Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Chances of employment after 20 years abroad

Chances of employment after 20 years abroad

Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of employment after 20 years abroad

Frankly - you are going to struggle, no way to sugar coat it! Plus most private foreign students in the UK tend to be in the more expensive places to live. (for example, lots of colleges in Bournemouth)

Is the business you were in translatable to the UK? Self employment may be your best bet, or get by on a mix of part time 'gigs' (TEFL/ delivery driving etc)

Good news is that there are a lot of jobs in the UK, but lucrative ones are difficult to get into as a returning 40 year old with few credentials I am afraid
Old Feb 5th 2018, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried this path when I was in my 40s. Tried to get into teaching EFL or other subjects for which I was qualified after many years teaching abroad. Got nowhere and in the end after a frustrating 10 years went back to the Sands of Arabia.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

pkennedy1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found a CELTA program online through London Teachers College and the cheapest programme was £49, but I don't know how much good that one will do someone trying to use it in the UK. I think that one was meant for people going abroad, or like me, already abroad and doing it online to try to scrape together enough money while still abroad to get "home" to London (I'm Irish that's why the quotes).

I don't know about my chances of finding work in either London or Ireland when/if I make it back alive (I've been robbed three times in one calendar year and all on the North American continent. Once by the "authorities" of US Customs and Border Paranoia, then two more times by ordinary robbers here in Mexico). But coming back is probably my only hope of staying alive.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

pkennedy1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
I tried this path when I was in my 40s. Tried to get into teaching EFL or other subjects for which I was qualified after many years teaching abroad. Got nowhere and in the end after a frustrating 10 years went back to the Sands of Arabia.

Even if I get nowhere (I'm in my upper 40's too...and returning with mostly "overseas" qualifications except the one from London Teachers College and the one from University of Liège) I figure while I try whatever I'm going to try, I'll have time to go have necessary medical treatment on the NHS. Dental and a hysterectomy, I mean.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

pk

Good thinking
Old Feb 13th 2018, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does not look good at all for you.....Brexit, immigration issues, visa issues, certification issues....wow what a headache for you......good luck tho.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chrissmithx
I'm still looking at the possibility of returning home soon, however the ability to find suitable employment is proving to be problematic.

I've lived and worked in Taiwan for 20 years as a teacher of English, have a good list of corporate and private clients, am a Cambridge examiner for a few of their tests, have been a partner in a business. However, I don't have formal teaching qualifications and probably wouldn't want to teach in the UK. My degree is in industrial design - a field I left when I moved to Taiwan. Doesn't look great, does it?

On previous UK family visits I have signed up with recruiting websites and considered teaching through the government's Get into teaching programme. Recruiters seem not to know what to suggest and the Get into teaching programme, while well organised, would probably make me destitute - I have two very young and smart kids.

So now to my question: Has anyone found themselves to be in a similar difficulty and found solutions either before they moved, or when they hit the ground? The UK seems like such a foreign place to me at the moment. And the reason for returning is of course family.

Thank you for reading and responding.
Any update on your current situation, Chris? I'm in a similar situation to you (although I only have one child and not two).

Thanks,

Mark