Cheltenham or Guildford?

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice
Default Cheltenham or Guildford?

Okay, I have got down to these two towns as a place to move to. Which one would you say is best for a 30 something gal, that enjoyes outdoor activities (hiking, kayaking, climbing etc) that wants to be around others of my age. Also that has plenty of work ie. admin work. In general, which is the better of the two,

Interested in your thoughts!
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 5:57 pm
Brit'n'TX

Default Re: Cheltenham or Guildford?

Originally Posted by SDER
Okay, I have got down to these two towns as a place to move to. Which one would you say is best for a 30 something gal, that enjoyes outdoor activities (hiking, kayaking, climbing etc) that wants to be around others of my age. Also that has plenty of work ie. admin work. In general, which is the better of the two,

it really boils down to what class of chav you prefer ...

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDER

I would pick Cheltenham. You have the malverns a climb up the road, wales (and possibly a few dolphins a few miles away) and worcester which often has loads of floods so you probably will have plenty of kayaking during winter. And the natives are pretty friendly too. Shouldn't have any problems finding admin work there either. Pretty central to most things there.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I don't really know Cheltenham but I do Guildford. Cheltenham is closer to Wales so you would be better off for outdoor pursuits and near the Wye for kayaking.

Guildford is about an hour from an iffy version of the South Coast. PLeasant walking in surrounding Army training areas and easy climbs on the North Downs. Excellent shopping and good for nights out. Much better job opportunities as very close to London and big towns.

Friends moved from Guildford to Cheltenham as it is cheaper (though same middle class values). Imagine the chavs would be similar in both.
Roger
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 8:46 am
Old-Fart

Bangers&Mash is on a distinguished road

Hi SDR,

Are you a Brit returing home? I live in Cheltenham, just returned after 20 years in Connecticut. It's GREAT to be back here.

For the activities you are looking for Cheltenham is the place to come, there is plenty of work. Check out: http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk

Let me know if you need any more info.

Martin
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Kurtons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
it really boils down to what class of chav you prefer ...
Lived in Cheltenham all my life the best place apart from Queenstown ive been to .Cheltenham has the lot great nightlife brilliant bars ,theatres a couple of great shoppng malls lots of celebs have homes in the cotswolds about five miles away and a great area for walking .Property prices can be a bit steep though if you want the regency crash pad everyone looks for
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 5:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Cheltenham's a great place. It has it's fair share of shitty chav areas like anywhere else, but there's a nice vibe to the place, it has great access to Birmingham, Bristol and Bath and it's in the Cotswolds. ****ing hellish traffic problems of course, but you could say that about most larger UK towns.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bangers&Mash
Hi SDR,

Are you a Brit returing home? I live in Cheltenham, just returned after 20 years in Connecticut. It's GREAT to be back here.

For the activities you are looking for Cheltenham is the place to come, there is plenty of work. Check out: http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk

Let me know if you need any more info.

Martin
Hi Martin,
Yes! Im a Brit, thinking of returning to the UK. How long have you been back? I have heard great things about Cheltenham! Is it a young'ish place?

Thanks all for you great replies!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:06 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

I would definitely choose Cheltenham....although to be fair I don't treally know Guildford. We used to live in Swindon and often went to Cheltenham as we had friends in college there. It's great and perfectly located for all your outdoor pursuits. Have you considered Swindon? The reason I ask is that there are (or were 18mths ago) heaps of admin type jobs - and probably even more perfectly located than Cheltenham.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

I don't know Guilford but live in Cheltenham. Personally I don't like it, all fur coat & no knickers, as far as I'm concerned. No real diversity of people, no real substance. Very attractive regency town & attractive residential areas but little infrastructure. But it's brilliantly located for loads of other big & small towns & cities. Probably better located than Guilford for all the outdoor activities you want to do.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

rancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant future

why go to cheltenham when you could go to Gloucester ? lol, yup im from gloucester
Old Jul 8th 2005, 12:24 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I live and studied for my degree in Cheltenham, I'm originally from London. I love it in Cheltenham. Like you I'm into out door activities, there's loads to do and you have access to Wales, as mentioned by others on the forum.

London is a 2 hour drive away if you want to see the sights they have to offer. Bristol is half an hour on the train away and Bath an hour by car. You can get a train from cheltenham up to the lake district in 5ish hours, direct....what more could you ask for?

Cheltenham is a young place, with over 3000 students there are loads of cafes, bars, great shopping, limited night life....great restuarants. It's a really pretty town too!

However, there are CHAVs, fondly refered to by the cheltenham ladies college as the 'cheltenham average', hence where the name chav comes from. Haven't noticed the so called chav's....and I don't own a burberry cap.

good luck in decision making!

Claire
Old Jul 8th 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Cheltenham

http://www.cheltenham.gov.uk/librari...ates/index.asp

http://www.cotswolds.com/

Guildford

http://www.guildford.gov.uk/Guildfordweb/home/

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Guildford has excellent job opportunities as well as access to the London job market. Not really an outdoor pursuits area and property prices reflect the jobs available in the area. There are nice villages in the surrounding areas .
Old Jul 9th 2005, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bondipom
Guildford has excellent job opportunities as well as access to the London job market. Not really an outdoor pursuits area and property prices reflect the jobs available in the area. There are nice villages in the surrounding areas .
Thanks everyone for your responses! They really did help!

I like the sound of Cheltenham, but the traffic is a little off putting, (You get that in every city I guess) and Chavs??? Not familiar with those, I guess I have been away too long!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.