Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Changing from Australian (ACT) school to uk school

Changing from Australian (ACT) school to uk school

Old Apr 24th 2012, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing from Australian (ACT) school to uk school

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have a question here about the bolded part
So does this mean a British citizen cannot even get a loan in the UK for uni unless they have been in the UK for 3 years. I understand the international fees part, but loans?
I can't answer your question I'm afraid as I don't think my son's girlfriend tried to apply for a loan. I can only quote what it says on the website:

To qualify for student finance as a student from England, you will need to meet all of the residence requirements. Generally, on the first day of the academic year in which your course starts, you must:
be a UK national or have 'settled status' in the UK (under the terms of the Immigration Act 1971)
be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England
have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before starting the course - and not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education
Students who are settled in the UK may also be eligible if they have exercised a right of residence in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland before returning to the UK to study.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...rted/DG_171574

Maybe you should contact them and ask them directly? If I were you I'd do it by email so that you have something in writing if they say your child would be eligible for a loan, just in case they change their minds later.

I don't really understand brits1's answer when she says her son didn't need a loan. I thought all students had to take out a loan for tuition fees, even if they qualified for a maintenance grant due to their parents being on a low income. It could be she's living in Scotland or Wales where the rules are different.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:57 am
Applying for ILR

Lizandphil is a jewel in the roughLizandphil is a jewel in the roughLizandphil is a jewel in the roughLizandphil is a jewel in the roughLizandphil is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by petrichor
I can't answer your question I'm afraid as I don't think my son's girlfriend tried to apply for a loan. I can only quote what it says on the website:

To qualify for student finance as a student from England, you will need to meet all of the residence requirements. Generally, on the first day of the academic year in which your course starts, you must:
be a UK national or have 'settled status' in the UK (under the terms of the Immigration Act 1971)
have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before starting the course - and not wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education
Students who are settled in the UK may also be eligible if they have exercised a right of residence in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland before returning to the UK to study.

Maybe you should contact them and ask them directly? If I were you I'd do it by email so that you have something in writing if they say your child would be eligible for a loan, just in case they change their minds later.

I don't really understand brits1's answer when she says her son didn't need a loan. I thought all students had to take out a loan for tuition fees, even if they qualified for a maintenance grant due to their parents being on a low income. It could be she's living in Scotland or Wales where the rules are different.
Thanks everyone for your experiences and don't worry none of the answers are putting me off. Whilst I am worried about my daughter adapting I am also aware that the A'level route isn't the only one. If anything I'm feeling more optimistic as the general consensus is that it's do-able and the schools are supportive.
I am aware of the 3 yr rule for uni fees and I think if my daughter decides to go to uni I the uk (her current plan) we will have clocked up at least 2 by then and probably more if we don't go straight into A' levels so she won't need to wait too long to classify as a home student.
Sometimes it helps just to air your worries and get some feedback - it's good to know the pitfalls and what to look out for.
This has also given me a bit more impetus for contacting the schools (again) and to be a bit more pushy about getting answers.
Thank you!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so your son did complete year 11, though, and repeated some of year 12. While there might not be any exams in year 11 the standard of work is probably similar between the countries, and I think (as another poster responded) the school may be concerned and may require a child to do at least some GCSEs. There are many schools that won't admit students onto A' Level courses without at least a GCSE grade B. I appreciate your experience was different but so was your situation and I still think this is something the OP should be aware of, and not blindly come over assuming everything will be okay and her child can start at any school doing any A' Levels they want.

Other things I stated are also important to bear in mind, particularly the fact that good universities won't take students with 2 A' Levels, as another poster said the child might be advised to take only 3 AS levels and drop one in the second year. University education in the UK isn't generally at the same standard it was 20 years ago. It's comparatively easy to get a place, but getting a place at a good university is just as hard as ever. It depends on what level the OP's child is working at, but many schools will discourage a child from over-stretching themselves because fails look bad on their league table results. I didn't say that universities won't take students without A' Levels. They do this all the time, and presumably your son had his year 13 exams from Australia?

