Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

children receive social security benefits

children receive social security benefits

Old Feb 15th 2002, 3:05 am
Eadie

Default children receive social security benefits

I presently receive social security benefits for myself and my two children as my
husband died in March of 99. I do work however as this is allowed as long as either
i dont' go over a specified amount or pay back an adjusted figure when i do go over
the limit. When I remarry I will of course lose my social security but my two
children will retain theirs. Do I show my childrens social security benefits along
with my earnings when I file the affidavit of support for my fiance (although this
money is for the support of my children but it shows that they are not in a way
totally dependent on me or so i think...) I keep looking for something on this but
so far nada.

Thanks!

Eadie

Old Feb 15th 2002, 5:25 am
Michael D. Youn

Default Re: children receive social security benefits

Eadie wrote:

> I presently receive social security benefits for myself and my two children as my
    > husband died in March of 99. I do work however as this is allowed as long as either
    > i dont' go over a specified amount or pay back an adjusted figure when i do go over
    > the limit. When I remarry I will of course lose my social security but my two
    > children will retain theirs. Do I show my childrens social security benefits along
    > with my earnings when I file the affidavit of support for my fiance (although this
    > money is for the support of my children but it shows that they are not in a way
    > totally dependent on me or so i think...) I keep looking for something on this but
    > so far nada.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Eadie

Hi All!

This isn't the answer to your question, but I almost bet that if your husbands Social
Security survivors benefit is being split 3 ways, that your children's benefit amount
will go up once your benefit terminates.

Survivors benefit is 75% of the PIA and the Family Maximum (FM) is normally around
150% of the PIA, so if you split the FM 3 ways, you are probably each now getting
less than 75% of the PIA.

Example: PIA $1000.00 75% 750.00 FM $1500.00

FM/3 = $500.00 FM/2 = $750.00

So family income will probably stay the same once your benefit terminates. Call
1-800-772-1213 to see if I'm right, if they haven't told you this already.

Take care,

Mike

Old Feb 15th 2002, 5:45 am
Shelley

"Eadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I presently receive social security benefits for myself and my two children as my
    > husband died in March of 99. I do work however as this is allowed as long as either
    > i dont' go over a specified amount or pay back an adjusted figure when i do go over
    > children will retain theirs. Do I show my childrens social security benefits along
    > with my earnings when I file the affidavit of support for my fiance (although this
    > money is for the support of my children but it shows that they are not in a way
    > totally dependent on me or so i think...) I keep looking for something on this but
    > so far nada.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Eadie

Old Feb 15th 2002, 6:06 am
Shelley

Opps - sorry about the blank post I have 3 three children who receive Social Security
benefits because my ex-husband is disabled. I included the amounts I receive for
them, and a copy of the benefit letter as proof and used this as part of my income. I
did this for both the I-134 for the K-1 visa and the I-864 for my husbands AOS. After
all it is income you receive, and it will count toward your total income amount. You
should include the benefits. Take Care. Shelley

"Eadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > so far nada.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Eadie

Old Feb 15th 2002, 12:05 pm
Michael D. Youn

Shelley wrote:

> Opps - sorry about the blank post I have 3 three children who receive Social
    > Security benefits because my ex-husband is disabled. I included the amounts I
    > receive for them, and a copy of the benefit letter as proof and used this as part
    > of my income. I did this for both the I-134 for the K-1 visa and the I-864 for my
    > husbands AOS. After all it is income you receive, and it will count toward your
    > total income amount. You should include the benefits. Take Care. Shelley
    >

Hi All!

If that's all you need, you can order one at:

https://s00dace.ssa.gov/pro/beve/bevehome.shtml

Take care,

Mike