Changing USD into GBP

Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing USD into GBP

Need to give DS money to take home with him, just a couple hundred, and wondered if he would be better of exchanging it here at the US airport or better to change it up once he lands at Gatwick. Or will it work out about the same do you think?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing USD into GBP

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Need to give DS money to take home with him, just a couple hundred, and wondered if he would be better of exchanging it here at the US airport or better to change it up once he lands at Gatwick. Or will it work out about the same do you think?
Noooo not at the airport...crap rate. M&S have good exchange rates and don't charge a fee...but he would need to go into a M&S store.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh thats a really good idea - I used to go to M&S but he's not going to be able to get to one. Will the airport rates be really bad do you think?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 2:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh thats a really good idea - I used to go to M&S but he's not going to be able to get to one. Will the airport rates be really bad do you think?
Call your bank and ask them what the cost would be...normally exchanging money at the airport is expensive.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Post Office in UK. I did pretty well with them exchanging Dollars for pounds. There's more of them about than M&S.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
What about the Post Office in UK. I did pretty well with them exchanging Dollars for pounds. There's more of them about than M&S.
Oooh yes there are lots of them.... do all post offices exchange then?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:24 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the difference in exchange is worth worrying about on a couple of hundred when compared to his comfort and security. I'd send him with cash and perhaps some travelers cheques for safety. And perhaps a money belt or pouch? Not that I think he'll get robbed, but it can be easy to lose a wallet, or pull notes out of a pocket with gloves and things, so splitting it up and having some of it tucked away might be good.

Have sons.*G*

Bev
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Why not use your US ATM card to take out GBP at the airport? Exchange rates are usually better than the poxy rates you get at the airport Bureau de Change. There's an international fee with some ATM and CC cards, but it's usually only a couple of dollars.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
Why not use your US ATM card to take out GBP at the airport? Exchange rates are usually better than the poxy rates you get at the airport Bureau de Change. There's an international fee with some ATM and CC cards, but it's usually only a couple of dollars.
Can you select GBP from a US ATM? I have a cards for UK and US accounts,I just never being able to select any other currency but USD from a US ATM.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bevm
I don't think the difference in exchange is worth worrying about on a couple of hundred when compared to his comfort and security. I'd send him with cash and perhaps some travelers cheques for safety. And perhaps a money belt or pouch? Not that I think he'll get robbed, but it can be easy to lose a wallet, or pull notes out of a pocket with gloves and things, so splitting it up and having some of it tucked away might be good.

Have sons.*G*

Bev
Good ideas Bev. I've lost money myself and know how easy it was to do.... and how demented it made me when I kept looking for it!!! :curse:
I'm already coming down heavy on him about how he absolutely must keep his passport, greencard and ticket duct taped into his hand at all times and how NOT to touch/carry anyone elses bags, don't say the word 'jihad' and how to go through the green 'nothing to declare' door and stay away from the red!! Not to mention the extra duvet I am forcing him to pack. Now I'll have to give him the money lecture when he gets in from school. Poor kid. I reckon he'll be glad to see the back of me LOL
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Can you select GBP from a US ATM? I have a cards for UK and US accounts,I just never being able to select any other currency but USD from a US ATM.
You would use it at the airport in the UK when you land if you want GBP.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You would use it at the airport in the UK when you land if you want GBP.
hmmm yes I thought that may be what Dunroving meant but I am not travelling with him so I can't and he does not have..... oh no wait, he DOES have a bank account here so perhaps I should just put the money in his account here and presto, he can draw out GBP at Gatwick..... now why didn't I think of that!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:38 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm yes I thought that may be what Dunroving meant but I am not travelling with him so I can't and he does not have..... oh no wait, he DOES have a bank account here so perhaps I should just put the money in his account here and presto, he can draw out GBP at Gatwick..... now why didn't I think of that!
Yes, that's what I meant. Use a US ATM card to withdraw money from a UK ATM in the UK airport. I always do this and it beats the exchange rate you get at the bank and ESPECIALLY the exchange rate you get at the airport bureau de change. Only time it's probably not worth it is if you are wothdrawing a very small amount (because then the $3 international transaction fee outweighs the better exchange rate).

However, he should probably call his US bank before he leaves (and his US CC company, if he's going to use it over there), and tell them he'll be in the UK. Otherwise his card may be blocked.