On home student status, you'll see from my posts that I was referring specifically to getting a loan, not what the university classed the student as. (I don't really understand why your son didn't need a loan, even for tuition fees?). As I said, it states clearly on the student loan application criteria that the student must have been resident in the UK or the EU for three years prior to enrolment, and I recall this is a box you must tick on the form. My son's girlfriend is a British citizen but grew up in another country and she had to pay overseas fees to study in the UK.
No he only did 4 weeks of year 12 and my neighbour who is from Sydney her son did not finish year 11 in Aus and was also able to do A levels, our son went to 3 colleges and all said he could either do GCSE's, A levels or Btecs or whatever else he chose to do. You don't even need to have A levels to attend Uni you can do a Btec and have GCSE's....Our oldest son was offered a place at Salford Uni, Man Met and also Liverpool and our youngest has been offered places at Sheffield, Man Met and Derby all with just 3 GCSE's and an Advanced Btec......Our eldest son did not need a loan as he worked and saved up for a year ( he deferred is Uni place for a year so he could do this) enough so he could pay for his tuition which is something our youngest son has now decided he is going to do....and as I said we have found the teachers to be a lot more flexible with overseas students than we found in W.A.....our son also knows of 3 new students who started at the local High School who started in the December where overseas students and are just about to start their GCSE exams and English is also their second language. As I said our sons have been classed as Home students....we filled in all the forms correctly I actually phoned and contacted the Uni directly to let them know of our situation and was granted HOME students. Oh my neighbour was also nearly put off by not returning home because of well meant info. but as in our case it was also the same for her family, it was not as hard as we were given to think.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:17 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lizandphil
Thanks CEM, I hope you don't mind if I quiz you a bit - its so good to find someone who has been through this.
My son will be 12 (he will have just started year 7 here) when we go so I'm hoping he will just slot in as he will start there well and truly before the GCSE courses start - do you know if they assess kids coming in from overseas?
My daughter will be 16 and will have done a few months of year 11 here. My original plan was to get a tutor for Alex (my daughter) and get her through the GCSE maths and english courses ready to take the exams when we get there, based on the idea that they are still the two fundamental subjects that universities want for entry along with A'levels and that it would give her experience of sitting very formal exams. I haven't got very far with this as I can't find a tutor - I would be ok getting her through them I think if I had the time but we struggle to get everything done as it is.
I have contacted one school in the UK - the one we are most likely to go to and got a reply from the lower school (not sure what they call it really) but no reply from the head of the 6th form. My next plan was to contact the local ed authority for any advice and guidelines.
The advice about the A levels sound good - this is the bit that worries me - that the year 10 certificate here means nothing to the schools over there. I am also worried that the leap between year 10 and A'levels will be very big.
I have a friend who taught A'level psychology in england and then came back here to teach yr 11 and 12 psychology and her opinion was that the A'level was significantly harder due to cramming more in and that my daughter would struggle with the change.
I have also thought about investigating alternatives although I'm not sure what they are.
So I have a few things to follow up. Its good to hear that your experience is that the schools provide support for children in this situation. Its something else I can specifically ask about with our possible school.
Thank you so much for responding. I'll let you know how i go...

