Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Cattle class for us and 1st for the dog ....

Cattle class for us and 1st for the dog ....

Old Aug 14th 2018, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

sillius soddus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cattle class for us and 1st for the dog ....

Hello Guys,
Can anyone recommend a good company for handling the cargo shipment of our dog to the UK ... on the same flight as us ?
Air Transat use Seaair and have quoted us $3100 ...... Air Canada a different freight company at $3700 .... British Airways said just arrange it yourselves.
She is a medium sized Dog - 70lbs - so has to travel as cargo.

At this kind of price she'd better get a decent steak .....
This is a bit of a shock as our seats are only around $500 each.

We will be travelling October 18th from Toronto to (preferably Manchester) otherwise Heathrow/Gatwick.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Mick
Old Aug 15th 2018, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cattle class for us and 1st for the dog ....

We went from Australia to UK and used a company called Dogtainers. They have offices in a number of countries, so might be worth looking up. Costs depend on size of the crate, our little one is a chihuahua and total cost was about $4000. We didn't get the same flight - he flew Emirates while we got the cheapest available which was Qatar. This can have a plus, as wait times at Heathrow can be long - we were then told to expect 4 hours minimum for him to clear. So, he got an earlier flight.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 11:48 am
Just Joined

thanks for the info ..
Old Aug 16th 2018, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you love the dog you will pay it.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 4:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
if you love the dog you will pay it.

Mick was asking for recommendations for a good company, so that their dog could travel on the flight with them. Your comment doesn't make sense, and in fact sounds rude!
Old Aug 16th 2018, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

$2800 Orlando to Gatwick with Virgin.

I have a vision of me cramped up in economy trying to cut up my rubbery airline food whilst trying to avoid having elbow sex with the person sitting next to me. Meanwhile, up in first class, is my little pooch snoozing away merrily on a fully reclining dog bed after consuming a few bowls of caviar flavoured Winalot.

Oh and $365 for a dog crate.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
$2800 Orlando to Gatwick with Virgin.

I have a vision of me cramped up in economy trying to cut up my rubbery airline food whilst trying to avoid having elbow sex with the person sitting next to me. Meanwhile, up in first class, is my little pooch snoozing away merrily on a fully reclining dog bed after consuming a few bowls of caviar flavoured Winalot.

Oh and $365 for a dog crate.
You just have to tell yourself that you know what is happening to you and about how long you are going to have to endure it, whereas poor pooch has no idea what is going on so it is worth the money to make the journey as comfortable as possible.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys for the positive responses. Of course I know it has to be paid. I just want to make sure we are getting fair or is it fare value and aren't getting ripped off.

The pricing here is all over the place.

Mick
Old Aug 16th 2018, 11:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sillius soddus
Thanks guys for the positive responses. Of course I know it has to be paid. I just want to make sure we are getting fair or is it fare value and aren't getting ripped off.

Mick
Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be sure you get a fair fare

This isn't much use as it's a different country, but we paid $4,200 Australian for our huge golden retriever 3 years ago (US$3,050). That included everything, 3 vet visits to our home, all the import documentation and flight bookings, all the vaccinations and worming treatments, crate, transport to Perth airport, flights with Emirates, a 10 hour break between flights in Dubai kennels, and transport from Manchester airport to our home on the Wirral.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 1:30 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Cattle class for us and 1st for the dog ....

Originally Posted by sillius soddus

Mick
The Cunard Queen Mary 2 is sailing from New York to Southampton, England on October 18th. There are dog kennels and a kennel master on the top deck (I have sailed on this crossing and seen dogs in the outside area). It might be worth checking if there is any availability or cancellations/wait list in the kennels. It is generally much, much cheaper than flying a dog over and there are usually great fares (comparable with airfares) and especially when you consider that you get a very comfy bed, can take as much luggage that you can fit into your room, loads of food to eat, entertainment, NO jet lag

Fares (for humans!) on the Oct 18 NY-Southampton crossing start from $699 + port fees of $77 per person (I assume an inside cabin), one way of course.....I guess if you’re taking your dog you don’t want a return trip? I would call them every day to see about cancellations. Dogs get sick and can’t travel....so do their owners.....

