British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Cheese (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/cheese-499495/)

ugacrew Dec 13th 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Cheese

Originally Posted by hatfield1 (Post 5664775)
easy cheese:eek:

All hail the cheese from the can!

http://www.bernerfoods.com/Images/pa...eseaerosol.jpg

BritGuyTN Dec 13th 2007 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5664821)
What brand you got there BGTN?

kraft 2% extra sharp

similar to the sharp orange crap from kroger

BritGuyTN Dec 13th 2007 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5664830)

enough of that

you've defiled a fairly respectable thread by posting that picture

ugacrew Dec 13th 2007 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5664836)
kraft 2% extra sharp

similar to the sharp orange crap from kroger

THAT my friend is your problem. You need to go for a regional brand. Tillamook is really good. You might want to go to a wine and cheese shop and check there. Kraft is way too easy a choice and too massed produced.

hatfield1 Dec 13th 2007 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5664830)

WOOOOoooooo…. The full spread…… Yes defile…. defile….screw the crackers just spray it in my face…… :lol:

ugacrew Dec 13th 2007 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5664838)
enough of that

you've defiled a fairly respectable thread by posting that picture

Mwahahaha!

Bob Dec 13th 2007 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 5664801)
Get some Tillamonk or Cabot, they're both good.

Your joking? most of the cabot stuff is rubbish...not tried the other one though.

There is certainly a lot of good cheese around though, but the own brand cheap stuff is utter rubbish, impressive if it's aged 30 days, that's not cheese.

I used to like the cheapo own brand tesco's crap for cheese toasties, way more sharp than the average stuff around here :)

Bob Dec 13th 2007 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5664848)
THAT my friend is your problem. You need to go for a regional brand. Tillamook is really good. You might want to go to a wine and cheese shop and check there. Kraft is way too easy a choice and too massed produced.

That's the thing, there is good cheese, but it's not cheap....even the own brand rubbish back in blighty had more bite to it than a lot of the bland stuff around here.

Saying that, trader joes and whole foods do have excellent choices, but tad pricey for a lot of it.

yorkshirelass Dec 13th 2007 4:55 pm

I LOVE wensyldale cheese, but can't find it over here so make do with vermont white cheddar.

YorkshirePudding Dec 13th 2007 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5662386)
So, even though I am supposedly a cook, I do get lazy...

On my own, decided a glass of wine, crackers, bit of fruit, and a lovely cheese assortment sounded like an easy dinner.

Favourites lying around today were:

French Brie
Wisconsin Cheddar (in this case the curds)
Danish Havarti
Smoked Gouda

and a nice new addition...

English White Stilton with Apricots (Trader Joe's btw)

What are some of your favourites?

Velveeta and Kraft Singles!! No, just kidding...

I like all blue cheeses; stilton and saint agur are my favourites. I live in Wisconsin, so I get very good cheeses from the farmers market...really strong goats cheese, mature swiss, all different kinds of smoked cheeses, etc. Sharper the better for me...

Tracym Dec 13th 2007 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by YorkshirePudding (Post 5664934)
Velveeta and Kraft Singles!! No, just kidding...

I like all blue cheeses; stilton and saint agur are my favourites. I live in Wisconsin, so I get very good cheeses from the farmers market...really strong goats cheese, mature swiss, all different kinds of smoked cheeses, etc. Sharper the better for me...

lol Kraft Singles.

A friend gave me a giant pack of the stuff (she got 3 by mistake). I'm not eating plastic.... but my friends who were visiting in the summer love the stuff (ewww). So I brought it up that summer, and they ate it all (good, all gone).

Then I discover, friend's husband (the Kraft-lover) as they were leaving bought me ANOTHER giant pack of the stuff!

Just when I was celebrating it being all gone....

Bob Dec 13th 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass (Post 5664924)
I LOVE wensyldale cheese, but can't find it over here so make do with vermont white cheddar.

Whole Foods has some lovely Wensyldale, from blighty too...not cheap, but i've seen it on sale a few times :)

YorkshirePudding Dec 13th 2007 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5664943)
lol Kraft Singles.

A friend gave me a giant pack of the stuff (she got 3 by mistake). I'm not eating plastic.... but my friends who were visiting in the summer love the stuff (ewww). So I brought it up that summer, and they ate it all (good, all gone).

Then I discover, friend's husband (the Kraft-lover) as they were leaving bought me ANOTHER giant pack of the stuff!

Just when I was celebrating it being all gone....

I've got to say, I do snack on chicken in a biscuit crackers and easy cheese from a can!!

yorkshirelass Dec 13th 2007 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5664958)
Whole Foods has some lovely Wensyldale, from blighty too...not cheap, but i've seen it on sale a few times :)

I am going to head on down to the local Whole Foods (or is it Wild Oats?) in Tampa and check out the cheese aisle then. Thanks!

Hiro11 Dec 13th 2007 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5664878)
Your joking? most of the cabot stuff is rubbish...not tried the other one though.

:blink: Respectfully disagree. In particular, Cabot Extra Shap (black wax) is great cheddar. Available pretty much everywhere for cheap.