Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Chester UK, cost of living? Saving etc..

Wikiposts

Chester UK, cost of living? Saving etc..

Old May 2nd 2013, 12:19 am
Just Joined

spc0710 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chester UK, cost of living? Saving etc..

Hello Friends,
I have a job oppertunity in Chester,UK.
Please advise me in taking decision if I can accept.

My offer is 3450 pound per month including tax.
I think,after Tax & National Insurance, I may takehome salary will be 2580 Pound per month

Will it be sufficient for family of 4 people.We are family with my wife and 2 children (5ys and 6 months each).

How is Chester for living?

How are the expenses in Chester on monthly basis for House,transport,electricity,mobile,TV,water,Gas,Gr ocery etc .(Any other mandory expenses can also be specified)
How much could I be able to save per month?

I am considering Medical is free also considering Education for my elder child is free

cheers
Old May 2nd 2013, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chester UK, cost of living? Saving etc..

Originally Posted by spc0710
Hello Friends,
I have a job oppertunity in Chester,UK.

My offer is 3450 pound per month including tax.
I think,after Tax & National Insurance, I may takehome salary will be 2580 Pound per month

Will it be sufficient for family of 4 people.We are family with my wife and 2 children (5ys and 6 months each).

How are the expenses in Chester on monthly basis for House,transport,electricity,mobile,TV,water,Gas,Gr ocery etc .(Any other mandory expenses can also be specified)
How much could I be able to save per month?

I am considering Medical is free also considering Education for my elder child is free

cheers
Look on rightmove and see whether there is a house in your desired area of Chester work-wise that meets your expectations as everything pretty much depends on housing costs and the cost to get to and from work from the place that you have chosen to live. Would you be renting or buying, for example. Are you happy to live in a bog-standard housing estate. How big a garden do you want/need.

Supermarket expenses are national, as are utilities and typically petrol. Local greengrocers, butchers and farmer's markets might be a bit cheaper than in the Home Counties. Check websites for Tesco and Sainsbury to get an idea on the cost of your essentials.

How gregarious are you - would you be wanting to get out and about with your kids to see some of the UK. Are you happy to spend time at home after work watching TV. Do you drink/smoke. How ambitious are you and your spouse in terms of what you want to eat and are you happy to always eat home-cooked food and leftovers. Are you a disciplined shopper always on the alert for quality specials and happy to stay away from processed or more expensive items. These items have a huge bearing on how much it costs to live along with your choice of transport, preparedness to use public transport etc.

As somebody else said regarding the initial return budget - How long is a piece of string?

Some folks on here would say that your net income was more than adequate and will allow plenty of room to save because they are apparently able to live on next to nothing when it comes to weekly groceries. I'm not sure everybody can live that way though.

You have quoted gross and net pay, after NI and Tax but since you have a young family there might be tax credits to supplement your net income which you should look into if you have not factored these in.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 2nd 2013 at 2:12 am. Reason: Some folks on here...... Tax credits
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Friends,
I have a job opportunity in Chester,UK.
How are the expenses in Chester on monthly basis for
I am considering Medical is free also considering Education for my elder child is free ...
In my opinion, Chester is as cheap as it gets for somewhere really pleasant to live and not too remote.

If you have or expect frequent prescription expenses look for a place in the suburbs just over the border within Wales.

As someone else suggested, check out rightmove.co.uk
for example
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...tml?sortType=1
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Use this info as somewhat of a gauge of prices in the search area, by type of house, as compared with others in the region:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...ml/region2.stm
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Petrol obviously depends on how far you drive and what you drive. It's tough for anyone to give you an accurate figure on that.

TV is 12.12 a month I think although you are required to basically pay the first year in the first six months - so initially 24.24.

You've been given links already for housing and supermarkets. I wouldn't like to comment on utilities as we've not been here for long enough to judge how our summer bills will look compared to winter.

I live in Chester. It's (mostly) pretty and has what you need for day to day life. For me it's missing things like ethnic minority grocery shops and an ethnically varied population. Chester is fairly white. I have no idea how (or even if) this impacts the life of those who live here and are not white. Transport links are good. There is no city centre cinema but the former Odeon cinema is being redeveloped into a theatre and library complex. The market is in severe decline, which is a great shame as I love markets.
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Chester UK, cost of living? Saving etc..

Thanks a lot Pistolpete2 , holly_1948 , Almo for sharing great details.Those are definately gonna help me.
We live very simple life. No smoking/drinking. I believe in food prepared at home by my wife or my mother. We eat lot of fresh vegetables and fruits.
I have few more questions like,
1. Is there any way to save tax. Like some countries give exemption in Income tax if we do investment in properties, cars, pension etc.
2. Can I buy properties in UK being foreigners..?
3. My company is giving me Tier-2 Visa though my I am not yet confirmed if it will be T-2 General or ICT(Internal Company Transfer). Mostly I think it will be T2 ICT.... Can I settle in UK on T2 ICT visa or can I be eligible to apply to PR (permanent Resident) after few years? If not, is it possible to convert from T2 ICT to T2 General or T1 so that I can apply to PR latter?

Appreciated for your reply.
Thanks
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks a lot Pistolpete2 , holly_1948 , Almo for sharing great details.Those are definately gonna help me.
We live very simple life. No smoking/drinking. I believe in food prepared at home by my wife or my mother. We eat lot of fresh vegetables and fruits.
I have few more questions like,
1. Is there any way to save tax. Like some countries give exemption in Income tax if we do investment in properties, cars, pension etc.
2. Can I buy properties in UK being foreigners..?
3. My company is giving me Tier-2 Visa though my I am not yet confirmed if it will be T-2 General or ICT(Internal Company Transfer). Mostly I think it will be T2 ICT.... Can I settle in UK on T2 ICT visa or can I be eligible to apply to PR (permanent Resident) after few years? If not, is it possible to convert from T2 ICT to T2 General or T1 so that I can apply to PR latter?

Appreciated for your reply.
Thanks
You can make annual savings into an ISA (Individual Savings Account) which then shelters the income and it is tax free.

Anybody can own UK property so long as the funds to pay for it come from a legitimate source and they satisfy the tax authorities that tax will be paid if there is any taxable income/liability.

Foreigners (actually non-residents non-ordinarily residents - don't have to be foreigners) don't have to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) when they sell Uk property at a profit but they must still pay income tax on any net property income. However, they get a personal allowance which can reduce the tax liability to zero. Once you are based in the UK and therefore resident you do not get the CGT benefit.
Old May 4th 2013, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

spc0710....I hope all turns out well for you if you decide to move back Hoole outside Chester is really nice and you can walk into Chester if you want to. Hoole also has its own little shopping centre and I am sure you can find a nice place to rent. Dont look at Blacon......
Old May 7th 2013, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks Pistolpete2 again.
@trottytrue - Thanks. I will definitely check that.
Can anybody put the light on my 3rd point?
Thanks