One BE member managed to get her four dogs on a crossing to Southampton a few years ago due to a last minute cancellation.......since you need to find out the kennel situation it’s best to call Cunard directly and discuss....there are reviews on websites such as Cruise Critic and YouTube videos of dogs on the QM2.

Another BE member (who still posts on the MBTTUK board) from time to time also moved from Canada to the UK via New York and the QM2...indeed I met her and her spouse in NYC; I seem to recall that they did a one way car or van rental to New York - although I stand to be corrected.

Just something to think about...

You can check the crossing dates on the QM2 New York to Southampton for 2018 and 2019 on www.seat61.com also www.cunard.com

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 17th 2018 at 1:37 am.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great idea to go on a cruise ship.
Unless the dog suffers from sea sickness of course.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 17th 2018 at 9:04 am. Reason: Stick with the help, drop the rude or snark or you'll be out for a while.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

nikaeDS is an unknown quantity at this point

You will need to complete the APHIS forms in order to take your dog into the UK - we are flying from Orlando to Manchester in October with 1 German Shepherd and 4 cats - also if you fly into Manchester you cannot do this on a weekend as their facility is not operational for pets as I understand it. You will need a crate large enough for the dog to be able to stand up, turn around comfortably and also ears should be 2-3" from the top of the inside of crate. We had to buy an extension to our crate as our German Shepherd is a rather large boy. Also you will need to add the dog to your Transfer of Residence (TOR).
Old Aug 18th 2018, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

The Cunard Queen Mary 2 is sailing from New York to Southampton, England on October 18th. There are dog kennels and a kennel master on the top deck (I have sailed on this crossing and seen dogs in the outside area). It might be worth checking if there is any availability or cancellations/wait list in the kennels. It is generally much, much cheaper than flying a dog over and there are usually great fares (comparable with airfares) and especially when you consider that you get a very comfy bed, can take as much luggage that you can fit into your room, loads of food to eat, entertainment, NO jet lag

Fares (for humans!) on the Oct 18 NY-Southampton crossing start from $699 + port fees of $77 per person (I assume an inside cabin), one way of course.....I guess if you’re taking your dog you don’t want a return trip? I would call them every day to see about cancellations. Dogs get sick and can’t travel....so do their owners.....

One BE member managed to get her four dogs on a crossing to Southampton a few years ago due to a last minute cancellation.......since you need to find out the kennel situation it’s best to call Cunard directly and discuss....there are reviews on websites such as Cruise Critic and YouTube videos of dogs on the QM2.

Another BE member (who still posts on the MBTTUK board) from time to time also moved from Canada to the UK via New York and the QM2...indeed I met her and her spouse in NYC; I seem to recall that they did a one way car or van rental to New York - although I stand to be corrected.

Just something to think about...

You can check the crossing dates on the QM2 New York to Southampton for 2018 and 2019 on www.seat61.com also www.cunard.com

Another vote for the QM2 for anyone with a dog or a large amount of luggage. I have been on this ship many times and, being a dog lover, have often wandered up to the kennels. Everyone seems very happy with the transportation and treatment of their pet.

Last year we were sailing NYC to UK...an elderly lady, dressed from head to foot in Channel was travelling to her pierre de terre in Monte Carlo. Walking several paces behind her was a butler, dressed in a red and black uniform...carrying a red velvet cushion, upon which lay a small white dog. I have a feeling the dog didn’t go into the kennels.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 1:41 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Another vote for the QM2 for anyone with a dog or a large amount of luggage. I have been on this ship many times and, being a dog lover, have often wandered up to the kennels. Everyone seems very happy with the transportation and treatment of their pet.

Last year we were sailing NYC to UK...an elderly lady, dressed from head to foot in Channel was travelling to her pierre de terre in Monte Carlo. Walking several paces behind her was a butler, dressed in a red and black uniform...carrying a red velvet cushion, upon which lay a small white dog. I have a feeling the dog didn’t go into the kennels.
I would have loved to have seen that, priceless