Cheap courier in the UK?

Old Oct 28th 2002, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

foolish501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheap courier in the UK?

Well only a week to go until i move over to the states. I've got a large box worth of stuff i want to send over. It weighs around 25kilos. Parcelfarce have quoted me £98, anybody know of anywhere cheaper ? It will need to be insured, as its got xmas presents in (probably £1000 worth of goods all in)
Old Oct 28th 2002, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cheap courier in the UK?

Would excess baggage charges on the airline be cheaper? or is the box too big and too prohibitive for that.
Old Oct 28th 2002, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by robclews
Would excess baggage charges on the airline be cheaper? or is the box too big and too prohibitive for that.

The box is a 17" monitor box, 25kg. I'm having to catch a coach from south wales to london gatwick, so have no way of getting the box thru. Also, my wife's car is a sports car, and can only fit one suitcase in the trunk, the other case has to go on the back seat.
Old Oct 28th 2002, 8:41 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there, Are you travelling on the National Express Airlink? My now husband used to get on that bus from Swansea to Heathrow, and i think they have restrictions on the size of the luggage. Im not sure but you had best check. Just out of curiosity have you tried any of the freight companies in South Wales i know there is a few that do sea freight in South Wales near Cardiff and Swansea, i realise that it isnt an ideal solution but it may save you an arm and a leg, they do plastic wrap and shrink wrap everything also and i think they can insure it.

Just and Idea as i know the airlines cost an arm and a leg for that.

Dymuniadau gorau
Old Oct 28th 2002, 9:15 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by foolish501
Well only a week to go until i move over to the states. I've got a large box worth of stuff i want to send over. It weighs around 25kilos. Parcelfarce have quoted me £98, anybody know of anywhere cheaper ? It will need to be insured, as its got xmas presents in (probably £1000 worth of goods all in)
Hi you'd better watch customs don't get you at the other end if there are gifts in the box.....

Sam.
Old Oct 28th 2002, 10:50 pm
Mrtravel

I am flying there (LHR) and back on Dec 28 if that isn't too late.
I won't be taking any baggage as I will only be there for a few hours.
If it is going to Chicago or the San Jose/Santa Cruz area, I would take
it.
(Mark this down under stupid frequent flyer tricks)

foolish501 wrote:
    > Well only a week to go until i move over to the states. I've got a large
    > box worth of stuff i want to send over. It weighs around 25kilos.
    > Parcelfarce have quoted me £98, anybody know of anywhere cheaper ? It
    > will need to be insured, as its got xmas presents in (probably £1000
    > worth of goods all in)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 29th 2002, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

I've taken the 2 suitcases i'm taken on national express before, so shouldn't be a problem with that.

Originally posted by K
Hey there, Are you travelling on the National Express Airlink? My now husband used to get on that bus from Swansea to Heathrow, and i think they have restrictions on the size of the luggage. Im not sure but you had best check. Just out of curiosity have you tried any of the freight companies in South Wales i know there is a few that do sea freight in South Wales near Cardiff and Swansea, i realise that it isnt an ideal solution but it may save you an arm and a leg, they do plastic wrap and shrink wrap everything also and i think they can insure it.

Just and Idea as i know the airlines cost an arm and a leg for that.

Dymuniadau gorau
Old Oct 31st 2002, 1:40 am
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep suitcases should be fine, Dave bought and took few with him when he used to come and go. They are pretty reasonable.