I just had another thought..... Would you consider the IB? Our girls would have taken it if we'd stayed in Australia and they'd have started it in year 11. You could check with UCAS, but it could get around the GCSE/A level issue. All the universities we're looking at state what IB mark they require for each course alongside the A level grades.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
No he only did 4 weeks of year 12 and my neighbour who is from Sydney her son did not finish year 11 in Aus and was also able to do A levels, our son went to 3 colleges and all said he could either do GCSE's, A levels or Btecs or whatever else he chose to do. You don't even need to have A levels to attend Uni you can do a Btec and have GCSE's....Our oldest son was offered a place at Salford Uni, Man Met and also Liverpool and our youngest has been offered places at Sheffield, Man Met and Derby all with just 3 GCSE's and an Advanced Btec......Our eldest son did not need a loan as he worked and saved up for a year ( he deferred is Uni place for a year so he could do this) enough so he could pay for his tuition which is something our youngest son has now decided he is going to do....and as I said we have found the teachers to be a lot more flexible with overseas students than we found in W.A.....our son also knows of 3 new students who started at the local High School who started in the December where overseas students and are just about to start their GCSE exams and English is also their second language. As I said our sons have been classed as Home students....we filled in all the forms correctly I actually phoned and contacted the Uni directly to let them know of our situation and was granted HOME students. Oh my neighbour was also nearly put off by not returning home because of well meant info. but as in our case it was also the same for her family, it was not as hard as we were given to think.
Brits1, I am glad that your children did so well on returning to the UK, however nothing that I've said it untrue. You are arguing with me about things that I haven't said. I haven't, for example, said that universities won't accept students with no A' Levels. I said that good universities won't accept students with 2 A' Levels. This is true and easily verifiable through looking at admissions criteria. I said this because another poster said the child might be offered the option to take only two A' Levels.

I have also said that there may be a problem applying for student loans. This is also true as I know from the website and from personal experience. As your children didn't apply for a loan I don't see how you can comment on this.

So while I accept you have taken issue with my post based on your experience, I think it's far better that the OP has a good understanding of potential problems, rather than just assuming that everything will go smoothly as it did for you. This particularly applies if the OP's child has a high academic potential and wants to go to a good school, get good results and secure a place at a good university.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:47 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

I agree that 2 A levels wouldn't be enough to secure a place on a highly competitive course at a 'good' university (what a horrible term!), but it is an option worth exploring with the people who are going to be teaching her.

Not knowing the OP's daughter we have no idea of her academic ability or ambitions so I didn't presume that she would neccessarily be looking to go to Oxbridge - I'm sure her new school would be fairly knowledgeable re the admission requirements for that. I wanted to give her some reassurance that there is flexibilty in the system to cater for the needs of her children.
As I said, in our experience, there is always a way forward - it may not be the usual route but there is no need to panic or worry unduly, just arm yourself with as much information as possible and make decisions based on that.

My friend's son has just messed up his AS levels for the second time. He wanted to go to a 1994 group university to do a certain course. He has been rejected for that, but they still want to talk to him about a different course with the possibilty, based on his perfomance after the first year, to transfer onto the course he originally wanted.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Brits1, I am glad that your children did so well on returning to the UK, however nothing that I've said it untrue. You are arguing with me about things that I haven't said. I haven't, for example, said that universities won't accept students with no A' Levels. I said that good universities won't accept students with 2 A' Levels. This is true and easily verifiable through looking at admissions criteria. I said this because another poster said the child might be offered the option to take only two A' Levels.

I have also said that there may be a problem applying for student loans. This is also true as I know from the website and from personal experience. As your children didn't apply for a loan I don't see how you can comment on this.

So while I accept you have taken issue with my post based on your experience, I think it's far better that the OP has a good understanding of potential problems, rather than just assuming that everything will go smoothly as it did for you. This particularly applies if the OP's child has a high academic potential and wants to go to a good school, get good results and secure a place at a good university.
Our children were offered Student loans...they just did not except them as they did not want the debt so both deferred. My Neice has just been accepted at Liverpool Uni (A good Uni) without A levels she has attained a place through doing various access courses. All I am doing is giving encouragement, there is always a way to help a student here both from my own experience, our sons and both friends from overseas and home.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CEM
I agree that 2 A levels wouldn't be enough to secure a place on a highly competitive course at a 'good' university (what a horrible term!), but it is an option worth exploring with the people who are going to be teaching her.

Not knowing the OP's daughter we have no idea of her academic ability or ambitions so I didn't presume that she would neccessarily be looking to go to Oxbridge - I'm sure her new school would be fairly knowledgeable re the admission requirements for that. I wanted to give her some reassurance that there is flexibilty in the system to cater for the needs of her children.
As I said, in our experience, there is always a way forward - it may not be the usual route but there is no need to panic or worry unduly, just arm yourself with as much information as possible and make decisions based on that.

