Cheap rent

Old May 27th 2004, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

ninaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheap rent

We are trying everything to find a way to move back to britain.Since mortgages seems so difficult to get, we might rent a place for a year or two. Does anyone know if there are anywhere one can find cheap houses to rent?
We dont need a perfect place.
We thought maybe a house which has been on the marked a long time. Over here you can offer to do some work on the property, painting, small repairs ,serious gardening etc.
and get a cheap rent. Then the owner can sell the property easier, when you leave.
Maybe this isnt done in UK??
Any thoughts?
Old May 27th 2004, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Depends........
What area are you thinking of? That would be a start....

Once you know the area, then do a search for letting agents and Email them for the info......
You could also ask family/friends to get local papers to see if theres anything there...

Some people do rent cheap if you do work on the house... BUT... Bearing in mind it is cold and damp in UK and houses are not built the same as other countries, I would be careful you don't take on too much and end up living in a dump.....
Old May 28th 2004, 1:40 am
mickj

Default Re: Cheap rent

If you are looking at london, try S.E London, that is the best you are going to get, and there is a lot to explore and see in london. Greenwich park, and cutty sark are good areas for a good pub sunday roast, to walk around, and to chillout and read the papers.

Originally posted by ninaf
We are trying everything to find a way to move back to britain.Since mortgages seems so difficult to get, we might rent a place for a year or two. Does anyone know if there are anywhere one can find cheap houses to rent?
We thought maybe a house which has been on the marked a long time. Over here you can offer to do some work on the property, painting, small repairs ,serious gardening etc.
and get a cheap rent. Then the owner can sell the property easier, when you leave.
Any thoughts?

Old May 28th 2004, 10:09 am
Just Joined

ninaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mickj
If you are looking at london, try S.E London, that is the best you are going to get, and there is a lot to explore and see in london. Greenwich park, and cutty sark are good areas for a good pub sunday roast, to walk around, and to chillout and read the papers.
Hm..I like the "good pub sunday roast, to walk around, and to chillout and read the papers." bit, but we are bringing over 6 of our kids, so I think that will have to come later.....
Newspapers is a good idea, I ll try that.
Someone here going to Norway to work? we have a lovly house to rent out.....
We are looking in Oxfordshire area, we would mostly like Didcot .
Old May 28th 2004, 1:34 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by ninaf
Any thoughts?
I'm currently in london and i dont seem to recall seeing any to let signs. dont know if there is a law in place to regulate signs, considering a 2 months back they were an eyesore. also talked to one letting agent and he mentioned that letting properties are being snapped quickly. could be him just hyping me up. will see a second agent this afternoon. i'll also try and see whats happening with the signage. looks like its a landlords market.
Old May 28th 2004, 4:45 pm
Wiggle

There is a housing market boom here at the meoment and for the most part it is because people are buying houses specifically to rent / let out. Infact because everyone is trying to do it, that means that there are generally zillions of them available.

What you should do is first decide on the towns/area that you want to live. Then search the internet for Estate Agents in the nearest town. They will have listings of all flats(apartments) and houses that are for rent. They will probably also have web sites.

If you can, I would also call them and ask for name sof other estate agents in their town that also has proprty to let, they will usually oblige especially as you are calling long distance.

Heres a starter for you http://www.wheresmyproperty.com/agents/Didcot.htm

hope it helps

Old May 30th 2004, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

ThemeOne is an unknown quantity at this point

I would imagine that, despite the glut of buy-to-let properties on the market, you may still get a shock at the cost of renting a property large enough to house yourselves and 6 children in Didcot. Oxfordshire counts as part of the south-east which is the most expensive part of the country.

You might find Northamptonshire better value - and it's right next door to Oxfordshire.

Also ex-council properties are often cheaper to rent. Some are really nice, but some, shall we say, don't always come with the nicest neighbours.
Old May 30th 2004, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

heres some 3 bed didcot properties.....
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/rm/action...mit_dosearch=1

this is a good site to look for property...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/rm/svr/1035

We have 4 kids and can choose a 3 bed not so great house in Langley Berks for GBP750, to a nicer 4 bed for GBP 1000.

There are cheaper properties in the local papers, but can't do anything till we get there. The problem is that some of the properties listed in the paper are not nice at all and from experience you may get a slum landlord that won't fix things.....
Just make sure whatever you rent, get a proper contract.....