Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Cats Treatment To Go Back To Uk

Cats Treatment To Go Back To Uk

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

bonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cats Treatment To Go Back To Uk

Can anyone help me with the tick treatment my vet will have to use before my Cat fly's back to the UK.
I have checked DEFRA and I have emailed the help line but knowone knows what product to use in Canada.
My vet is not feeling 100% with the produced she would use (REVOLUTION ) as it doesn't state on the leaflet you can use it on cats.
Please if anyone can help.
Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:41 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cats Treatment To Go Back To Uk

Originally Posted by bonny
Can anyone help me with the tick treatment my vet will have to use before my Cat fly's back to the UK.
I have checked DEFRA and I have emailed the help line but knowone knows what product to use in Canada.
My vet is not feeling 100% with the produced she would use (REVOLUTION ) as it doesn't state on the leaflet you can use it on cats.
Please if anyone can help.
Thanks

Take a look at www.bullwrinkle.com it advertises revolution and its usages for cats and dogs... My personal preference would be to use frontline top spot and frontline plus for long lasting tick and flea protection.

I aim to take my cats back to the uk when my time is up and our vet said that cats are treated for ticks on route to destination rather than before leaving.

Hope this helps
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I cant answer that however why dont you phone the Accredited vet and ask, you will find your nearest one on the DEFRA website.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

danski is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you get Frontline flea and tick treatment where you are? They do one separately for cats. You can buy it online if your vet doesn't have it.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I cant answer that however why dont you phone the Accredited vet and ask, you will find your nearest one on the DEFRA website.
HI,
I looked on DEFRA but could not find the Accredited vet area ?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Take a look at www.bullwrinkle.com it advertises revolution and its usages for cats and dogs... My personal preference would be to use frontline top spot and frontline plus for long lasting tick and flea protection.

I aim to take my cats back to the uk when my time is up and our vet said that cats are treated for ticks on route to destination rather than before leaving.

Hope this helps
As I understand it has to be 24-48 hrs before they get on the flight.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:07 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bonny
As I understand it has to be 24-48 hrs before they get on the flight.

I guess each vet is different.... Hope you manage to sort it out
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I've found this for you, in Canada it is the Canada Food Inspection Agency that deals with the Pet Travel Scheme. Here is their website and some more information.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...0021121e.shtml

Before your pet enters the UK, have it treated against ticks and a tapeworm
Your pet must be treated against ticks and a tapeworm between 24 - 48 hours before it is checked in for the journey to the United Kingdom. Any licensed veterinarian can carry out the treatment.

To search for products which are registered and approved for use in Canada against ticks and fleas, please go to the Pest Management Regulatory Agency (eddenet) web site address: http://www.eddenet.pmra-arla.gc.ca: click on 'Search ELSE' then enter under 'Search Full Contents of E-labels' "tick and dog and cat and not collar or dog and tick and topical insecticide" for a listing of available products (please note that collars are not acceptable form of treatment against ticks and fleas); or call 1-800-267-6315.

Products used for treatment against tapeworms must contain PRAZIQUANTEL as the active ingredient. To search for products which are registered and approved for use in Canada, please go to the Health Canada Drug Product Database at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpb/drugs-dpd. Please ensure you read the product label to ensure it can be used for dogs and/or cats.

Please ensure that the veterinarian rescans the microchip to ensure the number is correct and the chip is still readable.

5. Certification
A veterinarian authorised by the competent authority (licensed veterinarian) must provide all the pertinent information concerning identification and vaccination by completing the Veterinary Certificate.

Once all the steps above have been successfully completed, contact your local Canadian Food Inspection Agency Office to obtain an official endorsement by an official veterinarian (competent authority - CFIA veterinarian). The export certificate is available in PDF format only.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I've found this for you, in Canada it is the Canada Food Inspection Agency that deals with the Pet Travel Scheme. Here is their website and some more information.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...0021121e.shtml

Before your pet enters the UK, have it treated against ticks and a tapeworm
Your pet must be treated against ticks and a tapeworm between 24 - 48 hours before it is checked in for the journey to the United Kingdom. Any licensed veterinarian can carry out the treatment.

To search for products which are registered and approved for use in Canada against ticks and fleas, please go to the Pest Management Regulatory Agency (eddenet) web site address: http://www.eddenet.pmra-arla.gc.ca: click on 'Search ELSE' then enter under 'Search Full Contents of E-labels' "tick and dog and cat and not collar or dog and tick and topical insecticide" for a listing of available products (please note that collars are not acceptable form of treatment against ticks and fleas); or call 1-800-267-6315.

Products used for treatment against tapeworms must contain PRAZIQUANTEL as the active ingredient. To search for products which are registered and approved for use in Canada, please go to the Health Canada Drug Product Database at http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpb/drugs-dpd. Please ensure you read the product label to ensure it can be used for dogs and/or cats.

Please ensure that the veterinarian rescans the microchip to ensure the number is correct and the chip is still readable.

5. Certification
A veterinarian authorised by the competent authority (licensed veterinarian) must provide all the pertinent information concerning identification and vaccination by completing the Veterinary Certificate.

Once all the steps above have been successfully completed, contact your local Canadian Food Inspection Agency Office to obtain an official endorsement by an official veterinarian (competent authority - CFIA veterinarian). The export certificate is available in PDF format only.
Thank You so much.
I will check it out.