British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Cheap accomodation in London (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/cheap-accomodation-london-903682/)

teza Sep 22nd 2017 12:37 pm

Cheap accomodation in London

In 1997-98 me (Finnish) and hubby (Aussie) hooked up in London, first living together at my nursing quarters at St Mary's hospital. Later on we found this jewel on Lancaster Gate, called Lancaster House. Large house turned into tiniest of flats with beds, tv, tiny kitchen and shared bathroom with 3 other flats. Reckon the whole thing held 20 small flats, all at £100-140/wk per flat.

Not ideal setting but there is that 18yr old son of mine travelling around on tuna budget so thought I'd ask, anyone know something similar, not a hostel but as I described or similar, looking at W2 area 30km radius if posiible. As I said, long shot!

spouse of scouse Sep 22nd 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Cheap accomodation in London

Originally Posted by teza (Post 12343972)
In 1997-98 me (Finnish) and hubby (Aussie) hooked up in London, first living together at my nursing quarters at St Mary's hospital. Later on we found this jewel on Lancaster Gate, called Lancaster House. Large house turned into tiniest of flats with beds, tv, tiny kitchen and shared bathroom with 3 other flats. Reckon the whole thing held 20 small flats, all at £100-140/wk per flat.

Not ideal setting but there is that 18yr old son of mine travelling around on tuna budget so thought I'd ask, anyone know something similar, not a hostel but as I described or similar, looking at W2 area 30km radius if posiible. As I said, long shot!

Best bet is Airbnb, Tez. I just had a quick look and saw a single room in a student flat in Lambeth for $53 per night (that's Aussie dollars). Have a squiz, there's lots of choice
https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/1793...ts=1&infants=0

scot47 Sep 22nd 2017 2:54 pm

I think there IS no cheap accommodation in London ! Good luck with your search.

az2014 Sep 22nd 2017 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12344082)
I think there IS no cheap accommodation in London ! Good luck with your search.

Agreed.

spouse of scouse Sep 22nd 2017 3:19 pm

AU$53 per night sounds pretty cheap to me.

robin1234 Sep 22nd 2017 4:35 pm

Some hotels are surpringly inexpensive. Last couple of years, I've favoured Sussex Gardens, near Paddington Station. Nice quiet street with dozens of reasonably priced small hotels, typical four storey terraced houses built in the early nineteenth century. I usually stay at a really nice one, double is usually about £140 and a single about £110. I thought I'd try a different one, single was £75. It was really good quality, no lift though.

az2014 Sep 22nd 2017 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12344102)
AU$53 per night sounds pretty cheap to me.

Did you even try to book that place you linked to see the real price?

Its AUD$71 plus all the fees make it over $90.

christmasoompa Sep 22nd 2017 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by az2014 (Post 12344177)

$90 is still pretty cheap for central London, but the pricing will depend on the date - it's from $53, but most Air BnB hosts choose to have the 'smart pricing' option, which means the price increases the more people are looking at the date or the closer it is.

Best bet might be for the OP's son to look just outside London but commutable to the centre, for cheaper options.

teza Sep 22nd 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks everyone for replies, he's been in hostels for last few weeks, was just wondering if something like where we stayed was still around. He's also doing airbnb at the moment.

scot47 Sep 23rd 2017 2:10 am

£75 a night is CHEAP ??????

Struth !

spouse of scouse Sep 23rd 2017 3:21 am

Originally Posted by az2014 (Post 12344177)

Actually, for a 7 night stay it works out at less than $80 a night including fees, most places give discounts for stays of a week or longer.

The nightly price usually depends on the time of year. And it was just an example, there are hundreds of places available and I'm sure most people are more than capable of browsing what's on offer.

If you think that around £40 a night for accommodation in central London is expensive, then good luck to you. I happen to think it isn't, and if you want to argue the toss go and find someone who has the time and inclination to do that with you, because I don't.

Hope your son's having a ball seeing the sights and meeting new people Teza. I bet you miss him!

az2014 Sep 23rd 2017 11:07 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12344520)
Actually, for a 7 night stay it works out at less than $80 a night including fees, most places give discounts for stays of a week or longer.

The nightly price usually depends on the time of year. And it was just an example, there are hundreds of places available and I'm sure most people are more than capable of browsing what's on offer.

If you think that around £40 a night for accommodation in central London is expensive, then good luck to you. I happen to think it isn't, and if you want to argue the toss go and find someone who has the time and inclination to do that with you, because I don't.

Hope your son's having a ball seeing the sights and meeting new people Teza. I bet you miss him!

Actually $80 is closer to £50.

OP asked if there is still anywhere available for £15/£20 a night. Apart from hostels, or actually renting a short term place there isnt.

<snip>

teza Sep 23rd 2017 11:49 am

He's crashing on mates couch ATM but has not spent more than £90 a week on accomodation in last 2 months

robin1234 Sep 23rd 2017 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by teza (Post 12344711)
He's crashing on mates couch ATM but has not spent more than £90 a week on accomodation in last 2 months

That's impressive! I'm afraid as we get older we get to rely on our comforts and forget the merits of low cost living. (I used to be a youth hostel warden, & I remember when a bed in a simple youth hostel was what - eight shillings a night? Mattress was army surplus, horsehair, not memory foam.)

spouse of scouse Sep 23rd 2017 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by az2014 (Post 12344691)
Actually $80 is closer to £50.

OP asked if there is still anywhere available for £15/£20 a night. Apart from hostels, or actually renting a short term place there isnt.

<snip>

:lol: