Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

To the Catholics on this board.

To the Catholics on this board.

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To the Catholics on this board.

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
If you're not looking to prove your point then why post the quote he made to strengthen your case? I dont follow that logic.
I've never stated a case either way. All I've ever discussed are constructs used to support alternative theories in an open debate. It's all about keeping an open mind.

Considering the universe/cosmos call it what you will is full of gasses and as you mention there was a "super hot mass" I can't see why there has to be a creator. It was a natural phenomenon as far as Im concerned.
I did not say there was a creator. I implied there was a Philosophical Conundrum at odds with the scientific theory. Ask yourself - what is a natural phenomenon? It simply means something not produced by human involvement. So that would explain Lightning, Water, Volcanoes, thunderstorms etc, etc, all of which can be explained through changes in chemical structure, interraction with external forces or the bonding of elements. What you have to ask yourself is how did they first get there?

So, how convenient it would be if the followers of Intelligent Design after facing years of proof against the existence of God suddenly jump ship into believing that theer was a creator of the universe and that is actually who they meant all along.
Not all follwers of ID are bible-bashers. Some maintain a secular stance. However, you seem hell-bent on ever even contemplating the idea of a God. So, what proof do you have against the existence of God - Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Photos, Videos. Please explain?

Let me also tell you that I once read a theory that basically states the entire Universe is nothing more than a cell in the arm of some giant being. Now. Wouldn't that be a thing? And I swear I was not on any drugs at the time!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:18 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Let me also tell you that I once read a theory that basically states the entire Universe is nothing more than a cell in the arm of some giant being. Now. Wouldn't that be a thing? And I swear I was not on any drugs at the time!
Horton Hears a Who.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

I've never stated a case either way. All I've ever discussed are constructs used to support alternative theories in an open debate. It's all about keeping an open mind.
You case is the idea that we should keep an open mind about there being a creator and to me it's like saying we should keep an open mind about there being a toothfairy.

I did not say there was a creator. I implied there was a Philosophical Conundrum at odds with the scientific theory.
Did it occur to anyone that maybe such a conundrum exists because science, as advanced as we think it is, is still way to far in the dark ages to explain the conundrum. That when it does explain it there might actually be a perfectly logical answer that is totally unrelated to their being any form of intelligent design?

So, what proof do you have against the existence of God - Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Photos, Videos. Please explain?
Oh I see, because you can't convince me of there being a possibility of the existence of God, in order to prove your point I have to prove the non existence of a God?

I could mention that for starters he's never shown his face to a living mortal. Pretty much everything attributed to him has not one shred of scientific proof.
Prayers of the faithful go unanswered in the vast majority of cases simply because most humans only pray when they're in the shit and actually need God's help. If he existed why didn't he guide them from the shit or atleast answer the prayers and get them out of it?
The existence of cancers, AID's, heart disease, TB, Ebola etc etc go some way to proving that if there was an all caring God he's not got his eye on the ball.
I expect your reply to that being along the lines of "Ahh but that's all part of his masterplan" (Of which I'm suprised you've been made privy to) or a reason explaining why in the long term those bad things some mortals suffer are a good thing in the long term when we get our reward in heaven.
Ultimately, it's not up to me to prove the non existence of God, he's doing a fantastic enough job of that as it is. It's up to God to prove his existence to me. Having a run of good luck doesn't prove his existence, however, seeing as he is supposed to be an all compassionate God, having a run of bad luck kinda confirms that he's done a Lord Lucan.

I thought it was an atom under the giants fingernail, read the same thing somewhere once. Of course you weren't on any drugs... the author was the one on drugs.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

You case is the idea that we should keep an open mind about there being a creator and to me it's like saying we should keep an open mind about there being a toothfairy.
An open mind is a good thing.

Did it occur to anyone that maybe such a conundrum exists because science, as advanced as we think it is, is still way to far in the dark ages to explain the conundrum. That when it does explain it there might actually be a perfectly logical answer that is totally unrelated to their being any form of intelligent design?
At least you now recognise there is a conundrum. Why it exists? I don't know, and until it's proved/disproved it will remain as such, and by implication still possesses more than one solution.

Oh I see, because you can't convince me of there being a possibility of the existence of God, in order to prove your point I have to prove the non existence of a God?
I've never tried to convince you either way, because I'm not taking a definitive stance. As I keep stressing - my mind is open and I've stated arguments as to why that's the case. You, however are convinced there is no other explanation than the big bang and evolution, a dogma the Church in the 16th c. would be proud of.

I could mention that for starters he's never shown his face to a living mortal. Pretty much everything attributed to him has not one shred of scientific proof.
Now your'e just being ridiculous. Everyone knows God is a She.

