British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Cheese (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/cheese-499495/)

Bob Dec 13th 2007 5:59 pm

Re: Cheese

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 5665200)
:blink: Respectfully disagree. In particular, Cabot Extra Shap (black wax) is great cheddar. Available pretty much everywhere for cheap.

yeah, i've tried it, but it's still pretty bland and not that sharp...I'll give the other cheese a go if I see it though :)

Bob Dec 13th 2007 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass (Post 5665165)
I am going to head on down to the local Whole Foods (or is it Wild Oats?) in Tampa and check out the cheese aisle then. Thanks!

Didn't whole foods buy them out?

BritGuyTN Dec 13th 2007 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5664878)
Your joking? most of the cabot stuff is rubbish...not tried the other one though.

There is certainly a lot of good cheese around though, but the own brand cheap stuff is utter rubbish, impressive if it's aged 30 days, that's not cheese.

I used to like the cheapo own brand tesco's crap for cheese toasties, way more sharp than the average stuff around here :)

actually heres another one in defense of the cabot vermont sharp cheddar

additionally the cabot butter is the closest i can get to uk style butter (i.e. not some suhary bollocks)

Redlippie Dec 13th 2007 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass (Post 5664924)
I LOVE wensyldale cheese, but can't find it over here so make do with vermont white cheddar.

Whole Foods in Tampa????? WHere??

There isn't a single cheddar cheese in this place that is up to my standard of sharpness.

As to the question, there is only one type of cheese that I will NOT be eating ;) I adore cheese.

Mallory, you deserve 100 lashes for saying that I eat synthetic cheese! PUKE!

Roland Hulme Dec 13th 2007 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5664821)
What brand you got there BGTN?

It varies. Normally something cheap.

Cracker barrel?

britex01 Dec 13th 2007 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5662386)
What are some of your favourites?

Without a doubt a strong mature cheddar, direct from Cheddar Gorge in Somerset. On toast - wonderful! I also like Dutch Gouda, Edam and French brie. The continent has a vast variety of cheeses. The cheese shops in Brugge, Belguim.... unbelievable... stacks of all types for the cheese gourmet. No 'plastic' stuff.

----

Britinsac Dec 13th 2007 9:16 pm

Tillamook is a great substitute for brake pads.

BritGuyTN Dec 13th 2007 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Britinsac (Post 5665743)
Tillamook is a great substitute for brake pads.

don't tell someone from oregon that...

Britinsac Dec 13th 2007 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5665911)
don't tell someone from oregon that...

why? Do they make brake pads up there?

ironporer Dec 13th 2007 11:50 pm

Does "Laughing Cow" quesitos count? IP Jr loves'em.
For me, a nicely aged Manchego, a good Brie or Hot Pepper Cheese (love the Chipotle Chedder slices from Seargents)..

Britinsac Dec 13th 2007 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 5666196)
Does "Laughing Cow" quesitos count? IP Jr loves'em.
For me, a nicely aged Manchego, a good Brie or Hot Pepper Cheese (love the Chipotle Chedder slices from Seargents)..

I love those too! I can eat a whole box before breakfast..they are great spread on hot toast...drool

NC Penguin Dec 14th 2007 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5662386)
So, even though I am supposedly a cook, I do get lazy...

On my own, decided a glass of wine, crackers, bit of fruit, and a lovely cheese assortment sounded like an easy dinner.

Favourites lying around today were:

French Brie
Wisconsin Cheddar (in this case the curds)
Danish Havarti
Smoked Gouda

and a nice new addition...

English White Stilton with Apricots (Trader Joe's btw)

What are some of your favourites?

I like real feta (not made of cow's milk), goat cheese and (grilled) halloumi. The only American cheese I can tolerate (that I've tried) is the extra sharp Cabot (the block stuff).

I don't like cheese on my burgers either. I'm a fussy bugger.

Tracym: how do Americans eat cheese curds? I've seen them in my local SuperTarget but don't have a clue about how they're eaten.

NC Penguin Dec 14th 2007 12:09 am

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5664830)

Yuck! Any cheese from a can is an insult to a cow...

Rushman Dec 14th 2007 12:13 am

After 4 years I am sick to death of cheese. Cheese grated on salad, cheese on burgers, cheese on this cheese on that, 3 cheese pizza's..4 cheese pizza's with extra cheese.

i wouldnt care if i never saw another piece of cheese again in my life...especially the utter crap that passes for cheese over here.

Tracym Dec 14th 2007 12:15 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 5666229)
I like real feta (not made of cow's milk), goat cheese and (grilled) halloumi. The only American cheese I can tolerate (that I've tried) is the extra sharp Cabot (the block stuff).

I don't like cheese on my burgers either. I'm a fussy bugger.

Tracym: how do Americans eat cheese curds? I've seen them in my local SuperTarget but don't have a clue about how they're eaten.

Actually, I don't like cheese on a burger either. Marinated grilled veggies now....

How to eat a cheese curd: pick up, put in mouth, chew.

Seriously, they're just a snack. I'm trying to figure out how they are different from regular cheese though - mostly the texture probably. When I've had them, they're generally Wisconsin cheese, and I do like the Wisconsin cheddar. But if you don't like the cheese they're from, not sure if you will like them either.