity.