Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Choosing items to ship, gardening tools

Choosing items to ship, gardening tools

Old Dec 18th 2022, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Choosing items to ship, gardening tools

Moving next year and I hope to continue my hobby in the UK. Is it worth shipping a select number of gardening tools or are they easily and not expensively purchased in N. England? What about pots and pans, I have high end stainless set. Any other guidance on what is worth the effort?
Old Dec 19th 2022, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing items to ship, gardening tools

If you are going to be filling a shipping container then I would include my favorite tools, pots and pans. No electric power tools of course as the voltage is wrong.

To get an idea of prices over here I would Google gardening tools UK and browse to see prices. I prefer good quality gardening tools so would pay £40 for a stainless steel spade rather than £50 for a set of 5 similar tools (fork, spade, hoe etc)

you can also browse some Which? Reports on gardening tools, comparing brands, prices and reliability.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/gard...article/guides

Good quality pans are expensive for sure and something in our near future. My wife is researching which type and where to buy them now. Which? also has some recent reports on pans.

Old Dec 19th 2022, 6:12 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateg60
Moving next year and I hope to continue my hobby in the UK. Is it worth shipping a select number of gardening tools or are they easily and not expensively purchased in N. England? What about pots and pans, I have high end stainless set. Any other guidance on what is worth the effort?
Looking at this from the other end of the telescope, we brought some battery powered tools including a hedge trimmer with us when moving from the UK to Canada. It was then simply a matter of buying a transformer to power the charging unit. No problems so far.
Old Dec 21st 2022, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
If you are going to be filling a shipping container then I would include my favorite tools, pots and pans. No electric power tools of course as the voltage is wrong.

To get an idea of prices over here I would Google gardening tools UK and browse to see prices. I prefer good quality gardening tools so would pay £40 for a stainless steel spade rather than £50 for a set of 5 similar tools (fork, spade, hoe etc)

you can also browse some Which? Reports on gardening tools, comparing brands, prices and reliability.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/gard...article/guides

Good quality pans are expensive for sure and something in our near future. My wife is researching which type and where to buy them now. Which? also has some recent reports on pans.
Okay thanks for the information.
Old Dec 21st 2022, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Regarding Sendmybag, how did people gauge the size box they needed to stay within the weight limitations. Obviously books are heavy but can be spaced out among boxes to avoid an overweight box. I'm trying to decide what size box to buy that will take me to 66lbs with a mix of objects but stay within the weight limits. I know this is a guessing game based on my stuff, I'm looking for general guide to the size box I should start with?

Also the Seven Seas Movecube may be a good option for me as I's like to move a bike and small pieces of furniture, but mostly boxes. How many boxes does a small cube hold? Would a bike, small table, a couple of chairs and garden tools also fit in a small. Has anyone used one recently, what was the final cost? Sendmybag is pricing at $175 per box with fuel surcharge.
Old Dec 21st 2022, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Regarding Sendmybag, how did people gauge the size box they needed to stay within the weight limitations. Obviously books are heavy but can be spaced out among boxes to avoid an overweight box. I'm trying to decide what size box to buy that will take me to 66lbs with a mix of objects but stay within the weight limits. I know this is a guessing game based on my stuff, I'm looking for general guide to the size box I should start with?

Also the Seven Seas Movecube may be a good option for me as I's like to move a bike and small pieces of furniture, but mostly boxes. How many boxes does a small cube hold? Would a bike, small table, a couple of chairs and garden tools also fit in a small. Has anyone used one recently, what was the final cost? Sendmybag is pricing at $175 per box with fuel surcharge.
I moved this to a new thread.
Old Dec 23rd 2022, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Movecube quotes and cube dimensions can be found here: https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/e...ving/movecube/