Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Cheapest Shipping California-UK??

Cheapest Shipping California-UK??

Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ellie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to all
Default Cheapest Shipping California-UK??

Can anyone recommend the cheapest shipping co please. I have very limited funds and need to ship bedroom set, sofa, dining table and a few other items.Thank you
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest Shipping California-UK??

If your funds are limited maybe you should not ship anything back and buy when you return?
Old Mar 17th 2011, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Ellie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to allEllie-May is a name known to all

I am trying to work out whether it will be cheaper to ship than buy. I moved here 3 years ago after selling my house and I left everything,I mean everything behind . I do not work as I am unable too due to my illness and I am wondering whether I should ship my bedroom set which cost $3000,sofa and dining table as I will not be able to afford to buy equivalent in the UK. They are the only things I own. I am returning as I cannot afford my health insurance and I need between $5000-$10000 per month in procedures every month.My husband was laid off nearly 18 months ago.. I dont think I will be able to sell my things for very much and there is zero chance that I will ever recover and be able to work It is so difficult to decide what to do for the best.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We wouldn't take furniture due to the size, here our couch is 8 feet long and bulky, no way it's fit in a UK house (that we could afford to live in) so we are leaving it all. I'm not into fancy stuff so IKEA will do me once we are back. I could probably buy a table, chairs, two or three beds, and a couch for less than the shipping cost. We'll box up a few kitchen bits (my favorite pans no dishes or cutlery) and boxes of photo albums and keepsakes and replace the rest cheap.
I have now discovered two facebook pages that are for selling/buying and giving stuff away in my hometown UK I bet there are pages for pretty much everywhere. I browse often and see just about everything you need to set up house.
Sorry to hear of your health problems, hope you manage to get home soon.
If you sell anyting, try www.craigslist.org
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

We moved from the bay area back last August.
We shipped about 200 cu ft. No real furniture. Mostly boxes.
So think transit van - not much more.
Ours was about $3000.
Quotes varied from $2500 to $5000.

HTH
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I don't think it's going to be worth shipping unless it's really great stuff, don't forget you have to add on insurance costs and then sometimes they want more money at customs.