Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

chasing the dream creates superficial happiness

chasing the dream creates superficial happiness

Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chasing the dream creates superficial happiness

Originally Posted by Big Pete
the moment the money hits the bank i am on Easyjets fastest plane
And the great thing is, the minute you do decide you want to pop back you can do so for a couple of quid. You can even drive. I've lived in Spain so know how much easier it is to nip back if you want. I never did nip back as there were so many Brits all over the place, English telly in every expat home and more SKY bars than you could count.

It's a lot different when you're miles and many thousands of dollars away.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:48 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shivster
And the great thing is, the minute you do decide you want to pop back you can do so for a couple of quid. You can even drive. I've lived in Spain so know how much easier it is to nip back if you want. I never did nip back as there were so many Brits all over the place, English telly in every expat home and more SKY bars than you could count.

You may be right but my parents are dead my kids arent kids anymore there all grown up so i dont run my life for them , i get out and have my life
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

How true Shivster. I never really considered this fact. Hindsight beautiful thing isn't it.

Big Pete have you lived in another country before?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:05 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tillergirl
How true Shivster. I never really considered this fact. Hindsight beautiful thing isn't it.

Big Pete have you lived in another country before?
Been loads of places 6 months here 6 months there ,,
Switzerland Turkey USA Spain Belgium Germany and even Wales
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:10 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billybaxter
it only creates a superficial happiness.

family and true friends back home are what counts.

friends you meet out here will never ever be the same as your friends back home that you grew up with.

to you maybe - to others definately not.

I dont even see the kids I grew up with as we moved towns, then we grew up, got married and all moved away - which I imagine happens to many many people.

home is where you make it and are happy - if thats an an expat then great, if thats back "home" then great too

just dont think that expats who seem to be happy are just "superfcially happy" .... coz in my case you're very wrong - and with many others I'm sure
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

tillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to alltillergirl is a name known to all

Been loads of places 6 months here 6 months there ,,
Switzerland Turkey USA Spain Belgium Germany and even Wales
How lucky. You must have had some great experiences.

However, lots of people on here are in OZ and NZ. As Shivster has said they are thousands of miles and dollars away from home. You can only sympathise with these people. You can't empathise as you've never been where they are.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

I think myself lucky. I'm only in the US so it's just seven hours for me to get home and I can usually get a ticket for about $600(US). Not that I actually have that kind of money at the moment!

I don't know how you lot in Oz, NZ and SA do it! Kudos to you all for going there in the first place.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

I think myself lucky. I'm only in the US so it's just seven hours for me to get home and I can usually get a ticket for about $600(US). Not that I actually have that kind of money at the moment!

I don't know how you lot in Oz, NZ and SA do it! Kudos to you all for going there in the first place.
I'm finding it impossible.

We are going home in September. Our plan is to give it up to a year to make sure it's what myself and our 12 year old want. If it is we will send for our stuff. If by some miracle we want to come back we will. I doubt the latter, but never say never.

NZ is so beautiful. Full of natural wonders but i miss being close to Europe's culture. Most of all i miss my family and friends.

Do you intend to return soon?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:27 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I find it quite strange that Pete has this "one size fits all" attitude to everyones circumstances. Not everyone has the same life of circumstances and not all people leave UK for the same reasons.

Take me for example. I met, fell in love and married a New Zealander who was working in Oxford at the time. My kids from first marriage had grown up and flown the nest.
We decided to go travel for a bit. My father in law got cancer and my husband wanted to go spend quality time with his dad before it was too late. Of course i went with him. After he died we decided to hop over the ditch to Aus.
In the mean time the kids got hitched up and both decide to start a family. Now i want to go home to be with them.

Each familys' circumstances are different and to lump it all together and say if you love your family you shouldnt travel is utter rubbish.
As you travel through life things change and the goal posts are moved.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I find it quite strange that Pete has this "one size fits all" attitude to everyones circumstances. Not everyone has the same life of circumstances and not all people leave UK for the same reasons.

Take me for example. I met, fell in love and married a New Zealander who was working in Oxford at the time. My kids from first marriage had grown up and flown the nest.
We decided to go travel for a bit. My father in law got cancer and my husband wanted to go spend quality time with his dad before it was too late. Of course i went with him. After he died we decided to hop over the ditch to Aus.
In the mean time the kids got hitched up and both decide to start a family. Now i want to go home to be with them.

Each familys' circumstances are different and to lump it all together and say if you love your family you shouldnt travel is utter rubbish.
As you travel through life things change and the goal posts are moved.
How true.

Great post.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Do you intend to return soon?
I've just started the pet passport so I've got a bit of a wait yet. If it wasn't for that I'd have borrowed some money from my parents and scarpered by now. I've got an interview for a new job next week which should make it easier for me to at least go back for a visit.

Good luck to you. Not long to go now.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
to you maybe - to others definately not.

I dont even see the kids I grew up with as we moved towns, then we grew up, got married and all moved away - which I imagine happens to many many people.

home is where you make it and are happy - if thats an an expat then great, if thats back "home" then great too

just dont think that expats who seem to be happy are just "superfcially happy" .... coz in my case you're very wrong - and with many others I'm sure
Aye, I'm with you there. Last time I spoke with a school "friend" was the day I left school (except the one who also went to college with me but that's different). College mates flew to the far corners of the UK and although I've occasionally caught up with them on visits home, for an evening of beer and curry and a great catch-up, it's very much a "one night fling" type experience (and tiring havint=g to drive all over). Many friends are circumstantial, I fear - whoever you work with, live close to, etc., ends up being your friend. Move somewhere else, you drift apart. Some old friendships endure but they are the exceptions, I think. Family are a slightly different kettle of fish.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Aye, I'm with you there. Last time I spoke with a school "friend" was the day I left school (except the one who also went to college with me but that's different). College mates flew to the far corners of the UK and although I've occasionally caught up with them on visits home, for an evening of beer and curry and a great catch-up, it's very much a "one night fling" type experience (and tiring havint=g to drive all over). Many friends are circumstantial, I fear - whoever you work with, live close to, etc., ends up being your friend. Move somewhere else, you drift apart. Some old friendships endure but they are the exceptions, I think. Family are a slightly different kettle of fish.

move away, yes i did 5 yrs ago however my uk friends keep in touch and not just by email .....i'm always getting little cards in the post, phone calls... birthday, christmas they never forget! the family on the other hand, forget them i have
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

How lucky. You must have had some great experiences.

However, lots of people on here are in OZ and NZ. As Shivster has said they are thousands of miles and dollars away from home. You can only sympathise with these people. You can't empathise as you've never been where they are.
yes travelling is one thing however living in a place lock stock and barrel that is another and BP has not done that yet.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

i am adding positivity

I just handle the stuff others are scared to handle , not my fault , and if they want advice on moving back matters etc ,,i am here at there disposal
You know what they say...if you haven't got anything good to say...don't say anything. I think you would do well to apply that to this forum.

I am sure your threads/posts in the Spanish forum are much appreciated...but you really don't belong in this forum do you? By your own admission you can't leave the UK fast enough...so please do us all a favour and keep your negative comments to yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.