Reload this Page >

Chislehurst, Kent or Broxbourne or Bishops Stortford

Chislehurst, Kent or Broxbourne or Bishops Stortford

Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:14 am
Just Joined

KateSH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chislehurst, Kent or Broxbourne or Bishops Stortford

Hello,
we are expats (currently in Singapore) looking to possibly move to the UK. Though I have experience living in London, I have never lived outside of it before, nor have I experienced the UK with children (we have two young boys, 6 and 4).

My questions is, where would you choose to live? Chislehurst, Broxbourne or Bishops Stortford?

These destinations are largely based on the schools we can get our children into. The first holds great appeal because of the far better commute to work for my husband who will be in Canary Warf.

It frightens me to think we are going to make a decision on schools and towns without having seen them. I may be able to do a reccie in July, but it is likely we will have had to make a decision on schools (and therefore towns) before that.

Any thoughts you have on these - or other - towns with good independent schools (we have left our run too late for government schools this year) and a reasonable commute to Canary Warf would be most appreciated.

Thank you....
Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chislehurst, Kent or Broxbourne or Bishops Stortford

Originally Posted by KateSH View Post
Hello,
we are expats (currently in Singapore) looking to possibly move to the UK. Though I have experience living in London, I have never lived outside of it before, nor have I experienced the UK with children (we have two young boys, 6 and 4).

My questions is, where would you choose to live? Chislehurst, Broxbourne or Bishops Stortford?

These destinations are largely based on the schools we can get our children into. The first holds great appeal because of the far better commute to work for my husband who will be in Canary Warf.

It frightens me to think we are going to make a decision on schools and towns without having seen them. I may be able to do a reccie in July, but it is likely we will have had to make a decision on schools (and therefore towns) before that.

Any thoughts you have on these - or other - towns with good independent schools (we have left our run too late for government schools this year) and a reasonable commute to Canary Warf would be most appreciated.

Thank you....
Chistlehurst is OK. Orpington (just down the line from Chistlehurst) has very good schools and some nice living areas in Crofton. Or if money is no object, Chelsfield Park, full of big detached houses with big gardens. Chelsfield is within easy walking to St Olaves boys school and has a railway station.

Because these are rated as good schools, they are in high demand.

For girls based in Bromley but easy to commute from Orpington
Newstead Wood School - Home

For boys and in Orpington
St. Olave's Grammar School

If it is junior shcools you want, The Highway Primary School on the Chelsfield/Orpington borders had a good name and I assume still has.

Last edited by formula; Apr 15th 2015 at 12:16 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

The schools in Bromley are wonderful but Orpington isn't the nicest place to live. Bromley has great parts but mostly it's a bit chavvy. Chelsfield and Knockholt (the station after Chelsfield) have lovely houses but Knockholt station isn't near the village weirdly. Sevenoaks has good schools, nice houses, cheaper than Chislehurst but VERY quick and easy commute (19 mins I believe) Chislehurst seems nice, the usual London suburb.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been to Orpington for years, but some of the areas some people call Orpington are not really Orpington and never were i.e. St Mary Cray, St Pauls Cray (an area to avoid). The area of Orpington near the St Olaves school is the best area of Orpington.

Chislehurst always had some very iffy areas and still does. My sister was in the police.

Bromley: thousands of my relatives live there so best avoid The expensive areas are the best of course and the cheaper area is best to avoid.

If money is no object, then choose Chelsfield Park, but don't let the estate agents tell you that Orpington or Green St Green is Chelsfield Park. Chelsfield Park has big detached houses standing in 3/4 to 1 acre plots, with lots of big trees. Chelsfield Park surrounds the local cricket pitch.

Expensive areas of Sevenoaks are OK but Sevenoaks has rough areas too. Some villages near Sevenoaks are nice, Kemsing or Otford. They have a railway station and most there commute to London. Not sure how easy it would be to commute to Docklands from there though.

Last edited by formula; Apr 16th 2015 at 3:37 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

This has been posted before, but might be useful in evaluating locations based on the commute -

commutefrom.com: Where to buy a house on London's commuter routes - commute times, fares and house prices
Old Apr 26th 2015, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Fishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant future

I grew up in Broxbourne and know the area well. Broxbourne isn't a town, the nearest town is Hoddesdon, which is runs into and is abit of a dive. Broxbourne is a bit 'footballers' wives'. It has some lovely houses and of course is popular as its on the railway line to London. The Broxbourne School always was a sought after secondary school and it has good primary schools. Hertford a bit further up the line is better. Abit smaller than Bishops Stortford and very popular with people who move out of London.Good schools, safe, green.Bishops Stortford, is not bad,
handy for Stanstead and probably abit cheaper than Broxbourne as its abit further out.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about Oxted in Surrey? We're living there now. Has a great High Street with lovely shops, fantastic schools and a super easy commute into Victoria (37 mins)
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

PTapril15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Chislehurst is lovely with huge houses. My daughter went to Newstead Woods (highly selective single sex school) and although she hated it there, she is a medical student now.,, so the academic standards are good. My son, on the other hand declined St Olaves which is one of the best selective boys school but went on to Wilson 's in Surrey, another selective school and he has done extremely well too... I would not live in Orpington but Chislehurst is lovely as is Chelsfield and Tonbridge, which has good grammar schools too. Surrey has great schools too. Incidentally, Bishops Stortford is lovely too - but do not know the local schools. A note though - these selective schools have difficult entry exams !