My friend's son has just messed up his AS levels for the second time. He wanted to go to a 1994 group university to do a certain course. He has been rejected for that, but they still want to talk to him about a different course with the possibilty, based on his perfomance after the first year, to transfer onto the course he originally wanted.
Hope all goes well, our eldest started at Salford Uni last year and at the end of his first year he just did not think the course offered him the experience and learning for what he wanted to do in the future so we phoned around the Uni's and explained the situation etc, we then found a Uni with a course more suited to his requirements, the even better news was that the Uni helped go through is first years work and then said he could transfer his work and he could start in the 2nd year of his new course and he's loving it...
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Our eldest son did not need a loan as he worked and saved up for a year ( he deferred is Uni place for a year so he could do this) enough so he could pay for his tuition which is something our youngest son has now decided he is going to do
Our children were offered Student loans...they just did not except them as they did not want the debt so both deferred.
An interesting article here on why paying tuition fees up front may not make the most sense, even if that seems counter intuitive.... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-student-loan
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:42 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

Hope all goes well, our eldest started at Salford Uni last year and at the end of his first year he just did not think the course offered him the experience and learning for what he wanted to do in the future so we phoned around the Uni's and explained the situation etc, we then found a Uni with a course more suited to his requirements, the even better news was that the Uni helped go through is first years work and then said he could transfer his work and he could start in the 2nd year of his new course and he's loving it...

I'm glad it's worked out well for your son. There are so many opportunities and so many ways to get to where you want to be.
I'm sure it'll be fine for our friend's son too - he just lost his way a bit, but he has music as a back up plan and he's thinking that might be the direction he wants to head anyway.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I had already read about government grants and loans, I was thinking privately funded student loans like my older son got here in the US.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Thanks for that, I had already read about government grants and loans, I was thinking privately funded student loans like my older son got here in the US.
MITF, I don't think those kind of US style student loans are as prevalent here in the UK. When we talk about 'student loans' mostly, we would mean the government stuff.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Our children were offered Student loans...they just did not except them as they did not want the debt so both deferred. My Neice has just been accepted at Liverpool Uni (A good Uni) without A levels she has attained a place through doing various access courses. All I am doing is giving encouragement, there is always a way to help a student here both from my own experience, our sons and both friends from overseas and home.
That's interesting - do you know why your eldest son qualified for a loan despite the fact that he hadn't been living in the UK for three years prior to starting uni?

As I said, it's perfectly possible to go to university without A' Levels. There are a number of comparative qualifications that they will accept. However if you're applying with A' Levels then two is frequently not enough.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

CEM, two A' levels wouldn't be enough to secure a place on most courses at most universities, not the just the very best. When I say 'good' I don't mean Oxbridge, I mean universities that don't belong in the category of those that don't really deserve the name. I'm not being snobby, I'm just telling the OP this because schools will advise whatever best suits them, not necessarily what's best for the student. Now that the school league tables exist, schools are motivated to put their own interests first, so it's a good idea to do your own research as well as listen to what the school has to say.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

CEM, two A' levels wouldn't be enough to secure a place on most courses at most universities, not the just the very best. When I say 'good' I don't mean Oxbridge, I mean universities that don't belong in the category of those that don't really deserve the name. I'm not being snobby, I'm just telling the OP this because schools will advise whatever best suits them, not necessarily what's best for the student. Now that the school league tables exist, schools are motivated to put their own interests first, so it's a good idea to do your own research as well as listen to what the school has to say.
Both our sons were offered places at Sheffield, Liverpool Uni's and both Uni's are members of the Russell Group, one son choose a lower ranked Uni but is much more happier there. I also have the thought that if your child wants to learn they will learn be it at a "Top" School or one of those education centres that do not belong in a "catergory", I do take exception to " Schools advising them whatever best suits them" you must of been very unfortunate if thats been your experience, mine/our experience has certainly been very positive and helpful but I would not "tell" someone thats how it is because of that. Both our sons are Home Students so were offered Student Loans part of the course I expect and as I have said the Uni's decide that matter not us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.