Prayers of the faithful go unanswered in the vast majority of cases simply because most humans only pray when they're in the shit and actually need God's help. If he existed why didn't he guide them from the shit or atleast answer the prayers and get them out of it?
There you go. Back to organised religion again

The existence of cancers, AID's, heart disease, TB, Ebola etc etc go some way to proving that if there was an all caring God he's not got his eye on the ball.
I could also say what about charity, generosity, kindness, altruism, medical advancements - antibiotics have saved millions.

I expect your reply to that being along the lines of "Ahh but that's all part of his masterplan"
Maybe He - sorry She is bored. Like any number of creator's once the work is complete they move on to something else. The Universe is a big place you know!

we get our reward in heaven.
Yet again, back you go to organised religion. I have never said said there is a link between a possible creator and religion.

Ultimately, it's not up to me to prove the non existence of God, he's doing a fantastic enough job of that as it is. It's up to God to prove his existence to me.
Explain? What exactly is it that He is doing?

Having a run of good luck doesn't prove his existence, however, seeing as he is supposed to be an all compassionate God
Sheesh! Not again with the biblical/organised religion stuff. Are you sure you're not a closet bible-basher?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

An open mind is a good thing.

At least you now recognise there is a conundrum. Why it exists? I don't know, and until it's proved/disproved it will remain as such, and by implication still possesses more than one solution.

I've never tried to convince you either way, because I'm not taking a definitive stance. As I keep stressing - my mind is open and I've stated arguments as to why that's the case. You, however are convinced there is no other explanation than the big bang and evolution, a dogma the Church in the 16th c. would be proud of.

Now your'e just being ridiculous. Everyone knows God is a She.

There you go. Back to organised religion again

I could also say what about charity, generosity, kindness, altruism, medical advancements - antibiotics have saved millions.

Maybe He - sorry She is bored. Like any number of creator's once the work is complete they move on to something else. The Universe is a big place you know!

Yet again, back you go to organised religion. I have never said said there is a link between a possible creator and religion.

Explain? What exactly is it that He is doing?

Sheesh! Not again with the biblical/organised religion stuff. Are you sure you're not a closet bible-basher?
FFS. The whole ethos of this thread is regarding the existence of God and the Catholic church (look at the thread title) and you keep rolling your eyes and asking why I keep mentioning religion.

You call him a creator, others call him God. That is why I repeatedly mention the word "God" and the subject of religion.

Im sticking to the topic.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

FFS. The whole ethos of this thread is regarding the existence of God and the Catholic church (look at the thread title) and you keep rolling your eyes and asking why I keep mentioning religion.

You call him a creator, others call him God. That is why I repeatedly mention the word "God" and the subject of religion.

Im sticking to the topic.
No. Not FFS. The thread was originally about the Angels & Demons movie - which I've still not been to see.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

No. Not FFS. The thread was originally about the Angels & Demons movie - which I've still not been to see.
Which is a movie about religion and relating to the existence of God!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Which is a movie about religion and relating to the existence of God!
Come on now!.. The thread, like your precious Mr. Drawin's theory evolved into a much more detailed structure. Don't go scurrying back to the beginning because you've run out of responses. For a man of your obvious intelligence that's way below par.

Anyway. I'm bored now. Wanna discuss something else?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

Come on now!.. The thread, like your precious Mr. Drawin's theory evolved into a much more detailed structure. Don't go scurrying back to the beginning because you've run out of responses. For a man of your obvious intelligence that's way below par.

Anyway. I'm bored now. Wanna discuss something else?
I didnt go scurrying back, you asked why I kept mentioning God and religion after obviously forgetting what the whole thread was about.

and his name was "Darwin".
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really nice

I didnt go scurrying back, you asked why I kept mentioning God and religion after obviously forgetting what the whole thread was about.

Bloody hell!

I didn't come on the site for intelligent conversation. This is America people. This is the most intelligent thing I've read in 2 years.

Now I'm homesick and its you 2 bastard's fault. I'll let you off if you arrange for the Times and the Observer to arrive at my house first thing on sunday morning. Preferably with smoked back bacon and tomato sausages.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lover not a fighter
Bloody hell!

I didn't come on the site for intelligent conversation. This is America people. This is the most intelligent thing I've read in 2 years.

Now I'm homesick and its you 2 bastard's fault. I'll let you off if you arrange for the Times and the Observer to arrive at my house first thing on sunday morning. Preferably with smoked back bacon and tomato sausages.
I thought the messiah was kevin keegan.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I posted the thread and titled it 'To the Catholics on this board' is because having being raised catholic (non practising now) I had little idea about the secret societies that evolved from the catholic religion. Obviously most of the movie is Hollywood hype however I have since learned that a lot of the underlying story is based on true facts.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:03 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I just started reading The Great Influenza by John Barry.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought you mentioned in an earlier post you had raised your arguments above this?

No need to be pedantic?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:06 am
Account Closed

I thought you mentioned in an earlier post you had raised your arguments above this?
No. I think that was your tac not mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.